Colicked again

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Was due to go and collect mum for xmas but Murphy colicked again this morning. We have spent 2 hours trying to load the little shit but failed, so given him pain relief and see what happens, all I need is a dead donkey over xmas stinking up the stables while we wait for a man with a digger.

4 of us including a horse whisperer/trainer couldn't load him, he has gone in the lorry before when I put a bucket in it, and he was nosy but of course not today.

he has not impaction, but may have colitis we just don't know, have taken bloods to see if they reveal anything, he is up the field at the moment as vet said tolet him keep to his routine and also the wet grass will help his hydration. Ideally would have taken him to hospital, scanned abdomen, put him on a drip but can only do what we can do.

We have spent 2 hours trying to load the little shit but failed, all I need is a dead donkey over xmas stinking up the stables while we wait for a man with a digger.

2nd time Ive read this thread today as I couldnt believe what Id read the 1st time round. My heart goes out to your donkey. Im sure hed love to be owned by someone that cared.
:mad:

thanks for your comment, I am simply saying the practicality of what happened when one of our donkeys was pts and we couldn't get a man with a digger to come and bury her.

We had a NH trainer who lives down the road out to help, the vet's husband called away from doing the Christmas shopping and me and we could not get him in, even after sedating him.

He was seen by the vet on Friday, when he seemed ok, was given pain relief, he was good yesterday but worse today so the donkey has been seen twice today by vets, we have spoken to the donkey sanctuary vets three times so far, and doing all we can for him. He has had hit bloods done and nothing shows up in them, we have ordered a product suggested by the donkeys sanctuary to help soak up any toxins in his gute, but with the holidays who knows when we will get it. he has now had some bute orally, this was not a pleasant experience for either of us as he refused to take it in any of the sugared concoctions offered to him. so he was tied up tight, and managed to open his mouth and throw it in.

So dear Orbvalley if I didn't care about him, I would have managed to get to collect mum, see my uncle who is ill and do our food shopping. Instead have spent all day monitoring him, still in my mucking out clothes.

I do hope he's better. What a bugger that he wouldn't load. Ziggy is hard to load, but when he colicked and the ambulance came to whiz him to horsepital he just walked on - so much pain he didn't care, I suppose. He wouldn't load to come home, the little tinker!

I do hope he's better. What a bugger that he wouldn't load. Ziggy is hard to load, but when he colicked and the ambulance came to whiz him to horsepital he just walked on - so much pain he didn't care, I suppose. He wouldn't load to come home, the little tinker!

he hasn't travelled at all, not since Gillies delivered him to us and I deliberately let them fetch him as I reckoned he would be hard to load so better to let him have a fight with strangers he has gone in the box and had a look around but of course today when it mattered he just switched off and wasn't going anywhere near it.

Orbvalley why don't you lust leave it. II have been down at the stables since 530 this morning and was down last night at 1030pm, waking the rest of the gang up to see how he was. And for the record the mother I was collecting is 91 years old and had cancelled her 4 times a day carers who support her living at home to come down here to stay for two weeks. so she was an emergency as well as she is registered blind and has to take medication 4 times a day as well as have meals made.

On the plus side he has pooed normally this morning, no sign of any runny poo overnight which is excellent, he has eaten up including taking more pain relief albeit not with good grace. I am just about to phone the vet as she was going to another colic case at 8am to update her. Everyone is doing all they can for him, we both agreed yesterday that ideally we would refer him to Dick Vet in Edinburgh but there was no way he was going in the horsebox, so all we can do is what can be done in a home environment. If you feel this falls short of yours and Mystiquemalaika's standards of care please feel free to report us to the SSPCA.

Last edited:
Knowing D&T for many years, ok over the internet, I think her post was one of pure frustration at trying to do her very best for all the animals and hoomans in her life. Juggling the Christmas plates at the best of time is exhausting, add colic and a very stubborn unhelpful ill donkey is one plate too many and I think some are very swift to judge rather than read the post in the spirit it was meant.

I did not read cruelty, I read someone who was at her wits’ end and trying to do right by everything life was throwing at her on that partcular day. By stating the practicalities and fears does not make someone a bad person, just perhaps a person who is scared, frightened and panicking about the what-ifs. For some, being trite and making a joke of a horrible situation are just coping mechanisms at a situation that is beyond control.

All the best D&T and I hope little donk pulls through. You can only do your best and I, for one, know that is exactly what you will do.

he has made it through to Xmas Day, the runs seem to have dried up, no more passing of membrane since Sunday, managing to get pain relief into him with a bit of a battle. He is taking the marsh marigold powder in his feed with a bit of glucose and is drinking and eating well. He tried to grab the feed buckets out of my hands this morning and last night soaked me when I was filling the dustbins and buckets on the yard and he grabbed the hose and sprayed me. I had put a leather head collar on him to make handling a bit easier as he is now being a right little bugger to catch and get a halter on....but he managed to take it off, though he was decent enough to leave it on the yard rather than bury it up the field which is where 2 other leather head collars are missing in action.

He is in the barn with Aimee and Tintin helping himself to the buffet. He is the one with the rear sticking out....with little Aimee on left and Mr T at the back, it's quite hard to get in there to get anything out but they don't care.
006.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

My mum claims to have been up to the loo 6 times last night, I only heard her once. So perhaps she has what Murphy had. Should I call a doctor or the vet.

Merry Christmas everyone.

not so good tonight, he is eating and drinking but he is walking badly behind. See how he in in the morning as the vet on call today is not a horse vet so wait till tomorrow and see if he eases off.

newrider.com