Cheque in post - not for me...

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Had a birthday card through the post for a person (not a previous owner as far as we know and not us)....opened it as was just going to throw it away and there is a cheque in there....will ask Nextdoor if they recognise the name as they have lived here since the house was built.....but if not any ideas how we would locate her?!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Or perhaps I could go to the bank and get them to notify the account holders that she no longer lives here (or never did and they have the wrong address?!)

Reactions: Trewsers

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Hmm. Could the post mark be seen clearly? Might give a clue as to which depot it came via? Could you email Royal Mail to ask advice? They may have a way of tracing? Seems a shame when its a birthday cheque. How odd to get the recipients address so wrong though - I mean, presumably you haven't just moved in there? One would think if the sender was in contact regularly with the intended then they'd know the right address?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
We have lived here 7 years....we know the previous owners names (they lived here for about 5 years)....it could potentially be the people before them, but I can't remember their names! Nextdoor are away so will ask when they get home :)

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Nothing suprises me with post, we had a gentleman come to the shop to hand over his life membership cards,they weren't for him they were the previous owners who had moved out 17 years prior! I would just contact the bank that the cheque belongs to and ask them to cancel the cheque and let the account holder know,the fact the cheque won't clear should give an idea but you never know!

Chrisnscully

Banned
Aug 11, 2007
Legally you're not allowed to open anyone else's post. Bin it.

No - opening someone else’s mail is allowed in certain circumstances under the Postal Services Act 2000. It is only an offence if you open someone else’s mail ‘without reasonable excuse’ or if you ‘intend to act to another’s detriment'.

Finding out where to redirect the contents is reasonable excuse and you are acting in their interest not to their detriment.

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
my father brought into the office a HUGE box of posh chocolates that had been delivered to his address. They were addressed to the old lady who previously lived in his house, who had died about 2 or 3 yrs previously. He contacted the company ( Thorntons online) and they just said to keep them, The thing that was odd though was they stated in the message Happy Mothers day !!!!!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
my father brought into the office a HUGE box of posh chocolates that had been delivered to his address. They were addressed to the old lady who previously lived in his house, who had died about 2 or 3 yrs previously. He contacted the company ( Thorntons online) and they just said to keep them, The thing that was odd though was they stated in the message Happy Mothers day !!!!!

How odd, maybe a son or daughter that had been out of contact then for some time.....weird.