Cheap electric fencing- need help.

Treacs

Aug 21, 2004
Cardiff
Visit site
I need everyone's help asap. My horses have been moved into the quarantine field temporarily as one of them has been chewing tails :rolleyes:, a new horse is arriving on Tuesday (I think) and I've just found out about it properly tonight after a call from the yard owner.

I have three options whilst the quarantine field is in use;

I can either put my horse out with his old field mates providing he is muzzled (I'm reluctant to do this as he is only rising two and finds it hard to keep the weight on as it is).

I can turn him and my other horse out with the cows although I'm a little worried about the fencing in the field and about things being passed on from the cows, my horse is also in the middle of being treated for lice with dectomax, it's taken months and with the help of the vet I think I've managed to get it under control- I don't want to be back to square one.

Or finally, I can buy some electric fencing and strip off a piece of paddock in a seperate field away from the yard.

I think the last option seems like the best, I don't have much money, don't really understand all the bits and pieces I need fencing wise and the sets are around the £180 mark. Any ideas or help? :confused:

Thank you. :)

Basic parts to make up an electric fence are :

posts - I recommend getting the taller versions as even in winter with rugs on, the horses will "touch the tape" with their necks and being taller, they might not try to jump over fencing either. I personally have those with 'stirrup' bases as they're dead easy to push in the ground and less likely to break imo

tape - tape or rope. Tape is safer and the wider is more visible BUT be careful in windy areas as wider tape will oscillate more in the wind.
electrifying unit - if it's a temporary/mobile fencing it's easier to get a (car)

battery charged unit. Be realistic with the length you need to electrify, although a bigger unit will always give a "stronger shock", you might not need a unit which is meant for 30kms of fencing ...

2 handles to get your horses in and out of their paddock

If you're using the current field fencing for one or several sides (ie you're taking the bottom corner of the field) then you will need to take post fixations to be able to start and finish the fence.

Have you investigated why your horse is eating tails in the first place ? Bear in mind that hair is a natural wormer ....

Thanks, that helped a lot. :)

Tail wise I've never seen him do it, he's correctly wormed up to date. I'm not sure why he's doing it. A few of us think it could've been because there wasn't much grass in the field when it was first noticed and it's a habit that has continued on, plus the fact he's a baby, he's not teething yet or anything. I think he's just being a playful little monster. :p

Playful monster maybe but it's causing (you) his mum stress she could do without, I'm sure ! :)
Might be the opportunity to put a nasty tasting cribox or equivalent product in your other horse's tail to discourage the youngster, if they're in a field together.

Just one thing for the electric tape or rope. (I add rope as I use 6mm rope BUT I have hedges behind as back-up, visual and the rest).
Have a look at the metal used for the conducting wires. Copper conducts better but also oxidizes and breaks quicker. Stainless steel conducts a little less than copper but is much longer lasting.
Tape will also have a tendency of folding over so you'll regularly have to go and "pull it flat".

Thanks, me thinks a trip to countrywide is in order. I'll make sure I have a look at all the options and no doubt annoy the shop assistant. :rolleyes
Is it sad that I'm making a list of your tips? :eek:

I've got some cribstop and a tail rap on order- it might be cheaper to supply the liveries with their own rather than buying a fence! :p

Thanks, me thinks a trip to countrywide is in order. I'll make sure I have a look at all the options and no doubt annoy the shop assistant. :rolleyes
Is it sad that I'm making a list of your tips? :eek:

Not at all, if I can be of any help :)

I've got some cribstop and a tail rap on order- it might be cheaper to supply the liveries with their own rather than buying a fence! :p

Absolutely! But be careful with tail wraps. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this but if it's like a tail bag, not such a good idea with the fly season arriving ...

I'm hoping it'll be ok, you wrap it into a plait and it can stay on for up to 10-14 days at a time apparently, not that I'll be keeping it on that long. It also has the option of leaving it loose so the horses can still swish the flies away, I've done my research into this matter. ;):p

When Bo was out grazing with cows they tried chewing his tail, I sprayed his tail for about a month with liquid criboff, put them off that idea pretty quickly :D might be worth a try, it did make his tail a bit mucky/sticky but it washed out easily.

Farmcare uk online is really good for fencing, 2 rolls of tape are only 18.00 and the posts are much cheaper than most places

newrider.com