Citronella Recipes?

Hoof-Prints

May 10, 2008
Where my pony is at, there is huge amount of flies and she gets COVERED!
she wears a fly mask and fly spray (get through alot of it)

so anyway i was reccomended trying citronella oil with her, i've got some and wondered if anyone could reccomend a good recipe for me?

thanks

x

I've used just citronella oil with water before, worked pretty well. Having some difficulty getting hold of any this year though (not that I've put a huge amount of effort in after the local tack shop owner gave me a load free because it was going out of date!)

I actually find Citronella to be one of the worst things to use, I used it for the first time last week and OMG you should have seen the amount of flies it attracted! I will not use it now, seconds before they had nothing on them.

I use this receipe, seems to work well,
15ml citronella
2tbsp methylated spirit
1tbsp washing up liquid
4tbsp vinegar
1/2 pint strong tea
mix together and make up to 2 litres with tap water. :)

The use of citronella in fly sprays was banned by the EU last year - although I can't remember why and it could well be something completely daft. You can get it in shampoos though. Naf do one - although I don't know how good it is.

Personally I use garlic supplement and a non DEET fly spray. I know someone on our yard who uses garlic water as a spray but I don't know how effective that is.

trust me, citronella works.i mix it with vinegar and water.i had to have the vet out to my horse as he was suffering so bad with the flies.the vet said citronella was good so i gave it a go.you can get order it off viovet on the net.my boy wears a fly mask and fly rug as he really needs all the protection he can get.the citronella really does keep the flies at bay.i also use on myself to keep the flies at bay

trust me, citronella works.i mix it with vinegar and water.i had to have the vet out to my horse as he was suffering so bad with the flies.the vet said citronella was good so i gave it a go.you can get order it off viovet on the net.my boy wears a fly mask and fly rug as he really needs all the protection he can get.the citronella really does keep the flies at bay.i also use on myself to keep the flies at bay

Why isn't it working for mine!:confused::eek: It seems to be attracting the flies.

Sainsburys also sell citronella, although only in 10ml bottles but that can make 5 ltrs of fly repellant. Although don't tell them it's for animal use, i did this and the lady told me not to say that or she couldn't sell it to me, luckily she did on that occasion!

I mixed 30 ml of citronella
6 tblspoons of white wine vinegar
5ltrs of tea soaked for ages

Would prob crush loads of garlic in next time too, seems to work tho!

newrider.com