Clicker training books

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
I am wanting to start doing clicker training with R, can anyone recommend any books or material please?

Thanks

Started a month ago. Ordered online from Alexandra Kurland Books. Dont buy the starter pack if you are buying the books. I did and it was just a small very thin book.

I bought The Click That Teaches - A Step By Stip Guide in pictures
and " " " " - Riding with the Clicker.

Both excellent. Took a week to arrive and was less then £50 I think (Converted)

I also recently bought "The Click that Teaches" and think it's really good. It's nice and clear and the photos help a lot. I got it from these people www.traininglines.co.uk/#405X0 and was very pleased when it arrived within a couple of days. I got a clicker starter kit from Pets at Home - clicker, treat bag and target stick thingy for about £9. The wee bag is very handy but I haven't used the stick at all, I've been using one of those horse play balls as the target and my horse has taken to licking it instead of just touching it with his nose. I'm sure he only does this as he was trying to get away with just looking at the ball, then realised that didn't work - I think the lick is to make sure I've noticed him touching it! (he thinks he's training me:D).

kturner: Does the riding with the clicker book have lots of photos too?

Started a month ago. Ordered online from Alexandra Kurland Books. Dont buy the starter pack if you are buying the books. I did and it was just a small very thin book.

I bought The Click That Teaches - A Step By Stip Guide in pictures
and " " " " - Riding with the Clicker.

Both excellent. Took a week to arrive and was less then £50 I think (Converted)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What she said :)

Don't shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor is a good book to read about clicker training, it may be made for dogs but the theory is all the same and it has a good history of clicker training.

I bought Heather Simpson's Positive Horse Magic for £50 which has all the information you need and progressive exercises on cards you can take out and keep with you to follow through. I found it very informative and easy to follow and always recommend it! http://www.naturalanimalcentre.com/phm/intro.html

Agree with all the above - and if you buy the Alex Kurland books direct from her website, I think she invites you to join an excellent email discussion group :) (you can order from www.theclickercenter.com). Her DVDs are superb too - I've just seen the new video/DVD - Overcoming fear and the power of cues - she basically rehabilitates a horse that's scared of the saddle, but would be equally helpful for anyone with a horse that has some deep rooted fear or anxiety.

You can also join the Yahoo clicker group which is interesting and searchable, so you can find answers to pretty much every training situation you're likely to come across.

There are also books dedicated to trick training if that's what you're interested in, "You can train you horse to do anything" I think is one.

There are some other newer books which I've got on order to have a look at - one is called Getting to Yes and there is also a colt-starting book by Leslie Pavlich if you have a baby or young horse to train.

The Heather Simpson book (it's actually a folder) was the first one I used and was helpful at the very beginning.

And I can't recommend Karen Pryor's book enough - it explains the science behind all training methods, but in a really easy to read fashion - you'll end up clicker training your kids too once you've read it ;)

Frosty - Yes the riding one is exactly the same. Very good. (Alex Kurland)

My little guy had stopped mugging now, and we have a great time. We use a large exercise ball, waiting for it to pop, a cone, plastic bottle, have used my purse and camera when I didnt have anything else on hand.

Yesterday I was circlig him Parelli style and calling him in for a click and treat for staying in walk and not acting like a ADHD teenager as usual.

He doesnt mug at all anymore. It is great stuff. havent ridden him with it yet because he is very extreme to ride and I once had a bad experience opening the polos on his back in the stable. Wont do that again for a while.

There are some beginners videos on my photobucket. Early days yet.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk223/cammacbusby/?special_track=nav_tab_my_albums

newrider.com