Clipping legs with Liveryman Element clippers - questions

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I have just treated myself to some Liveryman Element clippers, partly because in the long run it will be cheaper and more convienient to do Harvey and Ellie's clipping needs myself.

They come with a set of blade guards for different lengths etc????? What blade guard do you need to clip bodies and legs? Do you not use the clipper guards for them, are they just in case you are doing other animals they are suitable for such as dogs?

Plus any advice for removing feathers and chin fluff from two ponies gratefully appreciated - i am a newbie to clipping!

They are trimmers - I have them and love them. Use the plastic bits though impossible to get even otherwise. I start with 12mm patch and work down to how long I want it so I don't go too short and get stuck with bald pony - think a 3 or 6 is my usual

They are trimmers - I have them and love them. Use the plastic bits though impossible to get even otherwise. I start with 12mm patch and work down to how long I want it so I don't go too short and get stuck with bald pony - think a 3 or 6 is my usual

Thank you - I saw the grading combs and just though a:) I don't know which ones to use!

yes, you are right they are trimmers but seem to be a good cross over between trimmers and clippers. The gumpth that came with them said they were fine for clipping things like legs and even the odd small body clip - but obvouisly not for heavy duty use.

I wanted some that were a reasonable price (these were just over £50 in the sale) that i could use for legs and jaws mainly. If i get the hang of clipping then i'll probably get more heavy duty proper clippers next winter but want to make sure i can do it first! :bounce:

I haven't used these ones but not convinced they will survive doing legs...really meant for finishing off faces, trimming beards etc. Will also do the odd bib clip on not too thick coats.

Our heavy duty Wolsey harrier 'clip several horses a day' clippers struggle with cob legs and we keep old but resharpened blades for that purpose as it kills them quickly.

I haven't used these ones but not convinced they will survive doing legs...really meant for finishing off faces, trimming beards etc. Will also do the odd bib clip on not too thick coats.

Our heavy duty Wolsey harrier 'clip several horses a day' clippers struggle with cob legs and we keep old but resharpened blades for that purpose as it kills them quickly.

oh dear! I'm hoping they will - will have a play tomorrow. Harvey hasn't got thick cob feathers really, they are fine and silky but quite long. He doesn't grow them all the way round his leg either just from the back of his knees/hocks down - a bit like a fringe on a cowboy boot!

I would like to do Ellie's to, partly to see what her fetlock is doing and partly because she looks untidy as hers arn't proper feathers at all.

I will report back tomorrow! if not at least i should be able to use them for jaws etc and maybe for harvey's clip next winter (he has a rubbish soft, thin winter coat)

I've full clipped madam several times with them and rascal has had a small trace clip. They found rascal more difficult but he does have a Shetland coat! Not tried legs

newrider.com