Chores or Ride first

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Which way do you do things and why, just being nosey thread.

I use riding loosely because I am struggling to motivate myself to actually get on. But I am not about to beat myself up about it, I have only had her back three weeks and have ridden twice.

Today I plan on lunging, I usually start with doing the water. She's then waiting next to me so I would move on to her, then the chores because by then she's strolled off to dose or nibble.

Yesterday I got totally absorbed in making her a shelter from the sun. I need a nice chair so I can just sit and eat my lunch. :)

@Jessey are you still in your tent or back home?

I don't have any particular order and it depends on the time of year, tbh. I'll usually muck out around her being out so if she needs to come in its chores first and if she's going out it's chores second.

I normally muck out first then ride unless I need to go out early (I don't do early!). I like to relax when I have ridden :)

Always chores first. I've tried doing it the other way around, even on a yard and it didn't work. Plus I think that doing the chores - moving bending and stretching sort of warms us up for actual riding. Not that I do much of that now! I must admit though, sometimes in the past when I still had Storm to ride, I would lose the will to ride after all the mucking out - and depending on what needed doing, I could be too tired in the end. I think there's maybe a half way house somewhere, like jessey does - do the essentials and then extra ones after energy permitting!

It varies with me. I dont really have many chores currently but last week when they were grazing the edge of the field i would move the fence when i went to get them otherwise it would been id have to walk back down the steep field for a second time. No thankyou. Walking it once is bad enough. Fortunately ive moved them back to the paddock near the house so the walk is less. So no chores now.

Reactions: Huggy
Right well I think the cob read this thread and decided it was essential chores first!
I arrived to see she had knocked down two sections of her buddies fencing. I come along and knock it down even more and she "escapes" in walk into the no man's land patch. Anyway she didn't plough through to get to the buddy and he didn't with her. She had a little trot and walked back out.
I swear if horses could smile she would. Anyway new phase in her language, get out!

I left the poo picking and took her out inhand, decided that would be good for the hooves as trimmed Saturday.

It used to be either, depending on when I was riding. If I was riding before work, it was a case of riding and then mucking out that evening. I generally preferred chores first, then riding if I had the option.

These days, my chores just extend to filling a haynet, making up a feed and sweeping up after myself so it makes no difference.

I ride first. I don't care if I'm too tired for chores, they still get done, but I hate being knackered before I ride.

Reactions: PePo
I ride first. I don't care if I'm too tired for chores, they still get done, but I hate being knackered before I ride.
I never did my own chores, but I helped on the yard and groomed after hacking and not before. I like my wits about me when hacking.Though I guess age is a factor.

Always essential chores then ride, then optional chores after just in case I run out of time or energy :D I'm back home for now, had the first night in the hay shed over the weekend though ;)
View attachment 103031
Hank was obviously helping lots, even tried to help with washing up (he quite liked my veggie chilli!)
View attachment 103030
I love this set up. I might pick your brains on another thread.

Reactions: Jessey
I do half first, half after.

Please someone tell me that chores is exercise, not exactly pilates, but it's some form of weightlifting yes! :)

Depends on the chores. Some people class brushing a horse a chore. Its certainly a work out for the arms especially when moulting. So maybe pilates.

Like fencing. Weightlifting if banging in wooden posts. Poly posts and wire are exercise.

I think of it as fresh air and mental wellbeing.

Tell a lie, said I always did chores first. Well the other morning I knew it was going to be boiling and so I rode at 6am, doing the poo picking after, as wanted to beat the heat. So in that case some before, some after.

newrider.com