Clinton Anderson DVDs

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
My OH watches and learns from the short Clinton Anderson videos on You Tube.From what I have watched he is very easy to understand. I am thinking of getting him some of the Clinton Anderson DVDs for christmas and wondered if anyone on NR has used any of his DVDs and how you rated them. This is mainly for working with our two welsh cob yearlings.

So what DVD do you have and how do you rate it out of 10.

Yes we have some:). Personally I like him - he's plain speaking, nonosense and does not pretend to be a hero. We bought our set off his website quite some time back. Quite pricey but a great pressie in my opinion :D.

Luurve Clinton Anderson. I ordered his Fundamentals Pack which arrived last Friday. Spent all weekend watching it and it is fantastic. Idiot proof (which is what I need) and he is not at all oh how wonderful am I - in fact he freely admits that there are probably a lot better horse trainers out there, but that he is a good teacher. And he is. BUT it was expensive. But I hope worth it!!

I started out with some of his stuff from a recommendation on here and quite liked it. He was on channel 280 on sky doing a series on backing a new horse that he then gives away at the end of each series. Don't know if its still showing on Horse and County but worth a look.

Don't have any of his DVDs but I do have some genuine Clinton Anderson Mecate reins (black) with some beautiful dark leather slobber straps to go with them. Brand new never used. I think he is excellent. Wish he would come to England. Or better still, wish I lived next door to him:mstickle:

Oh I am so glad there are other people in England that love clinton too. I have pretty much all of his dvd's but was starting to thing I was the only clintonised person in England.
It's such a shame I'm up north in Yorkshire would love to meet up with like minded people.

Has anyone got one of his saddles. I'm thinking of getting one when I back my youngster. I started DUH with him straight away and 2 years later he's doing fab. So keep it up sjp1 your horse wil love you for it in the end.

Have you all been watching his series on H & C channel. I'm loving his tour stop in vegas. I'm going to see him at Road To The Horse next year. If you have never seem any of these competitions on dvd I highly recommend them.

Sorry I read that as Clive Anderson DVDs and was intrigued to find out what he knew about Natural Horsemanship..

Not a lot apparently

Doh :nerd:

Oh I am so glad there are other people in England that love clinton too. I have pretty much all of his dvd's but was starting to thing I was the only clintonised person in England.
It's such a shame I'm up north in Yorkshire would love to meet up with like minded people.

No there are two of us now!! Have read many negative posts (not necessarily on here) about him, but I just love how black and white he is and how he doesn't dress anything up in soft fuzzy language. Helps me tremendously to know a karate chop on Toby's bum when he is taking the p.... is not going to scar him for life and seeing for myself that it really really doesn't. Perhaps we should have a meet up - if there are any more than just you and I!!!

Although I dont stick to one school of thought, I have enjoyed some of his features on sky tooooo - Im over W Yorks way (Actually Lancs, but on the borders)

Yeah I know what you mean. There are a lot of people who slate him for being too harsh. And everyone has their own opinion which is great. I like loads of the other trainers too. However when I found the DUH method I just loved how easy to follow it is. (As you said it's just black and white.)
I haven't done much of the riding exercises yet but once my guy is backed I will be following his riding with confidece series.

I have the Gaining Respect on the Ground Series and the Riding With Confidence Series which I bought bout 2 years ago. Plus many more of his dvd's and a few or other trainers. What do you think of the fundementals series? I really want to get it but don't know if it's anything new. I don't know if I should just get the intermediate level.

Does your instructor use DUH. I have looked all over but as far as I can tell he doesn't have any students in the UK. Might run off and join his apprentiship program. He is hiring at the minute. Hehe. (I wish! If only I had know about it when I was younger.)

I could chat all day about the different exercises. My boy can do all the groundwork exercises fairly well. But it can get pretty bad before it gets good so if you ever want to go over any ideas or problems with me feel free.

Although I dont stick to one school of thought, I have enjoyed some of his features on sky tooooo - Im over W Yorks way (Actually Lancs, but on the borders)

Hi another Northener. I agree there are so many fantasic horse people out there. And I don't personally think Clinton is the best one but I do find that he is the best at teaching his methods. So that people like me can learn and apply it.

I have bought loads of other dvd's and really enjoyed watching them but not really learnt how to achieve the results. I'm on the Leeds border so not far from you at all!!

Another fan here I like his sense of humour and find it funny when he cracks a joke and the audience just don't get it:giggle: I watch all his programmes but as yet not used his methods as I can't afford the DVDs. That feels better getting my little secret of my chest and find out I'm not alone:bounce:

LOL. Say it loud, say it proud, we love Clinton! :wink:

You know he did a working with Draft horses dvd a while ago. Have you seen it daftdraught?

My OH watches and learns from the short Clinton Anderson videos on You Tube.From what I have watched he is very easy to understand. I am thinking of getting him some of the Clinton Anderson DVDs for christmas and wondered if anyone on NR has used any of his DVDs and how you rated them. This is mainly for working with our two welsh cob yearlings.

So what DVD do you have and how do you rate it out of 10.

Hi Natve Lover. Just noticed your question properley. I have:

Gaining Respect & Control on the ground series 1-3 = 10/10
He breaks everything down tells you what to do when to do it and what to do if things go wrong.

Riding with confidence series 1-3 = 10/10
Starts from the beginning by getting control of your steering wheel, clutch and break.

Problem solving on the ground and under saddle = 7/10
This makes for fantastic viewing. He goes through lots of different horses and the problems they have. At one point he works with a Mare who is unbelieveable. She is bonkers. HOWEVER he states over and over again during the dvd that if you follow the program you will never get that kind of resistance. Ie. he works with a horse with bucking issues. But because it's for the dvd he has to go straight in at the riding level. Whereas he make obvious that if he had the horse himself he wouldn't even be considering getting n it yet.

Handling foals, weanlings & yearlings = 10/10
Found this fantastic when I got my youngster. This is more about what to do and what not to do at the different stages. He starts with round penning and goes right up to just before you would back a horse. However he doesn't go into as much depth on each exercise as he does in GRCotG.

Colt Starting On The Ground & Under Saddle =10/10
He works with an unbroken and fairly unouched mustang. Brillient to watch and takes you though the process step by step. From round penning to the jeffery method to ground work and then to getting on and riding.

Working with Draft Horses = 7/10
Very interesting to watch. Perhaps the only time I have seen Clinton getting pushed about. Hehe. It's from his tv series and is all basic ground work.

I have a few others too but those are the main ones. I bought mine before the fundementals series came out so can't comment on that unfortunately. Really want it but I doubt it really has anything new in it so saving my pennies for a saddle.

Hope that helps you.

Colt

My instructor started with Parelli but Ken Faulkner is her mentor. I don't think he is wishy washy either but I don't think he has the ability to put things over on dvd like Clinton (OH thinks I am in love with him!!)

The fundamentals starts with the round pen (which we don't have) but then after one session in the round pen he does it on a line. Goes through everything step by step through the groundwork (in sequence) and then onto ridden. Am on lungeing with respect 2 dvd now which tomorrow evening (lucky Tobes!) we are about to start. What I like is that the horse he is doing it with is a 'hot' horse but he also does it on a 'cold horse'. I thought Tobes was a 'hot horse' as he was way over reactive about everything, but now I am thinking he is a 'cold blooded horse' - or as Clinton says 'a fat lazy disrespectful horse' who has been allowed to become over reactive. Or maybe he is just inbetween.

I was having a real problem with turn on the forequarters but instructor came yesterday and we have 'semi' cracked it. She says he is just not balanced and needs to come back onto his hindquarters to turn.

Had a practice tonight - Tobes pretending he really couldn't remember what he had done yesterday until we did the hind quarter yield - whack on the bum because he was doing a sloppy hind quarter yield which he can do really well - and suddenly he remembered!! Horses!!!

LOL. Say it loud, say it proud, we love Clinton! :wink:

You know he did a working with Draft horses dvd a while ago. Have you seen it daftdraught?

No I haven't I will have to seek that one out everyone has given up on Flora she has been expelled from more horse boot camps than I have had hot dinners she can challenge the best of the best :bounce: Perhaps I should give it a go.

Last edited:
newrider.com