Cleaning tack

Dreamchaser

Total falls: 13
May 3, 2003
Ontario, Canada
photobucket.com
I was thinking about how everyone must have their own way to do it and I think it would be interesting to compair. So tell us, how do you clean your tack and what do use to do it? Any time saving secrets?

I enjoy tack cleaning so tend to take my time over it anyway.

Wiping it down every time you ride will help.

As far as cleaning is concerned I take it to bits, wipe it down with a dampened sponge to get all the sweat marks and dirt off and then I rub in Hamanol. I then (if I can be bothered, it's the one bit that I don't like) use a match stick to get any gunk out of the buckle holes. I've got a blunt knife that is great for getting the 'jockeys' off the leather but that's about it.

While I'm cleaning the leather I dunk the bit and stirrups in warm water with a bit of Ecover washing up liquid (rinse well afterwards obviously).

Very occasionally (if the leather feels dry or otherwise once every blue moon) I will oil it but I probably only do that once a year.

I have 20 plus bridles to clean and then 5 or 4 working sets of harness, the Zilco goes in the washing machine (minus the bit!!!) the rest is working Leather and needs to be cleaned properly, checked for wear each time and oiled ocasionally, depending on how wet it has got.

I used to clean stuff the BHS way, now....Warm bucket of water, sponge, dunk bridle in warm water, swish around and clean with sponge. Hang up let dry. Do the same with other 25 bridles, then start to soap the first one which should, by now, be dry!

Saddles get a similar treatment, but not dunked and swished! Harness gets same treatment as bridles, but taken apart so it fits into the bucket!

For shows it gets taken apart and the brass polished.

Wally, I'm very pleased to see I'm not the only one who dunks their stuff in a bucket of water. :D Everyone I know is horrified, but my bridle ALWAYS came up nicer, cleaner and suppler than their's (which was usally very greasy as they saddle soaped over the grease :rolleyes: )

My cleaning regseime (sp?)

Take to pieces. Dunk first half in to slightly soapy (washing up liquid :eek: ) warm water then put on to a towel.

Start cleaning all the grease off with very slightly saddle-soapy, very slighly damp sponge (rinsed regularly cos it gets filthy). Use pins of buckle to poke out any dirt in the holes. Allow to dry

Do same with second half.

Give a rub with saddle soap (almost dry)

Final paint with leather oil (depends which type I have). Repeat if nessasary.

I don't bother taking it to pieces, and just put a damp-ish sponge over it, then saddle soap, then more damp-ish sponge. I leave the bit to last, it's no fun scrubbing away at grass mulch.

When I clean tack I use a damp sponge with some saddle soap and I made sure their is plenty of soap on tehir and not to much water. Then I rinse off the sponge and wipe the bit with just water. If it's really dirty and hasn't been cleaned in ever, I used a toothbrush is get into the icky crevices.

I get the hose, turn it on and use a sponge thing that you attach the hose to and wash my saddle like that. I don't fully pull my bridle to bits more than once aweek, but the bit and white padding gets done after every ride.

I only clean my leather dressage saddle - i find my synthetics don't need it.

with my leather, i take the stirrups and girth off and give it a good scrub with some saddle soap, let it dry a little, buff it off then i get some oil (my trainer brought it for me for my birthday, its quite expensive but its great for leather, as it doesn't clog it up and it really softens it) and a paintbrush and i slosh it on everywhere. I leave it to air indoors overnight without its cover on, then i put the cleaned girth, stirrups back on - but i don't ride in it for a good day so the oil has time to sink in properly.
Bridle is basically the same, except i rarely oil it and generally just clean it.

I'm quite slack with my tack cleaning :eek: any mud or water is wiped off after every ride, but i don't give it a proper clean more than once or twice a month (for PC and competitions).

Mine gets dismantled about once a month - i wash the leathers with a soapy warm cloth to get the grease and jockeys off, dry, then oil. Oiling may be either just a wipe over or the leathers soaked in a tub of neatsfoot, dried then polished - just depends on how dry it is. Oh, and I scrub the bit with a tooth brush and tooth paste :)

The saddle gets a light soapy cloth then oiled (not dunked obv!)

Otherwise it all gets wiped down after each use..

When I had my tack at home after each time I rode I used to rinse the bit off, wipe the bridle over with washing up liquid (it gets the grease off) then on the dry leather wipe it over with an only slightly damp cloth (so that it didn't lather or wet the leather) with saddle-soap (the nourishing kind). It was a trick I was taught by my neighbour and takes about 5 minutes and keeps tack in really good condition, then you just give it all a good oil every 6 months or so.

Now my tack is scattered between home, stable and car though I tend to leave it until every 3 weeks or so then take it all apart, give it a good thorough clean with plain water or washing up liquid then rub on saddle soap and oil it if it needs it. The only things I am very particular about though are rinsing the bit off after each ride so that you're not putting a horrible dried-slobbery bit in next time, and keeping my girth clean so that there's nothing that could rub my horse when I ride.

Sometimes I give my bit's a scrub with an old toothbrush and toothpaste as well to get them super clean and the horses like the minty taste :D

i take all the tack apart, wipe it with a damp sponge, then wash all over with saddle soap. I usually cant be bothered to poke the grease out of the holes! in the summer i give it a spray with all weather protector, and in the winter i paint it with oil. :)

nu,mnahs get washed when they are quite dirty, i dont wash them after every ride. I use girth sleeves ourely because they are easier to wash than the girth, and you can just put another one on if the other one's still wet.

When I first got my horses, I cleaned the tack "correctly" once a week, and washed the bits off after every use.
Now I copy my friend's technique, which is to use leather wipes over the still-assembled tack after every ride and wash off the bits. This takes about two minutes at the most, and keeps the tack in good enough condition that it doesn't need a full clean for at least 3-4 months (yay!) or for special occasions.
For the full cleans, I strip the tack and wipe it over with a damp sponge, then rub in saddle soap all over. On these cleans, I also use a little oil on a toothbrush around the reins where they attach to the bit, on the girth straps and on the stirrup leathers (all very sparingly - not enough to make the leather "soggy").
Lord Sheraton or Kiwi wipes are great - the tack feels supple, smells nice and gets a lovely rich gleam. Plus I can buy them from the supermarkets along with my food shop, so they come out of the household budget and not out of my horsey money :D
I'm considering trying tack cleaner and conditioner sprays for the full cleans now, as saddle soap takes quite a while and never seems to get a nice finish (even with plenty of elbow grease ;) )
If anyone has a recommendation on what brand to try (or not to try...), please let me know!

I clean my bit each time it is used, and clean my tack once a week - taking it apart and giving it a good check over and thorough clean.

I prefer to use the orange bar soap and a 'little tip' -I keep a used match for going in the keeper holes to get rid of any excess soap and grime.

Happy cleaning

From Tracy
http://www.easyhorsecare.com

I always rinse off the bit after a ride, and give my saddle a wipe down if it got wet or muddy on a ride. I clean my bridle throughly probably once every two months - rinse with warm water followed by saddle soap - and my saddles every couple of months. I must admit I do enjoy cleaning my tack - I take care to make sure my tack looks smart and doesn't rot apart!

newrider.com