choosing jodhpurs and half chaps

Urban Rider

Apr 2, 2008
Hi. I've just started riding lessons, and will be in a Western saddle for 3 more lessons until I switch to English. I'm wearing jeans and paddock boots right now, but will need jodhpurs and half chaps when I switch. What I'm wondering is how to choose a pair of jodhpurs. Can I fit a bootcut pair under half chaps, or do I need to have a pair that fit tight at the ankle? If I get a bootcut pair, I could wear them right now in a Western saddle, but I would feel too silly in a tight pair. What's normal?

The bootcut trousers option is good if you want to save money and if you do buy them don't forget to try your half chaps on over them so its not a tight squeeze!

However, you can get some very cheap jodhpurs nowadays and I think they would be less bulky under your half chaps. :)

I have a bootcut pair of jodhpurs and a normal pair. My half chaps don't fit over the bootcut pair, but they have elastic which goes under the boot so I don't need to wear half chaps with them. If you get a bootcut pair like this, they won't ride up so you wouldn't need half chaps.

I used to wear my bootcut jodhs no probs in lessons, now I prefer to wear them only out hacking cause there is that little bit of extra material which I feel gets in the way of putting your leg on the horse. Now for schooling and lessons I wear my tight jodhs and half chaps. Helps keep my legs clean too :)

At the end of the day though it is just personal preference and what you feel comfortable in riding and wearing.

Berry said:
My half chaps don't fit over the bootcut pair, but they have elastic which goes under the boot so I don't need to wear half chaps with them. If you get a bootcut pair like this, they won't ride up so you wouldn't need half chaps.

But half chaps are for protection of the lower leg, not so your jods dont ride up? :confused:

Half chaps do protect your lower leg as well, but the bootcut jodhs I have are quite thick material so I don't find I need them for that either.

newrider.com