Cold, Wet & Muddy....

Helen G

Sep 25, 2000
Visit site
Hi all! I share a 14.2hh mare and have got a few questions about what the correct procdures to follow are after riding in the cold and wet.
After a hack, I hose down her legs to get rid of all the mud and then I towel dry them - but what about the rest. Should I towel her off to get rid of most of the dampness and mud and then put her rug back on and put her in the stable (she has a chaser clip)?
Also, what about schooling in the freezing cold in the evening and she gets sweaty. I walk her round to cool her off, but what should I do then. Should I just untack her, give her a quick brush, put her rug back on and put her back in the stable?
Thanks....

Winter Riding

After a hack, I would try to brush off all the mud and dirt chunks, towel dry any sweat, tehn put her into her stall.

After riding, you can towel dry any sweat, of try to curry off any wet hairs. After you brush her, put her blanket on while you pick out her feet, so she stay's warm.

Maci :)

It depends on what type of rug you're using. If it is a breathable stable rug you should be able to put it straight on, if it isn't then you should really use a cooler first to make sure she's warm and dry before you put the stable rug on. If the stable rug isn't breathable, it will get damp and then stay damp and cold throughout the night which wont do her much good. You must also make sure that she doesn't break into a cold sweat if you put her away when she's sweaty.

Suggest you get a sweat rug - they're not too (!) expensive. She needs to cool down without getting cold before you rug up. Try to avoid rubbing damp legs if they're still muddy because that will just send the particles deeper and nearer the skin.

Just a warning for anyone reading this thread, with the appalling weather we're having, there seems to be an awful lot of mud fever cases around. Try to avoid brishing your horses legs with a dandy brush, they can cause minute scratches to the skin and allow mud fever to take a hold, if you must clean the legs, hose them instead.

newrider.com