Choosing a new bridle.....

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Getting Cyrus a new bridle, trying to choose which one to get him, will have to get online I think as shop nearish me only seems to do them with flashes which is a pity as really like one of theirs they stock but only comes with flash or grackle noseband.

Want a bridle with cavesson noseband and that is comfort style. He takes full size.

Basically like this http://www.triequestrian.ie/tri-equestrian-product-categories/for-the-horse?page=shop.product_details&flypage=youjoomla.tpl&product_id=3398&category_id=21 but with cavesson. This is one I liked from shop near me.

Here are some options, looking for opinions or other recommendations.

http://www.olddairysaddlery.co.uk/collegiate_cavesson_bridle~p~15251.html

This with the cavesson option and not sure which fastening is the normal one would that be 'klassic' and they don't have full size left but can see if can get elsewhere.

http://www.shop.sabreleather.co.uk/sabre-cordoba-stainless-steel-square-raised-snaffle-bridle-english--flash--fantastic-offer-691-p.asp

Slightly different version of it

http://www.shop.sabreleather.co.uk/sabre-cordoba-stainless-steel-round-raised-snaffle-bridle-english--flash-617-p.asp

Or maybe this?

http://www.hopevalleysaddlery.co.uk/196/Mark-Todd-Plain-Raised-Bridle-with-Cavesson-Noseband

Any advice, opinions or other suggestions would be great :biggrin:

Here is a few headshots of Cyrus so you can see what might suit him

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

Thanks everyone

Does he need the noseband?

Personally I prefer a noseband as I just feel it breaks up the face and looks a bit more normal(!) however, with his markings, I think he would actually suit no noseband?

Before I got Kis Vihar on here to make a bridle for Ziggy, I bought an English Leather hunter bridle with broad cavesson noseband from eBay.

Quite like this one though my maker was in Wolverhampton:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/English-leather-COMFORT-BRIDLE-HUNTER-Cavesson-noseband-/190520390790?pt=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item2c5be67486

It was a bargain, has softened nicely and fitted him well. He has a horse head like Cyrus although he is only 14.1 and cute, and a cob size bridle does him nicely.

Does he need the noseband?

Personally I prefer a noseband as I just feel it breaks up the face and looks a bit more normal(!) however, with his markings, I think he would actually suit no noseband?

I prefer a noseband but that is probably just what I am used to and he would have always had one, are cavessons mostly aesthetic?

Before I got Kis Vihar on here to make a bridle for Ziggy, I bought an English Leather hunter bridle with broad cavesson noseband from eBay.

Quite like this one though my maker was in Wolverhampton:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/English-leather-COMFORT-BRIDLE-HUNTER-Cavesson-noseband-/190520390790?pt=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item2c5be67486

It was a bargain, has softened nicely and fitted him well. He has a horse head like Cyrus although he is only 14.1 and cute, and a cob size bridle does him nicely.

I saw that one, trying to get him something a little bit padded or raised, I am not really a fan of the flat hunter look ones, not that I know much about them :giggle:

Main thing is for it to be comfortable on him and good quality.

I don't have a pic of his current one but it is a bit raised not completely flat anyway, it is not in great condition though or great quality, so want something nice for him.

My main criteria for bridles is always a cutaway headpiece.

I think far too many headpieces - not matter how expensive, put pressure on the back of the ears, and I am not sure the so called 'comfort' bridles with the noseband strap running over the top of the head piece, are really that comfortable,or that much different to conventional bridles.

And yes, a cavesson noseband is simply one that has no flash/drop noseband.

I think far too many headpieces - not matter how expensive, put pressure on the back of the ears, and I am not sure the so called 'comfort' bridles with the noseband strap running over the top of the head piece, are really that comfortable,or that much different to conventional bridles.

Thanks, that's interesting about the headpiece putting pressure on ears. Any recommendations of one that has cut away style. I think I remember seeing one online but can't remember where.

I agree, sjp. They seem to call everything "comfort bridle" these days. I bought Hebe one when she was new that was cut away behind the ears, because she was fussy about her ears, and she seems happy with this. Unfortunately it also has a "crank" noseband, with a flash loop, and you can't change it the way you can on an ordinary bridle because the bit is attached to it. I prefer the flat nosebands too, I think they're more traditional, but I think padded suit Hebe better for some reason. Nothing's perfect!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindaad/8489029175/

Last edited:
That looks very like mine, Gattino, although I don't think I bought it from them. The crank is a pain - it sort of loops round itself, so it's a pain to do up, you really need to work from both sides of the horse. Some people use them to strap the horse's mouth shut, but I just use it with a two-finger space, like an ordinary cavesson.

If you look at my pic, you can just see the little ring at the back of the noseband; the strap loops through it before you buckle it. I don't know why Hebe's looking so cross - maybe because I was wasting time taking pix instead of untacking her ...

Last edited:
That looks very like mine, Gattino, although I don't think I bought it from them. The crank is a pain - it sort of loops round itself, so it's a pain to do up, you really need to work from both sides of the horse. Some people use them to strap the horse's mouth shut, but I just use it with a two-finger space, like an ordinary cavesson.

I don't know why so many bridles seem to come with flash or crank as standard :unsure: wish there were more just with regular cavesson and normal one nuckle :giggle:

If you look at my pic, you can just see the little ring at the back of the noseband; the strap loops through it before you buckle it. I don't know why Hebe's looking so cross - maybe because I was wasting time taking pix instead of untacking her ...

I get you now about the crank, Hebe is gorgeous, and if is anything like mine is thinking untack me please I want to go eat :bounce:

Last edited:
I like crank noseband the name is misleading you dint have to crank them you can just fit as a normal noseband but there is padding under the chin too instead of the buckle,when I used to own leather tack I always used a crank never had rubs or unhappy horses but just don't crank it shut :D

I like crank noseband the name is misleading you dint have to crank them you can just fit as a normal noseband but there is padding under the chin too instead of the buckle,when I used to own leather tack I always used a crank never had rubs or unhappy horses but just don't crank it shut :D

Maybe it is the name which makes it sound a bit harsh, are they easy enough to get used to doing up?

I thought bridle would be easy to get, now loads of different options to think about :giggle:

Last edited:
I am not much help to be honest, a bridle is a bridle to me. I use my own browband that I had made as one bridle came with was too small, I don't use nosebands.

What I do like is the black bridles edged in white piping, but that's just a cosmetic preference, I have no idea if that would suit your horse or not.
Like this. http://www.drafttack.com/page40.html

ooh that is nice, he'd look cool in that, but I am getting brown saddle so will get bridle to match, I did see some bridles and you could get stitching in loads of different colours I had to leave site before I went crazy :giggle:

That wow headpiece looks nice and comfy. I don't need new bridle too urgently so will look around and also have good look at current one and see if anywhere it could be more comfy for him

I never had an issue doing them up Tbh it really was used just to break up the face more than to actually do anything :)
They just sort of double back on themselves I always managed from one side.I like the fact they are padded all the way around as opposed to just over the nose so under the chin was padded aswell.you can also get Brown bridges with white piping if you like that look :D I think it's very smart :)

newrider.com