Christmas, or not

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Please tell me there's other people out there that haven't actually done anything about Christmas yet? It can't be just me surely. Is there anyone who doesn't celebrate it at all? I would love to completely ignore it, especially now the kids have all left home and we have no grandchildren, but I still feel obliged to return the favour of Christmas cards and buy presents for people who probably have everything they want anyway. I was thinking of getting those 'plant a tree' vouchers for the adults we have to buy for, although that's probably more of a present for me than them.

Who loves buying presents? Anyone buy presents for their horses and/or other pets? I'm even bah humbug about that - the dogs get leftover Christmas dinner which I think is the best present they could wish for, and the horses can have an extra carrot if they're lucky lol.

I haven't done anything yet either.

It is my OH and I no children etc. Not going to my parents at all as they have my niece staying with her cat so we can't go with the dogs and we will not leave them.

I love buying presents and know what I am getting but just not got round to it yet.

Doggies will get presents ponies just some carrots.

Well I really don’t care much for Christmas any more, my girls are grown up and we have no grandchildren.
We stopped buying family gifts years ago and only bought for the children but as they are all grown up now we don’t do that either.
I do get a little gift for my girls, but we agree a small budget and stick to it.
Parents, my Dad gets a bottle of whiskey as there is never anything he wants or needs, OHs Mum gets some nice ready made meals and a small gift. We have no other parents now.
Me and Mr KR don’t buy gifts for each other now, we pool the cash and have a nice holiday instead.
I have a couple of yard friends I get something small for and that’s it really.
Neither the cats or Belle get a present, they have no idea it’s Christmas so why bother.
For me personally I don’t see much point in it any more, it’s just an excuse for people to over indulge and spend money they don’t always have on pointless things most of the recipients neither want or need.
I have sent a gift to one of our local charities who donate to children from poorer families who might otherwise have nothing Christmas morning and I also put something in the local food bank so I’m not totally bah humbug.

I don't really do anything, no decs even as it's just me at home, I like Christmas but cannot do the mad shopping so I tend to order a few bits online, I buy for my niece and nephew and my friends that are cooking me Christmas dinner :D Christmas always feels like a bit of anti-climax to me.

I love buying gifts for people. Just little things mind nothing extravagant but hopefully something they will like and is of use. I'm not mad about all the huge organisation, pressure, set timings and stress. I'd rather just have a relaxed day with a meal at some point.

This year I'm pet sitting, my landlady will probably just have come out of hospital or I'll be visiting her there (she's having her knee replaced) and then I'll be spending it with my close family and 2 grandparents who have dementia. My parents get so stressed about it all, heavens forbid if I'm 5 minutes late or my grandparents don't want to open their gifts. You have to festively conform!

I don't know about you all but Christmas is just watching my family argue about absolutely anything they can.. I always enjoy sneaking off to do Ale again in the evening!

I do buy little gifts for the animals and wrap them, my favourite bit of the day is when I'm back home late evening and give them all their presents. Then just sit, relax and enjoy a box of chocolates knowing boxing day morning can be spent however I like. Last few years I've done this alone, my boyfriend may or may not be around this year. Or perhaps my land lady depending how she is doing!

I don't do Christmas. It's taken a few years for others to actually realise that. I am not bah humbug, I just can't be bothered.

One reason I don't bother is because people feel obliged. That's not what it's meant to be about. To me you celebrate something and enjoy something because you want to, not because you feel you have to.

As an adult I make my own choices and the 'have to' were ditched.
I have no stress, no worries, no shopping, it's bliss. :D

' coughs' The cob does know it's Christmas. Ok she knows something is different. Having guests staying they reappear at Christmas. The local horses suddenly plonk things in the garden and I think she fancies the reindeer- the one that hasn't moved at all.

The thing with families is you are in effect putting similar DNA in a big mixing bowl. Parts of the cake will not mix well with others and if it rises it probably won't taste very nice!!
Why do you think we pick and choose our friends.
Some people are shocked I won't see my relatives 'over Christmas' they won't be better behaved just because it's festive. :p

Please tell me there's other people out there that haven't actually done anything about Christmas yet? It can't be just me surely. Is there anyone who doesn't celebrate it at all? I would love to completely ignore it, especially now the kids have all left home and we have no grandchildren, but I still feel obliged to return the favour of Christmas cards and buy presents for people who probably have everything they want anyway. I was thinking of getting those 'plant a tree' vouchers for the adults we have to buy for, although that's probably more of a present for me than them.

Who loves buying presents? Anyone buy presents for their horses and/or other pets? I'm even bah humbug about that - the dogs get leftover Christmas dinner which I think is the best present they could wish for, and the horses can have an extra carrot if they're lucky lol.

I love the season for the lights, the good food and drink - but, what I don't like is the pressure to spend a fortune on things that people either don't want or appreciate. I buy very few presents, they are only for close family and friends - and they are just token gestures, nothing fancy. I love the lights of Christmas because it's the darkest time of year and we need all the jolly we can get, my kitchen atm is full of coloured t lights and I love plugging the tree lights in too. I've had some pretty rubbish Christmases in the past, but since moving here I'm pleased to say they have been wonderful and it's always nice to get all my old friends out (my decorations lol) and admire them. But as we don't have a tv (thankfully) we are spared a lot of the hype. But I do get sick of the promotional emails sent to me, honestly, how many "sales" can there be prior to Christmas?!!!! And just because it's Christmas why do I need several new outfits?!!! lol lol
I am slack though and haven't posted my gifts yet - I just hope they get there on time. I've been head burying on that score!

I don't do Christmas. It's taken a few years for others to actually realise that. I am not bah humbug, I just can't be bothered.

One reason I don't bother is because people feel obliged. That's not what it's meant to be about. To me you celebrate something and enjoy something because you want to, not because you feel you have to.

As an adult I make my own choices and the 'have to' were ditched.
I have no stress, no worries, no shopping, it's bliss. :D

' coughs' The cob does know it's Christmas. Ok she knows something is different. Having guests staying they reappear at Christmas. The local horses suddenly plonk things in the garden and I think she fancies the reindeer- the one that hasn't moved at all.

The thing with families is you are in effect putting similar DNA in a big mixing bowl. Parts of the cake will not mix well with others and if it rises it probably won't taste very nice!!
Why do you think we pick and choose our friends.
Some people are shocked I won't see my relatives 'over Christmas' they won't be better behaved just because it's festive. :p

Lol lol that's so true about relatives! Lol. I get asked numerous times "are you having your folks up for Christmas"...... nope. Taken me twenty odd years to get away from them, not going to spoil a good thing :eek: :D :D :D :p

I like Christmas but on my own terms! OH and I exchange token presents and I enjoy having time off work (OH is retired) and some extra time with Harvey

Yes the time off work is another good aspect for Mr T and me. Being self employed we rarely get a full wee off, but Christmas means it's more or less enforced. Lovely - a week doing nowt but horses.:D

I love buying gifts for people. Just little things mind nothing extravagant but hopefully something they will like and is of use. I'm not mad about all the huge organisation, pressure, set timings and stress. I'd rather just have a relaxed day with a meal at some point.

This year I'm pet sitting, my landlady will probably just have come out of hospital or I'll be visiting her there (she's having her knee replaced) and then I'll be spending it with my close family and 2 grandparents who have dementia. My parents get so stressed about it all, heavens forbid if I'm 5 minutes late or my grandparents don't want to open their gifts. You have to festively conform!

I don't know about you all but Christmas is just watching my family argue about absolutely anything they can.. I always enjoy sneaking off to do Ale again in the evening!

I do buy little gifts for the animals and wrap them, my favourite bit of the day is when I'm back home late evening and give them all their presents. Then just sit, relax and enjoy a box of chocolates knowing boxing day morning can be spent however I like. Last few years I've done this alone, my boyfriend may or may not be around this year. Or perhaps my land lady depending how she is doing!

That's stressful seeing family arguing. I don't miss that! As a kid it was not good at all at our house. It did get better but only when I left home lol
That's sweet you buying your animals presents. I bought the odd thing for our horses on and off over the years, but now we just give them some extra veggies like swede and carrots. The kitties will be getting cat treats of course though this year!

Well I really don’t care much for Christmas any more, my girls are grown up and we have no grandchildren.
We stopped buying family gifts years ago and only bought for the children but as they are all grown up now we don’t do that either.
I do get a little gift for my girls, but we agree a small budget and stick to it.
Parents, my Dad gets a bottle of whiskey as there is never anything he wants or needs, OHs Mum gets some nice ready made meals and a small gift. We have no other parents now.
Me and Mr KR don’t buy gifts for each other now, we pool the cash and have a nice holiday instead.
I have a couple of yard friends I get something small for and that’s it really.
Neither the cats or Belle get a present, they have no idea it’s Christmas so why bother.
For me personally I don’t see much point in it any more, it’s just an excuse for people to over indulge and spend money they don’t always have on pointless things most of the recipients neither want or need.
I have sent a gift to one of our local charities who donate to children from poorer families who might otherwise have nothing Christmas morning and I also put something in the local food bank so I’m not totally bah humbug.

That's a really nice thing to do giving to the food bank.

I'm not in the least religious either but there's still something about the church at Christmas and the whole Christmas story. Hmm. I remember as a teenager we were always made to go to church on the way home on the last day before the holiday break. It was very atmospheric. Sorry, wandering off at a tangent there.....

I used to love Christmas but my husband is quite bah humbug and I've stopped trying really. Trouble is I love buying him presents! But we are trying hard to be greener, which means not buying a pile of crap, so I have knitted him a waistcoat this year and bought just a few little odds & ends for him to unwrap.

ETA have done bugger all except buy our Christmas meal (local lamb, yummm)

Nope not done a thing. We don't really celebrate it as we don't have any family left to celebrate with.
I shall be working Xmas Eve and New year's eve. Only having Xmas day, boxing day and new year's Day off. In fact I'm working now part of new year's Day as I've been asked.
I'm actually worrying about fitting in the work from 3 days off. I'm so flat out at the moment I don't have spaces to juggle clients like I use to. My head is starting to spin worrying about letting people down.
I've also still got all the animals to tend to. Weather better be good as I want an Xmas day ride.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Sorry..... to buck the trend but I LOVE Christmas!

My tree has been up for nearly 3 weeks because a lot of my decorations were stitch-together kits that I've made and I get SO much enjoyment from having it illuminating the corner of my sitting room.

20191124_161856-600x1067.jpg

20191124_161918-600x1067.jpg

20191124_161924-600x1067.jpg

Plus I have my tree in my bedroom

Screenshot_20191211-170932_Photos-800x450.jpg

As per my food post, I haven't had to buy any goodies this year.... Dom just likes chocolate and nuts in their shells, so I've got a few bits for him and made my own keto stuff. My two eldest children are getting married next year so we've all decided to save our money for those occasions rather than buying gifts this year. I'll just send my granddaughter some money. Dom and I haven't bought each other gifts for years so that's not an issue. But none of that taints the festive season for me. I'm still a child at heart.

So I don't really have anyone else to buy for, thank goodness. The yard girls will get a bottle of fizz each and "Gracie" will buy a tub of Celebrations for everyone at the yard to help themselves to.

newrider.com