Cob feather problems

Long term @Trewsers, steroid cream used regularly for years is when it thins the skin, it will heal but eventually get to the point of being so thin it won’t hold fluids in the body anymore, and will be damaged and opened by a simple knock that healthy skin wouldn’t even notice, that is the very extreme but highlights why it should be used carefully.
I suspect the same as @carthorse as to why vets give it out readily.

Long term @Trewsers, steroid cream used regularly for years is when it thins the skin, it will heal but eventually get to the point of being so thin it won’t hold fluids in the body anymore, and will be damaged and opened by a simple knock that healthy skin wouldn’t even notice, that is the very extreme but highlights why it should be used carefully.
I suspect the same as @carthorse as to why vets give it out readily.
That's quite scary then, if it can damage skin and make it thin to that tune. Imagine if you were using it on a horse and didn't know and it happened. I wonder how or what would heal it then? Makes you wonder really doesn't it.

That's quite scary then, if it can damage skin and make it thin to that tune. Imagine if you were using it on a horse and didn't know and it happened. I wonder how or what would heal it then? Makes you wonder really doesn't it.
Once that happens the skin won’t regain thickness. I’ve been prescribed steroid cream since I was a kid and mum being a nurse I got all the horror stories I’m sure!

Once that happens the skin won’t regain thickness. I’ve been prescribed steroid cream since I was a kid and mum being a nurse I got all the horror stories I’m sure!
I'm sure mr trews uses a steroid cream of some kind - he has all manner of skin conditions. But I don't know how or why they work. :oops:

I have been using cocoa butter cream and a Hedgewitch Horse Oil with peppermint and sweet orange. The cocoa butter cream seems to be very acceptable to him, goes on easily, and already the scabs are softening and beginning to break up and fall away. He likes the smell of the oil but I am wary about using it while it is so sunny. However, it comes with a brilliant adjustable squirter so is great to get into the out of the way spots behind his heels, and I don't expect he will get sunburn there!

BTW My hands also like the cocoa butter cream. So does my nose. My cob smells of white chocolate :D

It is the most fantastic stuff for dry skin. I've had great success with it on scabs, my friend uses it on the exact same problem as SId has with more success than other lotions and potions, and despite constant handwashing we both had unchapped hands this winter. Keep an eye on Superdrug, they sometimes have 3 for 2 or similar offers on it.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Yes purple spray, especially if the sores are weeping, even crusty, as it helps to dry the skin.
Sudocrem is supposed to help with sunburn. So better than using oil at this time of year. I use it on chunkys bald neck. Yet again his bit of mane that he started to grow again over winter has fallen out. Third year running now. His skin is completely bald currently so im applying sudo to protect from sunburn. I infact use it on my face in the summer instead of using sunblock which i react to.
I too have also heard steroids cause skin thinning. When i had contact dermatitis i was prescribed two different steroid creams. One for my delicate face, a milder steroid, and one stronger for my body. Thats why they also say apply a thin layer.
Ironically my vets wont dish out the steroids willy nilly. I had to fight to get more steroid cream recently for Abbeys ears. When i ran out. Shes been on the cream for nearly 8 years now. Its the only thing that controls her break outs in the ears. It is only used sparingly when she starts to scratch and get irritated. The vets can look up and see when we purchased the meds from them. They have the history. They were like we need to see her, i was like im sorry but youve been prescribing it for years. We need to see the patient before we can prescribe meds. Yes but this is an ongoing life long condition. You will see her when i bring her for her vaccinations in a months time. I cannot afford to bring her now and again in a month and pay £100 for 2 consultations. They wouldnt prescribe it.
Most vets now will not issue meds without having seen the patient in the last 6 months. I think it is now the law. But i do think if its a life long condition there should be a degree of common sense. Also when youve been using the vets for some 40 years.
Anyway i digress from the post.

Reactions: Trewsers
Our vets mix their own MF - correct name Pastern Dermatitis" - cream. It's an emollient, an anti-bac and a steroid, all in one. You use it sparingly for a few days and it's like a miracle cream.

Gracie looks top-heavy when her feather is off. Since she's been on shavings she's stopped stamping her now-feathered legs so I'm rather delighted.

Reactions: Jessey
Yes purple spray, especially if the sores are weeping, even crusty, as it helps to dry the skin.
Sudocrem is supposed to help with sunburn. So better than using oil at this time of year. I use it on chunkys bald neck. Yet again his bit of mane that he started to grow again over winter has fallen out. Third year running now. His skin is completely bald currently so im applying sudo to protect from sunburn. I infact use it on my face in the summer instead of using sunblock which i react to.
I too have also heard steroids cause skin thinning. When i had contact dermatitis i was prescribed two different steroid creams. One for my delicate face, a milder steroid, and one stronger for my body. Thats why they also say apply a thin layer.
Ironically my vets wont dish out the steroids willy nilly. I had to fight to get more steroid cream recently for Abbeys ears. When i ran out. Shes been on the cream for nearly 8 years now. Its the only thing that controls her break outs in the ears. It is only used sparingly when she starts to scratch and get irritated. The vets can look up and see when we purchased the meds from them. They have the history. They were like we need to see her, i was like im sorry but youve been prescribing it for years. We need to see the patient before we can prescribe meds. Yes but this is an ongoing life long condition. You will see her when i bring her for her vaccinations in a months time. I cannot afford to bring her now and again in a month and pay £100 for 2 consultations. They wouldnt prescribe it.
Most vets now will not issue meds without having seen the patient in the last 6 months. I think it is now the law. But i do think if its a life long condition there should be a degree of common sense. Also when youve been using the vets for some 40 years.
Anyway i digress from the post.
Yes it's true they have to see the animal within six months even if the item is something they have been prescribed long term. Our vets are fabulous though and very very flexible about it. Where we used to live they made me book a specific call out just to do a prescription review. Rather than telling me when they'd been out to do teeth etc - they wouldn't let me have the Danilon one time for Storm. So a bit miffed about that. Our vets can prescribe things for the ferals without a consult too.

Mallenders is crusty thickened sore skin on the back of the knees on the front legs and Sallenders usually the front of the hock on the hinds. That really looks more like mud fever to me that has been festering away under long feathers for some time.

I agree with the others avoid steroid use if at all possible, the long term implications aren't good and can lead to weakened areas of skin that are even more susceptible to damage and sores.

It is also imperative if it is mud fever that the scabs have to be removed or you will never clear it up, it just gives a nice warm moist environment for it to multiply and get worse if scabs are left on.. Any cream that softens the scabs so you can gently remove them will do the trick. So long as the scabs aren't allowed to reform and you keep treating with any gentle skin cream they will eventually clear up altogether.

When you have eventually cleared all signs of the sores I would test a small area with pig oil and sulphur. If he doesn't react badly I would use it two weekly right through the year. It worked wonderfully on one of my old coloureds (some of you may remember Solly?) he always had very long and beautifully white feathers all year around. Even if you want to keep Sid feather free I would still have a regime with the pig oil and sulphur as it will protect him from further outbreaks of mud fever. If he does get Sallenders or mallenders you can also use the PO and S to soften the area and work away any rough scabby bits.

I think he is gorgeous by the way - you are very lucky to have him and I wish you many happy years together. :)

Reactions: Jessey
Mallenders is crusty thickened sore skin on the back of the knees on the front legs and Sallenders usually the front of the hock on the hinds. That really looks more like mud fever to me that has been festering away under long feathers for some time.

I agree with the others avoid steroid use if at all possible, the long term implications aren't good and can lead to weakened areas of skin that are even more susceptible to damage and sores.

It is also imperative if it is mud fever that the scabs have to be removed or you will never clear it up, it just gives a nice warm moist environment for it to multiply and get worse if scabs are left on.. Any cream that softens the scabs so you can gently remove them will do the trick. So long as the scabs aren't allowed to reform and you keep treating with any gentle skin cream they will eventually clear up altogether.

When you have eventually cleared all signs of the sores I would test a small area with pig oil and sulphur. If he doesn't react badly I would use it two weekly right through the year. It worked wonderfully on one of my old coloureds (some of you may remember Solly?) he always had very long and beautifully white feathers all year around. Even if you want to keep Sid feather free I would still have a regime with the pig oil and sulphur as it will protect him from further outbreaks of mud fever. If he does get Sallenders or mallenders you can also use the PO and S to soften the area and work away any rough scabby bits.

I think he is gorgeous by the way - you are very lucky to have him and I wish you many happy years together. :)
Thank you Cortrasna. How lovely to hear from you! I really hope I can clear up poor Sid's scabs and then maybe we'll have a go at letting the feathers grow.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com