Colicked again

Just a thought. Could it be liverfluke?

very unlikely as not fluke country like where we were in the west where it was wet and reedy and you had to really watch the sheep. His bloods showed nothing significant, he was tape wormed x 2 in December and due to be done for redworm in January. He ate up ok on xmas day, slept a lot, no point in calling vet out as the one on call isn't much use with horses. He was walking badly behind last night, but then my back has been out after the gallbladder surgery and probably caused by trying to avoid hurting the painful area. he isn't the best mover at the best of times. He has been lying down and resting a lot, but that doesn't help me as he lies down in the field all the time.

This morning he was noisy, which is good, and bargy, which is good, and opinionated, which is good, he ate up a large breakfast including his marsh marigold and some glucose, and when he went into the barn to help himself to haylage, I managed to get some bute into him. I am getting sneaky, didn't try to put a collar on, just grabbed him and opened mouth and launched it in.....I suspect it will be a long time, if ever, should he survive, before he trusts me again, but it has to be done.

So he's good one minute, bit less so next. There is no runny poo anywhere so his gut seems to be improving a bit and not found any more of that worrying membrane that concerned the vet, thank god I spotted it. I think he gets a bit tired as the day goes on, but yesterday he was asleep in field and then in Suze's double stable where Tintin and Aimee were guarding him. His partner, Krug, is very quiet and worried, keeps going up and nudging him. They have a very strong pair bond and play a lot and knock hell out of each other. they have been great for each other as neither had a donkey pal till they met here. It's been the making of both of them as they can really play and have fun, as Aimee and Tintin are more sedate.

Reactions: lauren123
The feeling good and then the feeling bad, for me, can be a symptom of fluke. That’s why I thought of it.

Any who, I am glad he is shouting and barging.

this all started after we had a new batch of haylage delivered so my best guess is that is the cause as it is quite straw like but sweet, Krug has also been a bit loose but not Aimee or Tintin. But when the vets are back will ask about fluke just in case - how do you test for it? I remember we did all that with Rose when she poisoned herself.

He and the other 3 wanted to go up the winter field with fat club wintering out comtois, so off they have gone, it's nice and dry, they have all had a roll and were last seen chasing each other. I have to go down with gaffer tape now to repair the holes they made in the haylage bales en route.

I was thinking about this in the afternoon.

Basically, when I suck my teeth and my waters churn about an unknown chronic illness, I give fasinex (liver fluke treatment unlicensed for horses but works fine) and then I can cross-out liver fluke as a potential problem in my head.

Very unscientific but I do know that liver fluke is on the up in horses and very difficult to detect.

I have seen liver fluke again this year in summer. In the height of the really dry spell. My sheep only get it when I am grazing in my neighbours field. It has under ground streams. The ground on top can be dry. I use combinex to treat.
I don't know if you can see early, early signs, but I know when there faces are swollen and they go off there food. They loose weight rapidly. Its aparrently too late and internal damage is done. Treat fast enough and they do get over it. Before I new about this field causing a problem and the signs I did loose a couple of sheep. Although to say one of the ones that had it this year, also had it last year. Recovery last year was much quicker. So I think the more it hits them the more internal damage is done.

He seems to have turned the corner and pretty much back to his old bratty self. he is eating well, no runs, and drinking, and lights are back on, so hopefully he is feeling much better. he may have a touch of lami due to the pain which has caused a bit of tenderness and stiffness but that seems to be easing off, he is off pain relief, will keep him on marsh marigold till sunday then stop as you aren't meant to use it long term.

Well, that's good news. Well done xx
(Hope your Mum has turned a corner too)
Well, that's good news. Well done xx
(Hope your Mum has turned a corner too)

it's very sad Frances, I hadn't seen her since September when she was down and we had a huge bust up. But she has declined a lot, her mobility is much worse every time I see her, and she is so bloody negative. she does nothing to help herself so she will only get worse.

newrider.com