Clicking Stifles and stiff behind

Lexter

Jun 22, 2005
Scotland
Can anyone help and advise what this means in a horse. Spent half hour in the school with Leckie on Saturday and he was fine. Warmed up did some trotting then cooled down.

He was fine going out.

Went to see him yesterday, and he was really really stiff behind. When I picked up his back leg to clean out his hoof his stifle clicked. When he walks you can hear his stifles clicking really badly. He has been off cortaflex as he is not getting a hard feed at the moment. Should I call the Vet, get some cortaflex start again and keep him on it permanently? Can anyone recommend anything other than cortaflex to help him? I have not ridden him since Saturday and will keep him off for the week. May be I am worrying too much but he was doing so well. Can anyone help?

Golly Lexter seems to mirror Scoobie or vice versa :D , Scoob did his hamstring a couple of weeks ago and now has a really clicky joint, my fabulous bowen man has told me to keep working him as the concussion on his leg will improve joint and the clicking will disappear, so have been walking and trotting for days now and yes it has gradually gone away, have kept up with the arnica and rhus tox in his feed and he advised me to add linseed oil as well as cider vinegar - feel a bit gordon ramsayish putting scoobs feed up:eek: its quite an art!

Kath x

Clicking Joints

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I did not want to trot him for fear of hurting him (prob being over protective). I am going to see him tonight as I am currently at work to see how he is and probably lunge him tomorrow night. As a matter of interest where did you find details of the Bowen man? Must admit the clicks coming from his stifle are pretty awful poor boy. If I could I would wrap him up in cotton wool.

Lisa x

I found the clicks very unsettling, they actually sound like they hurt and I was a bit iffy about trotting him but honestly he's fine:D
My bowen man came recommended and he does dressage (his wifes a judge) so he is giving me flatwork lessons to improve our jumping (if that makes sense) I wouldn't be without him, I ring him before the vet if its joint related

Hope Lexter is feeling better

Kath x

Here's a link to an old thread that I remembered from your description....

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67645&highlight=Glucosamine+Gold

It may help. I have been using Nas'f 5*Superflex on Cherry which ran out a couple of weeks ago. Being an old sceptic I was surprised to find that she was becoming stiff when doing turns and circle work. So I have now put her on Cortaflex and reckon she will have to be on that for the rest of her working life now....

A colleague at our yard has had her horses since they were foals and they have both been on Cortaflex since then as a preventative....

Clicking Stifles

Thanks Domane.

I was probably hoping that he would not need cortaflex any more or just require it every other day. Looks like I was wrong as whilst he was on it, I must admit he never clicked. I just worry that the cortaflex might mask problems with his back and front leg. Looks like I will be going shopping on the way home tonight to get some Cortaflex and some feed for him, poor baby. I will probably try and get some one to come and look at his back anyway jsut to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Lisa x

newrider.com