cod liver oil & arthritis

Rudi

May 29, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Hi - I am exploring cod liver oil as a supplement for arthritis. I would give it a try, but am concerned about Vit. D toxicity. Apparently C.L.O. has a lot of Vit. D. and my horses are outside 24 hours per day so they already get more than enough Vit. D. Would 1 oz. of C.L.O. be harmful for this reason or is it so tiny an amount that it wouldn't hurt? Thx!

P.S. Has anyone tried apple cider vinegar for arthritis?

I don't use cod liver oil as I heard that its not good for the bones due to it coming from fish. I would recommend Soya Oil. Its cheaper and is as good if not better for the horse. My pony has an excellent coat, but i couldn't tell about it helping arthritus as he's to young yet.

Thx for the replies....hmmm, now it sounds like any oil may be beneficial for arthritis. I have never heard of soya oil or veg oil for arthritis but I'll look around on the Net about them. I'll also have to check out the negatives of using fish oil on horses' bones as I hadn't heard that before either.

My main concern with trying cod liver oil is negative effects of additional Vit. D, and also if anyone has actually seen results with it. (It's so much cheaper than glucosamine!)

I have never had results for arthritis using cod liver oil. They do end up with a nice coat but thats all.

My horse has navicular and arthritis. He was on cider apple vinegar and seemed a little better. However the biggets improvements were when I started him on cortaflex. He isnt nearl as stiff. Is back in light work and now runs about the field like a 2yr old!

I must agree that I have never heard of using soya oil or veg oil for arthritis. I was told to use soya oil for the coat and to help put weight on. Veg oil again was for a healthy coat but they may have benefits.

Cider vinegar is cheaper when bought directly from Hilton Herbs or at least buying it from a saddlers. Less needs to be given to the horse so it lasts longer and only costs about £12.50. Its the cheapest that I have found as other that dont cost as much to begin with have to be fed in larger quantities. Hope this helps!

CLO does give results, but you have to expect to use it for a very long time (up to 3 months) before you can conclusively say there is any benefit. Soya and vegetable oil do not containg the essential fatty acids that CLO contains, which are the important parts for alleviating the symptoms of arthritis, so this wouldn't be particularly beneficial (except for coat and condition). Given in the correct doses CLO should not effect horses bones (the largest determinant of bone and joint health is the type and level of exercise). Your vet should know the correct range of dosage for horses.

The problem with arthritis is that all you can do is alleviate the symptoms, as yet there is no cure for arthritis. However there are some very good clinical trials in horse and humans for the use of CLO, plus we have used it for many horses in the past and it has worked.

Last edited:
Your very lucky to have seen results using CLO as I have never seen any difference in my horse. He was fed the CLO for over a year at the recommended dose.

The nutritionalist I spoke to recommended using Cider Apple Vinegar. My horse seems to be better especially in the mornings after being stabled over night.

Yes, I think I have been lucky over the years with the CLO but I know plenty of other people who have been as well. In fact, there is a research group (one of the best in the UK and is made up of scientists and vets) that have got some of the most promising data in this area. Whilst CLO has never solved the problem (some research indicates it is probably better used as a preventative measure rather than a complete cure), but it can (without boring you too much with the biology) provide increased movement and reduces the friction in the joints, thus alleviating arthritic symptoms.

A lot of the research that has gone on this area really only shows mild benefits of any 'natural remedy' and at the end of the day you have to determine whether you would and can treat any pain with natural options or more conventional treatments such as NSAID's.

The research on all dietary supplements (glucosamine) for arthritis is pretty poor, both in the human and veterinary worlds, and the speed with which the research field progresses is very slow - regardless of what companies and the media tell us about certain products.

Thx everyone for replying. Here's an update. My horse has been on glucosamine for 1 month now and she has had a decrease in the noise coming from her knees altho' she still limps. I am going to try it for 6 months. My farrier mentioned, without my even asking, about trying apple cider vinegar. He said it works by dissolving calcium build-up in the knees. So I am going to try that after the glucosamine, and I will probably try c.l.o. after the vinegar. I have now heard from people who have definitely seen results for arthritic horses with glucosamine, c.l.o. and apple cider vinegar.

newrider.com