Chassis -buy your own or expert source?

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
We are in the very early stages of costing a horse box. I have the internal spec sorted, size of rear door, locker positions etc all scoped out with the company however now we are onto the chassis. I know nothing really about what is good or bad. They do source chassis and have asked for my preferences. Got to be manual, not fussed on make (Peugeot, Citroen, Renault etc not fussed) but what is an acceptable mileage? Ideally I'd like full service history, well maintained with paperwork to prove it. Hubby said under 80k mileage but realistically I won't be adding many more miles onto it. The chassis cost will determine if this is a viable project as that may tip us over budget a smidge!

I'd get the price (or a ball park) from them plus consider any extra they might offer in terms of warranty etc. Then see what you can find plus consider that you would want a professional to deem it fit and sound, baring in mind you may invalidate any warranty from where you get it due to modifying it. In terms of come back if there's any issue it might be better if they source it, I guess it depends how much more it puts on the overall cost as to weather that is worth it.

A couple of things I was was told when researching (and I absolutely don't know anything about trucks so I could be talking rubbish!). You probably have found these things out already, but just in case....

Not sure what size truck you are are thinking about, but for the 7.5t trucks a tilt cab makes servicing easier/cheaper.
The big trucks are built to do many more miles than a car. Its common to see them with 200k+ miles. My (6.5t) box has 195k km and still drives well.

If you are having a 3.5t coach built consider a cat 2(??) write off. You can get one where all of the damage is on the van part and that is going to be cut off anyway. They are a lot cheaper! I understand that when(if) you sell it it has to be declared to the buyer.

From my experience go for the newest truck you can get (rather than lowest mileage). The newer trucks tend to be more fuel efficient. Mine does about 20mpg which tends to make trips out quite expensive!

I'm don't know anything about building your own box (I bought mine as it is more or less) but I would be wary of buying anything that isn't a 'common' manufacture and easy and cheap to get hold of parts for. My box is an Daewoo Avia (7.5 tonne) and although it's relatively new, relatively economical and very easy to drive (I love it), I've found that some bigger garages don't like it because they don't want to source the parts. The parts are actually compatible with other makes (eg DAF) but whilst smaller mechanics will take the time and trouble to find out, the bigger workshops don't want the effort. Not that you'll need new parts for a while with yours hopefully!

Sorry, should have put its for a 3.5 ton! Coz of being so young (ha ha! With all my grey hair) I can't drive anything bigger. Thanks for all the tips! I'd have gone on age not mileage so good to hear someone else say that. Any chassis they supply comes with 1 year MOT, full service and a years warranty on gear box and engine which is what makes them sourcing it quite appealing.

Reactions: GaryB and Jessey
newrider.com