Chickens: eggs goin AWOL?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I have two chooks, Blanche and Bessie. They are both good layers, in their first year - 5 or 6 eggs a week. Bessie lays brown eggs and Blanche white ones.

Except no Blanche eggs for the last 4 days. Question:

? Is she sick? (Apparently not, she looks splendid and is behaving quite normally)

? Is she on strike? I wouldn't put this past her, as she is a bolshy flighty birdie.

(drum roll) Is she - LAYING SOMEWHERE ELSE?

If so, where in God's name do I look? They have the run of the garden - the damn things could be anywhere.

Suggestions gratefully received...... :unsure:

What's the weather been like down your way - if it's cold and dark then she could have gone off lay but tbh, it's more likely that she's laid them elsewhere:redface: Happy hunting!! Most prob in a quiet corner of the garden - do you have a compost at all? Neighbours hen managed to hatch 10 chicks in the compost pile one winter much to everyone surprise!

Give her some extra tasty treats just to make sure she's ok, the other hen's not bullying her is she?

We look after our employers' five and they went off lay for about 4 months. Back sporadically now... a couple of years ago Dom thought they'd gone off lay and then found a nest of 21! Good luck with your search :giggle:

Happy hunting Jane! Although it is possible that she just hasn't laid any for a few days, but my money is on her maybe going broody and laying somewhere else. 2 of my hens never lay in the box and I have to check the various locations everyday.:giggle:

At this time of year you cannot be sure of an egg supply, I am pleased to get any from out lot.

Hedgehogs are notorious egg thieves. DO you have a hedgehog infestation???

we have around 10 hens and we have had 3 eggs in the last 4 months, they are not old hens or moulting it's just the dreadful weather i think

Ours are on strike....again.
Often hide them too but searched everywhere!
Got a mix of old and young birds. Ours get wheat and maize which is probably why they are not bothering their bums to lay. I refuse to buy layers pellets though.

ok happy hacker what's your secret? Mine have adlib corn in 2 sack containers, self serve. they are free range in an orchard and two hen houses so they are not overcrowded they get the odd snack of bread or pasta or potato leftovers.

hardly an egg since October.

I have no idea, they just get layers pellets, corn and the odd bit of bread - like yours, they are free to roam in the paddock - they're just normal brown hens - not fancy breeds and they must be around 3 or 4yo now.

Layers pellets is definately the way to go.
I can't justify buying whwn we have free wheat and corn. They get pellets in summer when the pheasants are on them though. Can't get rid of enough eggs in summer!

Ours get wheat and bakery waste!......all manner of bakery waste, I am getting about 5 eggs a week now.

newrider.com