Clipping advice - never done it before!!

M

mu0ljk

I am hoping to hire some clippers and have a go at clipping Dylan and Otto this Monday, but....I have never clipped before so any advice would be greatly apreciated! :)

Otto is fine to clip but Dylan can be a bit rude. I have got some sedaline for him which hopefully will calm him down!

Clip against the hair.

You need to do the outside line (i.e the edge) all in one else you will have a tatty line - it's nigh on impossible to stop a line than continue neatly without leaving a bump.

I basically just take a deep breath and go for it. I usually practise the line I want a couple of times with the clippers off then just go for it, all in one stroke.

When you come to do the other side take a little bit less off if you're not sure - you can't stick bits back on! Again, have a couple of practises to check you've got it even then just go for it.

Remember, people can't see both side at the same time so it doesn't need to be perfectly even. And it usually turns out suprising even anyways.

Always do less than you think - if you have a horse like Pink, they don't grow their coat back until the next spring, so yu're stuck with what you're got.

And DON'T keep taking a little bit off hear, a little bit of there - you end up with a bald horse:eek: Just leave it - once it's grown in a little it'll look just fine.

if yr worried about lines do the belly area 1st its the bit not so seen... with the horse that is rude, a lot of horses dont like the feeling of clippers or the sound, loud radio.... hold the clippers against the horse without them on, then turn them on away from horse, go closer but hold the back of yr hand against the horse mayb get someone to give a treat at this point if all is going well turn yr hand over and progress to clipping!

As I learned the hard way - when you're clipping around the girth area and right behind the front legs, get someone to stretch the leg forward so you can pull the skin tight!
I've also found (as a clipping novice) that it can help to have someone watching from a bit further away, to tell you if you are being relatively even or are about to go badly off course!
Before you start, make sure the blades are sharp, and the clippers are hair-free and well oiled. Otherwise you'll end up with a streaky horse!

if you can draw your lines on with chalk or a marker it helps. For lines on front and back legs take your time and aim to clip along the line of the muscle.
Mind where your clipper cable is, make sure neither you or the horse can get tangled in it.
Cross tying the horse really helps (tie with 2 leadropes one from each side of the headcollar)
Wear waterproofs! trust us the hair gets EVERYWHERE! ;)
make sure the horse has been washed and is dry before clipping
Clip against teh hair using even pressure
If you are worried about scalping them tie up their tail and mane before you start it will keep it out of the way for you

The only other thing I would add to everyone elses excellent tips is to give yourself plenty of time to do the job. Dont rush. And as Pinks lady says when youve finished leave well alone, its very easy to get carried away. Must be the frustrated hairdresser in me but I find it strangely addictive, and its all to easy to plan on a bib clip and end up with a blanket clip.

Thanks everyone - I shall have to keep an eye on the cable because I know otherwise I shall get completly tangled! :rolleyes:

I have some waterproof trousers somewhere so I will have to see if I can find them. I have some chalk too so I shall use that - although one horse is black and the other mainly white - not sure if I have any chalk that isn't white!

Poor Otto is desparate for a clip he has so much hair he sweats just on a 30min hack in walk. :(

Crosstying is a good idea I'm just not sure if there is anywhere I can do that - but there will be 2 of us there so one of us can clip while the other stands at the head.

Thank-you! :) Now I shall have to take before and after photos of them and you can all have a good laugh! ;)

Just a thought;-

why not get someone out to do it this time and watch closely and ask for pointers etc?

If you mess it up it will grow back, but it will look odd whilst you wait and can effect the look of the horses conformation

Just a thought;-

why not get someone out to do it this time and watch closely and ask for pointers etc?

If you mess it up it will grow back, but it will look odd whilst you wait and can effect the look of the horses conformation

Well, I have had horses clipped for me for the last 4/5 years and last year I was thinking about having a go so I have decided to bite the bullet and give it a go myself! ;)

My biggest tip would be to back off and use approach and retreat if you run in to any resistance anywhere on the horse. Spending a few minutes coming and going with the clippers rather than steaming in using restraint to get the job finished is often time well spent :)

Got home.. I think my clippers have arrived I ordered :eek::D...Runs of to the post office to collect parcel....:D :D

All of the above and dont forget to keep checking the temperature of the blades on your hand, if its uncomfortably hot for you then it is for the horse :D

newrider.com