Chloe has Cushings

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Not good news - her test came back positive so we've started on Prasend (sp?). Looks like the vets initial thought was right - the mud fever was only a symptom along with her other itchyness - coupled with the fact that the sores would just not heal and she had begun to get more patches of raw skin further up her legs. So, I am really hoping that the treatment helps her to heal - and that the mite injection is also of some benefit. She is confined to the school all day with a net until her back legs are well enough to wear the mud boots (it says not to use them until all traces have gone). Seems so unfair - I guess at nearly 23 she is bound to have some kind of age related problems - just hope the drugs work and she can go back out with madam before long. I am trying to break her boredom by joining her in the school for long scratches - it seems to cheer her up! Does anybody else know about this drug Prascend and if it has affected appetite? Vet said she may go off her food.

Sorry to hear this Trews, I'm afraid I can't offer any advice just good & healing vibes for darling Chloe to get better. Cushings is definitely not the end of the world though, hopefully once she is healed it can be managed and kept under control. A friend of mine had a horse with cushings, he lived until he was almost 30 and was a very happy chappy - it was a challenge as he had lots of medical problems but by no means impossible.

Hope Chloe and Storm don't get too lonely without each other x

Thanks Roxy. Yeah they are missing each other a wee bit, but about 4pm each day I've been putting Storm into the school so they can at least spend some time together. Least Chloe can see her in the paddock next door - poor girl must wonder why she's not allowed onto the grass tho! Darn mud.

If the drugs are built up you are less likely to have appetite issues.

Silver is allergic to the tablets (surprise surprise!) so we didn't get much further than that really.

I've got two with cushings and they are both fine on Prascend. One had appitite issues in his first season on the meds but that might have also been down to the amount that I upped the dose in relation to the time period given. With Prascend you can only easily go up .5mg/half tablet at a time and this was too much for him and he also ended up on 2.5mg that year too. I have some .25mg pergolide tabs now though and they help to stage the dose up or down much better.

I get mine tested regularly to keep tabs on their numbers but do my dosing by what I see in them week by week. That doesn't mean I change the dose, only if I feel I need to :) I also kept a diary during the first year so I refer back now to see if things have got any worse etc.

It's a real bummer but deffo not the end of the world :)

I'm so sorry to hear this (virtual scratches for Chloe on the way), but as others have said, should be manageable and she'll have a long and happy life in the Trewsers stable!

Oh no, I can't much more bad news. Bless her but hopefully the drugs will help and get it under control for her to carry on as normal. Hugs

I'm so sorry to hear this (virtual scratches for Chloe on the way), but as others have said, should be manageable and she'll have a long and happy life in the Trewsers stable!

Thanks - I will pass more scratches on to her!!! Hehe - I don't know who enjoys it more - me or her! Lol I can always enjoy wiling away the hours with her in the arena - she is such a warm fuzzy kinda lady!

So sorry to hear this Trews!

But as others have said, it is manageable and certainly with your care she'll be fine!

Just out of interest, what were the symptoms that made you get the test done?

we found parascend good and it did bring the blood levels down right back to normal (pity Ellie's feet chose to drop off first :stomp:) You do get what is know as a 'pergolide cloud' where for about two weeks they can seem a bit depressed/off colour and yes Ellie's appetite did get really bad but hers could have been pain related too as she never actually recovered her appetite properly. Ellie had diahorrea as a side effect with hers too but that was fairly easily solved with some other tablets from the vet.

newrider.com