Clicker training

4everSaddleSeat

Loves to trot
Oct 31, 2001
Raytown, Missouri
Visit site
Does anyone here know about clicker training? Does it really work? Does it work on dogs too? I want to teach the horse that I am going to lease not to bite or kick or paw. Also, if it works on dogs I want to help mine because she was abused by her previous owners. I have had her for about 3 years and she still is frightened of some things. So does it really work? Thanks!

N.R.

Hi,

i havent ever tried it myself, but-

i heard of a high level jumper, who was afraid of water, and in training, the rider would carry the clicker-ma-bob and when ever they went over a water jump, she would click it twice, and say "good" at the same time, so when she was in the show ring she would just say "good" she just substituted the two.

abd when leaving the ring, she would give him a little treat.

maybe if the horse you lease is about to kick or bit if you do the ya know"ahh" sound (lol) and if he stops, click it right away, and say good, and every once and a while give him a treat (not all the time, or else hell get nippy)

eventually you will be able to just say good maybe, well, i hope that works.

bubye!

It does work and I love it!

I've been using clicker training on my dogs for the past four years. In fact, it's been used for dogs much longer than for horses, so most of the information is geared towards dog training. I'm going to refer you to my favorite websites on the topic, because I don't have time right now to really write about it, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have later.

www.clickandtreat.com

www.karenpryor.com

www.shirleychong.com

www.clickertrain.com

Hope this helps!

No, you don't have to use a clicker. Some people use ballpoint pens or a bottle cap (the kind with a pop-up button in the center). Or if you're working on a behavior that doesn't require precision, you can use a word like "good" or "yes". The advantage of a clicker though is that it's a distinct and unique sound. If you use a word, you have to be careful to use it only when you mean it, and are able to produce the treat afterwards.

Last edited:
CLicker training does work. It is based on phsychology or the study of behaviour. It works on a theory called - positive reinforcement. Some famous people who studied this are Pavlov (with dogs) and BF Skinner (with pigeons, rats and hamsters) although not at the same time :D

Try clicker training - although I think for a horse that bites you may want to try target training. (Very similar but gets the horse to touch a target until you remove it for a reward). You should be able to find it on Google website.

http://www.google.com/

if you look up "Target training for horses"

You could also try looking up things like - positive and negative reinforcement. These are also behaviour changing practices. Only read some of the old studies if you have a STRONG stomach - some involve electric shocks to various animals. I think horses are the only one that hasn't seemed to widely documented. But the pricinples will be the same.

If you can't find them - pm me and I will tell you more.

Best of luck

Nicola

Karen Pryor is the goddess of clicker training - I bet her website is a good source of information (Barkless listed it above). She developed the technique during the sixties for use with dolphins, back when lots of people weren't sure how to train an animal you couldn't physically force into doing something. She says it works best with very active, greedy animals - sound like any equines you know?:)

Her book, "On Behavior," is also a wonderful source of info - it should be available on the website.

Good Morning, there... 'peace'
Thank -You so much for your reply.I had only found on internet the Alexandra Kurland sight, oops, I mean site....
reguarding clicker training.It really has nothing on it if you don't purchase the book. (Know what I mean, no free info.... (frown here but I cant get it to stay..not sure how to operate these thingie's)
In Holland, Im not so free to "buy"as I gotta get the currency changed first.(Where as in America, I had no problem.) Its taken me quite a awhile to "adjust":) living in another country as my own. But in a few weeks we get the euro,,,:confused: and Im not exactly sure how to use them,,,(as long as they spend tho,huh?LOL):D
I will most deffinately check out the page,(s) Ive read on the board.I will have more time now until Jan 7th- I start dutch school, for the dutch language.... 38 yr.old going back to school.(Scary again!) take care,, have a merry christmas & happy new year!!
SEEEEEEEYA,,,<Denise> Hey, where are you from in SC? I lived previously in Mooresville North Carolina, then moving to Georgia(Dad worked for Delta Airlines-transfered)Driven thru SC alot !!!

There is a lady at my barn who uses clicker training for both her hores. The one she rides does anything she asks. She clicks when he does what she wants and then she gives him a little slice of carrot. She's mounted and he just comes around and gets it. It's really cute but I've often wondered if it could be a problem when you don't have a carrot. It isn't with her however since her horse is really nice. If he comes around really fast and pushy she just says easy and he calms down. I doubt that would work with mine. He is a treat monger. She also has a 2 yr old TW mare (buckskin, so beautiful) that she's training with clicker just on the ground. No riding of a 2 yr old at our barn, too young. She has done wonders with it. I may try it myself.

Hey, Denise!

I'm originally from Greenville, SC - about an hour south of Asheville. But I came to the coast to go to college about ten years ago, and now I live on my husband's family's farm, about 35 miles west of North Myrtle Beach.

Don't worry about going back to school - here I am at forty-one, halfway through law school! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Just tell me when you need a nice care package of grits and crowder peas - I'll mail 'em along!:D

Sally

Now Sally. You know this southern girl will take some of those grits and crowder peas. Bring em on! Hope you have a good Christmas. Talk to you soon.

to our lady peace:
Thought was cute but if you've never heard of them, nevermind. (Much played on the radio in FT.Wayne, Indiana...where I moved from to live in Europe.) Uh, Im ramblin all ready so early in the morning.
Ahh, Myrtle Beach.Thats where my graduating class of 1981 went after school. Unfortunately,I'd already been moved to Georgia,by the airlines.I heard alot about myrtle beach growing up in NC.
I just spotted you've been on this board since 99.Wow. I was regularly on ICQ,before coming here perminately.

Our weather here is windy, rainy & yuck. Bothering my arthritis(rumatoid) not spelled right there, but you get my drift, .)
Needless to say I dont ride AS much in the winter. (Sometimes I cannot even get up on her..she's 164-165 cm,, I think 16 H ???)
Lunging Kilini as she is GOOD in this department(listening to my instructions) my other horses were NEVER this good at lunging.

She's safe & sound in her stall at the moment,thought Id go check her tho_On Mon. we had ice, and she slips alot as I have her shod. Winter time is tricky here. I don't have an indoor arena to ride in( I could go to a neighbor,trailer her there...but its alot of trouble,loading not the problem-she's great..being the old dressure/sport horse, just hassel to me.)
Besides Im not real keen on the idea of having the horse act up,,,giving me problems after going to all the trouble to ride.The prev.owners told us the horse was sold because she had spiren pain -dutch for (muscle pain) ,,they stopped at L dressage, a vet treated her(injection meds) but the pain came back.So she was sold(they had 50 horses)Then she went thru 5 horse traders until I found her.They advertised she was calm on the ground(which she is to an extreme-my friends daughter going under her belly<no no> to me but the horse never moved.)
She has some problems trotting, as I think its easier for her to gallop.

Im very recreational here,, not really like I "have"to ride but lunging/excersizing her almost daily...is working well,getting me thru the off 'periods' (seasonal) when my body isn't co-operating with me. This stupied disease slows me down in the
winter.

My Mom said she thought it was good I bought this horse.Now the horse can retire from the competion life. Its taken over a year to get her to change to a pleasure horse. In some ways the horse is spoiled, only riding(working (mostly )an hour or two...per day,depending.)

I was reading past scripts from 99 and came across someone talking about going from western riding to english.I can identify, for here the "main"way of riding is english. And I tryed once when I was 15, or 16 years old & MUCH BETTER RIDER THAN NOW,,, And I could not balance.But its much,much more to ride this style, Ive learned!!
So, Ive had huge obsticles here, coming to a foreign : country, language,riding,horse....
Oh, maybe I should of e-mailed here since its so long,,Oh well,,,
To all (readers) a Merry Christmas,,,
grits..? Cheese grits..gravy & biscuits Please. English books too<<All in Dutch here!!>>Difficult to read <<<

until the next time,,,Denise~~

Oh, yes, I remember Our Lady Peace :)

I can't imagine Dutch winters - I know it doesn't compare to arthritis, but I get a whomping case of Seaonal Affective Disorder anytime the sun goes behind a cloud for more than a few hours! Are there any hippotherapy centers near you? I worked at one this past summer, and they really helped my back problem!

I know what it's like to be an expatriate southerner (well, sort of -I lived in the northeast US for 3 yrs and could never convince my mother one didn't need a passport to cross the Mason-Dixon) - so please feel free to e-mail me anytime!

Sally

newrider.com