Chickens!!!

X

xJenniferx

My dad has gone from breeding doves to finches and now chickens. Initally he started breeding hybrids, but discovered bantams and mainly the serama. He has now ended up with nearly 20 chickens (including 6 cockerals) and has 20 egss that are all fertile!! Sooo funny seeing my dad sinking ina see of chickens. :p

Thought I would post a few pics if anyone in interested:
21032009071.jpg

21032009068.jpg

21032009067.jpg

21032009066.jpg

21032009065.jpg

21032009053.jpg

They are fabulous! :D The cockerel in the second pic is a really handsome boy- love those tail feathers! Really like your dad's aviary too- did he build it himself?

As soon as I get a house with a big enough garden I am definitely going to get a few- I'd love to produce my own free range eggs! :) Apparently there is a scheme where you can adopt ex battery hens and make them free range, which is a great idea.

Just out of interest- do you have any trouble with foxes? I've been looking at ways to fox-proof chicken runs and quite a few people have mentioned that they are pretty good at breaking and entering.

Foxes aren't called cunning without reason. Ideally your run should be covered over (or at least 6 foot high) with good wire and dug under to at least a foot so they don't dig in!

There are a few ex-batt rehoming organisations. The largest is www.bhwt.org.uk. I'm the area co-ordinator for www.henrehomers.net. But there is also Little Hen Rescue and Free at Last.

Ex-batts are make great pets and are bred not only to lay eggs but to be relatively docile compared with some pure breds.

If you're interested in Serama Bantams then look at www.sunnysideserama.com. I can personally recommend the breeder as I have bought my TNN hens from her and will hopefully be again soon!

My dad doesnt have any problems with foxes. The run is well secured and the chickens, although allowed access to the outdoor area overnight, it is an ark, the the roost is above the run which is where the chickens generally stay over night.

The run is pretty solid and well made.

Jen
x

Last edited by a moderator:
Wally - did they ever get to the bottom of how a fox carcase came to be found? We were told about it because of the reference on the Jarl's proclamation.

newrider.com