Chased in the Paddock by Standardbreds

Laya

Dec 7, 1999
Pennsville, NJ USA
A few days ago, I went out to get Justin from his paddock. There were two new horses out there. Two Standardbreds from the track. they were small and wirey. Full of energy too. They were quietly grazing while I went about my business... getting Justin to bring him out to groom him. When I was leading Justin back to the barn, I heard hoofbeats behind me. When I turned, I saw the two Standardbreds chasing after us. I quickly unhooked Justin (just in case they decided to run so close to him that he spooked), and I started to walk back to the barn, and Justin followed me like I knew he would. Well, these two new horses ran up on us, and one of them ran into me and turned and aimed his back feet at me. The two horses (or ponies since they were pony size) continued their attack... bucking at me and rearing all the way to the barn. Justin, amazingly, put himself between me and one of the horses, getting kicked in the side. I managed to get out with a few minor bruises and bumps and one bite on my shoulder. i brought this "attack" up with the manager at the barn and he told me that they were just being frisky. I was in that "frisky play" as he so-called it, and it wasn't playful. They had their ears pinned and aimed at me!! Is it normal for horses to so viciously attack someone like that??? Also, how should I avoid another one of these attacks???the horses' owner hasn't been to the barn when I'm there yet and the manager won't do anything about it. what should I do with these two horses??? Should I start wearing a helmet when I go out to get Justin??? :(

People make fun of me because I wear a helmet when I go out to get my horse, but do you know that the most accidents occure with horses on the ground :eek:? So, YES wear a helmet outside! You can save yourself!

Thanks for your advice. I have my (almost 8) cousin wear a helmet when she comes to the barn to visit me. Especially when I have Justin out, even though he's the safest horse in the barn around kids. Just because he's one of the youngest. Even if I wear a helmet, because the Standardbreds' kicks were...well aimed... at my head, it won't hurt to wear my helmet on the ground, but they did knock me down several times. I found their behavior unacceptable.

How old are these horses, Laya? I'm thinking they might be yearlings or so? (just going by your desc on the size...pony size would be very small for an adult Standardbred!) Anyway, if they're youngsters, they DO play a bit harder! (Our ideas of play and horse's can be very different). If it was truly aggressive, than I'm not sure what to tell you! Sorry, but maybe someone will come along that has more knowledge than I. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with a "mean" horse. I have re-trained a few that other people perceived to be mean and/or overly aggessive. But, they really didn't WANT to be that way, they just didn't know any other way to be. (hope that made sense! ;) :D

If the horses are doing it to you they are probably doing it to someone else. Perhaps you can band together about maybe seperating these horses till they learn their manners! Just please don't blame it on them being Standardbreds! As you might know I just adopted one and hes a sweetheart, I would trust him with my kids. But I agree with (?)(sorry forgot who said it!)that they must be very young to be pony sized. Marty is about 16/4 hh and he seemed to be average from what I saw in the barn when I picked him up.
But you are paying for a safe place to ride etc., and that is NOT safe. Carry a big whip? but then the owners may get on you if you strike them.
Was your horse hurt?

Just reread your post! You got bit!!!Freak out a little on these people,getting your horse from a pasture shouldn't be painful.
That is unacceptable that something wasn't done at least an apology . Even when my Girly was a baby that wasn't accepted towards people. Horses need to know the difference between humans and other animals. Carry a whip!!!a big one :)

okay, that is *completely* insane, Laya! i'm with bren on this - definitely get on the barn managers about this; it's entirely unacceptable!

i just can't believe they thought nothing of it when you actually got bruised and bitten - to think how much worse it could have been had you fallen down! :mad: i don't even want to think about it.

give 'em hell, girl. really. good luck, and be safe out there!

If you have to venture into the field again try talking "Equus" and making yourself look like a bear going to attack them - arms up and make a lot of unfriendly noise. Along with wearing a hat and carrying a stick, and perhaps a well aimed pebble or two. I hope you are not having to ride in the field too!

hey - just curious. what did you mean by "make 'heck' out there"? you have me completely confused! :eek:

[This message has been edited by cynthia (edited 31 December 1999).]

Laya, rather than just a regular riding crop, carry a lunge whip or driving whip if you have one. They are bigger and make a nice popping sound that usually intimidates horses. There is absolutely no reason why you should have to put up with this. Talk to the barn manager, and ask him to talk to the owners. If he refuses or 'forgets', ask him for their phone number so you can talk to them, or ask him if your horse can be moved to a different pasture.

Allie

I agree with Allie, this is dangerous behavior that shouldn't be tolerated, at any age! My gelding did this one to me, and once to my mom and once to my dad. With me, I went in and got my lunge whip and went right back out there, when he came after me again, I let him have it. He was suprised. When he started threatening me from a "safe distandc" (I couldn't get him, but he was kicking up his heals and tossing his head with his ears back) so I picked up a couple of stones and peged him with them. That caught his attention and after about a week of carrying stones in my pocket and peging him with them when ever he got agressive at all with me, he quit, but in the mean time I had to go away and my parents had to feed him, he bit my mom, and whent for my dad when he was cleaning barn, dad nailed him in the rump with the flat end of the shovel he had (He didn't have anything else to hit him with and he only did it once) My gelding wanted to be the boss of someone, so he picked on me, after about a week he was okay again, and I haven't had any trouble with him sence in the 4 years that I've had him. Your horse sounds like a really nice horse, one that looks out for you and is a really good friend. I'm glad you had someone on your side out there, and I hope something is done to teach these horses some maners. More than likely, if the pare of trouble makers are seperated, one will turn out to be a nice guy with out the other one insigating this play fighting or what ever, maybe not, but maybe you could talk to the owerns and see if they would be willing to either seperate the pare, or make sure the trouble makers are out of the pasture when you're comeing over. I also agree that there has to be someone else they've done this to and you should talk to them about haveing these horses taught some ground maners, which is basicly what they need. good luck and hopefully nothing like this will happen again

Thanks everyone for all of the advice!! And, yes, for some reason, Justin seems to take looking out for me like it's his duty!! :) Well, these two horses are probably somewhere around 14 or so hands high. The manager said their "retired racers" (from harness racing), but they do look and act a bit young. Just the other day, this dark bay tried to make a run or something like a run at me. He stood watching me, and he jumped up on his hind feet in little reaing motions and shook his head at me (like I was being challenged) so in return I took a few false running steps at HER, and flapped my arms and started screaming really loud at her, swearing at her actualy, and she did a fake charge again, and thne I pegged her with a stone in her shoulder. She ran straight past me then, and the black one followed her. I've left a notice on the notice board about these two's behavior and I got a reply from their owners: "That doesn't sound like my horses!" So I'm going to take it up with the manager and make hell. What else can I do? No, I don't have to ride in there anymore.

No, actually. See, the funny thing is the other horses' owners never are really around. These two Standardbreds, well, their owner actually hasn't even been seen by me. I've met one of the older, retired horses owner once, that's all. So, actually, there's been news whatsoever.

newrider.com