Clinton Anderson Wahl tour show disappointing

smaggi

Aug 31, 2005
I saw Clinton about 3 years ago and was very impressed with his Wahl tour show. My OH and I went again last weekend. What a disappointment. He had a colt starting session and was working the colt from the ground and got the colt bucking a lot after he put the lead rope under her tail while he was lunging her. He decided not to ride the colt that day. The next day an assistant rode the colt with him on the ground. This was a calm colt.

He did ground work exercises with a spectator's horse and the schedule said he was supposed to ride it the first afternoon. He did not ride the horse until the next morning. This was also a calm, lazy, pushy horse. He only showed the first 2 exercises from his Ground work level 1 video in the entire 2 hours that he worked with the horse.

The schedule said that on day 2 he was supposed to show ground work from his level 2 video. He only did one exercise from it with the horse from yesterday.

The schedule also said that on day 2 he was supposed to show exercises from his Riding With Confidence Level 2 video with the horse. He only did two level one exercises because he did not ride it the day before.

He was supposed to desensitize a horse from spooky objects. All he did there was run up to the horse while it was tied with his Aussie Tie Ring and did a 1 hour sales pitch on the Tie Ring. There were all kinds of things by the round pen like a tarp, plastic bag, ... that were never used.

All he did for 2 days was talk about stories from his past instead of giving out information from his higher level videos. What a let down.

He also did a lot of hitting the horses on the jaw and nose. In his videos he usually hits them on the neck if he is moving the shoulder away, but most of it was in the face at the show. These were all calm lazy horses and I think he could have gotten the same results by using the neck instead of the face.

To all the US forum members..... sorry for Paul Hogan, Steve Irwin, Russel Crowe......and Clinton Anderson :0)

BTW, the Aussue Tie Ring is Ted Blockers invention, Blocker Ranch, Oregon USA, nothing at all Aussie about it. Buy them from ted, they are a lot cheaper. Just another marketing exercise by the Anderson organization. An associate in the US once asked me do I know how they pronounce Clinton Andersons name in the USA?
NO ?,
he replied "Ka- Ching"
:0)
http://www.blockerranch.com/index.php

That is sad...have seen him in the past and liked him.
Could of been he got hurt or something and did not want to let people know.
Hence the flop at that clinic.

LodgeRopes said:
To all the US forum members..... sorry for Paul Hogan, Steve Irwin, Russel Crowe......and Clinton Anderson :0)

Apology accepted, except for Russel Crowe. There's no excuse for that one.:D

ShariN said:
That is sad...have seen him in the past and liked him.

I liked seeing him before too. This time it was too many stories about how he was the best Polocross player in Austrailia ... Blah Blah Blah. How does that help me train my horse? :p

I still like the way his videos are put together. I'll just never go to see him again.

I went to see him last year, and was very impressed. I watched all his videos and am very impressed, I love his book. They have really a lot of good in them for me.

A friend went to see him last week in Ohio. He said he was much, much quicker to raise the pressure on a pushy horse than he ever was before. He seems to be thinking the majority of horse behaviour problems here, is silly women not being assertive enough with their pushy spoilt horses. That may be true, but it's not the only problem by a long shot. Personally, I think he's running a big risk of doing a lot of harm for horses here with this constant emphasis on upping the pressure enough. He needs to spend some time in the gaited show world, and talking to my neighbour Cowboy Bob in the cutting horse world so he can regain a bit of perspective. Lots of people are far too soft on their horses, but, at least here in TN, far, far more of them still teach softness and respect with a 2x4, mercury poisoned hooves, broken bones and peeled ginger.

It's really important to see the great teachers, at the time that they are great. In 1975, we should have gone to see Ray Hunt. In 1990, we should have gone to see John Lyons perhaps. In 2005, Clinton Anderson might well have been the man. Probably each has had his best times. I'm hoping to see more of Chris Cox over the next few years. He has a level of sophisticationin his riding that I think is well worth observing.

I've seen Chris Cox quite a few times.
There are so many trainers out there...I think It's nice to find one you can stick with.
I have seen John Lyons many, many times and find him to be very consistent, methodical and quiet around the horses he has worked with.
Just wanted to comment that when one is working with horses...you can't stick to a precise timetable...same with children I suppose....I wouldn't want to see a trainer move onto a new lesson with a horse unless the horse was ready for it, regardless of what the schedule said. Maybe he did see something no one else did? Who knows:p

KateWooten said:
I went to see him last year, and was very impressed. I watched all his videos and am very impressed, I love his book. They have really a lot of good in them for me.

I totally agree. We have a lot of his videos and they are filled with some great information. I liked him a lot the first time I went to see him 2 years ago.

KateWooten said:
A friend went to see him last week in Ohio. He said he was much, much quicker to raise the pressure on a pushy horse than he ever was before. He seems to be thinking the majority of horse behaviour problems here, is silly women not being assertive enough with their pushy spoilt horses. That may be true, but it's not the only problem by a long shot.

I saw the Ohio show too. It seemed like he was sick and tired of working with spoiled pushy horses and didn't want to be bothered training or riding them anymore, so he went for the quick fix, aggression to cause fear instead of getting respect.

KateWooten said:
It's really important to see the great teachers, at the time that they are great.

I never really thought about that before, but it makes a lot of sense. I saw John Lyons years ago and was a lot more impressed than when I saw him last year. I agree that Chris Cox has a lot to offer. I also saw a cowboy named Pat Hooks at Equine Affaire last spring. He is not as well known, but he really is gentle with horses when he works with them, but he still gets a lot of respect. We bought one of his books and a video and really like them a lot.

http://www.patrickhooks.com/

Here's an archive of some articles that he wrote for the AQHA.
http://www.aqha.com/magazines/americashorse/fixitup/Fix%20It%20Up%20Archive.html

julia gulia said:
I've seen Chris Cox quite a few times.
There are so many trainers out there...I think It's nice to find one you can stick with.

I like to take bits and pieces from a lot of them. I think they all have some very good ideas.

julia gulia said:
I wouldn't want to see a trainer move onto a new lesson with a horse unless the horse was ready for it, regardless of what the schedule said. Maybe he did see something no one else did? Who knows:p

Although the horse did not do the exercise perfectly, it had a very good understanding of it. He could have easily moved onto the next one or at least talked about what he would do next.

I saw Pony Boy at Equine Affair last year. I walked away. I have a DVD of his too - it's dreadful ! Well, ok, not dreadful ... it's all the same stuff as anyone else, not very well produced, very little footage of the actual training - very very superficial... and as always, hinges a lot on his fantasy of the ancient Native American tradition of horse gentling handed down through many generations LOL!

I've never seen Pony Boy. My OH bought his book Horse Follow Closely a few years ago. He said that he enjoyed it a lot. I have to admit that I never read it.

I love the pictures too. I didn't read it, but I looked at the pictures.:p

I started picking up feathers when I trail ride and I braid them into Cisco's hair because of that book

turkeyFeathersClose.jpg

newrider.com