Cold Boots/Ice Boots

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Can anyone recommenced a pair/single cold boot/ice boot?

I have a gelcels 'thing' at the moment that I bought about 20 years ago, you drop it in a bucket of water and it activates the gel, but it's not really getting cold anymore, just wet, so I am looking for alternatives.

I have ice boots for Storm, I bought them for when her tendon got injured. You have to freeze them for no more than twenty mins to half an hour and then apply them for no more than twenty mins. I got them from Rideaway, I'll see if I can find a link. They've been very hard wearing and have been through an awful lot,
Muddy legs etc when she re injured!
Only thing I did think was very useful was icegel because you can pop that on right away and not have to wait for the boots to cool up.

Can recommend the JHL and LeMieux cool boots. JHL have inserts you refrigerate. The LeMieux you soak. My physio was very critical of ice vibe. I can see her point. Massage promotes blood flow but cooling restricts it - so what exactly are they trying to do? I'd always considered getting some until chatting to her about them

Can recommend the JHL and LeMieux cool boots. JHL have inserts you refrigerate. The LeMieux you soak. My physio was very critical of ice vibe. I can see her point. Massage promotes blood flow but cooling restricts it - so what exactly are they trying to do? I'd always considered getting some until chatting to her about them

That is a very interesting point about the massage and then cooling.

Yeah, I'd never thought about it until chatting to the physio. She'd grilled horseware about it who also couldn't answer her question. That made me doubt their effectiveness. Are they just developed to get us to part with lots of cash?! I ended up going with the LeMieux cool boots (I have the JHL ones but they are very old and inserts have lost effectiveness) and buying an arc equine unit which does have the research to back up claims.

newrider.com