Christ Lammfelle Vs HAF with sheepskin underside?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Anyone tried both?

I had a sudden thought last night that Shay has only started moving when being mounted since I got my HAF sympanova pad, so I am starting the hunt for a new saddle pad, and as Shay loves sheepskin that's where I will start.

My first thought was a Skito but they are out of the 100% wool bottoms. the HAF fits well so the sheepskin bottom one might be ok for him, and then theres the lovely Christ Lammfelle pads (the full sheepskin ones are expensive but I will pay it as long as he is happy).

I haven't seen the HAF pad with sheepskin but have got a Christ one and a few other brands of similar. I truly think that the Christ numnah is head and shoulders above the others. It never flattens with use, it always washes up like new and dries quite quick.

I have 3 christ numnahs and love them, i also have a christ bareback pad, they are all lush:)

I borrowed the haf with the wool when i had the freeform to try off friend for three months (waiting for mine to come:))
I've now got the haf with sympanova but if i spot a wool one i would change. i think it's less harsh on the coat and more breathable.
Had jumping lesson yesterday and he wasn't sweaty but i wonder if he'd prefer natural against himself.

Though you know me i expect i'd still keep other as spare or to lend out.

I hate hate hate my haf pad with the sympanova. It gave Arnie terrible rubs. I do love my Christ pad though:D. My very favourite ever though is the Mattes treeless pad:D

Well Shay is completely spoilt and I have just bought him a fully lined Christ Lammfelle pad and nose band cover, just got to get him one of the girths now (the girth I have will be too long I think) and he has nothing to complain about!

My saddle pad and noseband cover arrived and they are lovely, the sheepskin is really nice and soft, I can't decide whether the Mattes Platinum or the Christ is nicer!
Just waiting for my girth to arrive and we are in business again (I hope he likes it now!)

I'm at the re shimming stage waiting for delivery:) Saddle needs little help at the front end.

Girth came and I tried it all with my saddle, does anyone else find that Christ Lammfelle sheepskin is slippy?
My saddle moved a bit when I got on, which it doesn't normally do, both the pad and the girth feel more silky than my other, older, Christ Lammfelle girth, so I wonder if it becomes less silky and slippy with use?

I know this is an old thread but am reviving it as thinking about moving on from my haf with sympanova as is rubbing summer coat quite badly - is causing little tangled knots all over when Ive got off! Is also very sweaty now the weathers improved

I tried a Christ pad but it slipped really badly so never got beyond one day!

Anyone got any ideas for use with my libra tec or hackamore? Need some spinal clearnace from the pad as am a 'heavier' rider :rolleyes: Fopund as her coat was changing the hackamote began to rub bald patches at the back so havent been using it recently because of this but my trec is knackered to be honest! Would like to get the right pad so can get back to the hackabout

omg how random by friend emailed me saying shes on the hunt for a Christ Lammfelle treeless pad now because her HAF sympanova caused huge lumps on her horses back!

anyone know of the cheapest place to buy one?!

i used a sheepskin HAF pad

I would second Skippy's Mum on Mattes pad and pressure relief system - they are very expensive but I had real slipping problems with the Haf and also rubbing problems. The Mattes pad by itself resolved the rubbing problems, but I had to have loads of shims in and it slipped a bit, but with the pressure relief system as well, we get the clearance I wanted and no slipping and no rubbing. Friend hugely relieved as every ride previously resulted in me fussing and stopping, redoing saddle etc! Now just have go get new leathers as one has stretched more than the other, resulting in me now fussing and stopping ...!

Under my Libra Trecs i used the Torsion Equitex.

Not had rubbing or sweating issues under the Haf, he sweats under his girth currently, little chap not parted with his winter woolies yet, even though tried to remove it.

NF - What is it about the equitex that makes you like it? Do you feel it does distribute weight evenly? Is that be use of the foam? What sort of material is the underside? It says the top is microfibre but surely it cant be underneath as that would be really slippery?

Am getting a little confused about the mattes pad - so it somes as a normal pad - that looks suspiciously like a stitched numnah from the photo, but has pockets that attach and can be filled with foam inserts - and thats the pressure distribution system? This seems a common format - what makes this so special to justify the price?

The Equitex to me and my pony meant the saddle stayed in place and it was breathable. You cannot shim it though, just depends on what you want. I was given my pad for doing a saddle test and i kept it as it suited us.

One of those things when you buy something and compare it with cheaper you can normally see why the price is as it is. I currently have a cheaper version of t bar leathers, it notices! As i keep comparing to my nice leather ones that were double the cost.

At this time now pony has gained some weight and muscled up, i will be trying the Dream Team Pad that i have, as this is thinner than my haf so will give me a little more close contact and if i find the sympanova is sweaty i can change.

The Mattes pad is separate to the pressure relief system. The pad has four pockets which you can shim individually and they take up to six special shims in each pocket. The pressure relief system velcroes onto the top of the pad and is basically several flexible pieces of plastic in reducing sizes. You could use just the pad, but they suggest if you are a heavier rider, that the pressure relief system be used as well.

newrider.com