Colicky Hank

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
It’s been a restless night as Hank got colicky at tea time yesterday ? ate half his tiny tea then just stood looking at it, 10 minutes later he laid down right there, I watched him for a bit and put a call in to my vet for over the phone help as I’m isolating.

I managed to get him to eat some activated charcoal and Epsom salts and have a drink and my vet talked me through an exam and he seemed to feel a bit better although his gut still sounded spasmy. After another hour I left them, watching like a hawk on the camera from home. He was fine for a couple of hours then started the ups and downs again and fussing at his belly so I went back.

His gut was much quieter. I walked down to the barn and boiled the kettle for some not frozen water for him, he went down again in the time that took. He had a little drink and his tummy sounded a bit more lively. So I put a dozen grass nuts in an inch of water which he was very keen for. But he still seemed a little uncomfortable, so I relented and gave him a bute which quickly made him more comfortable, he did a cow pat poo while I mixed it up which made me feel better. He’s looked happy all night and I’m just waiting on daylight to go back now.

I did just manage to wake him up, he was laid down (not diteressed) and trying to see if I could get a better view on the camera I switched from infrared light to white lights and he just hopped up to see what that was all about before going back to the serious job of eating, so I know he’s pretty bright this morning.

Reactions: Huggy
It's annoying when you don't know who you've been in contact with, or where, so there's the chance of it being a false alarm - they have happened. A fb friend had an alert saying she must self isolate as she'd been in contact with someone - no she really hadn't as she'd been in the whole time looking after an ill child in a house in the back of nowhere and the only person she'd seen was he doctor and her husband neither of who had tested positive.

Reactions: Jessey
I really hope that he is OK this morning. Sounds similar to what I went through with Ben last weekend, but it is good that Hank had a poo. Fingers crossed it passes quickly.

I put one of the oldies (26 year old Icelandic who had sudden onset colic and nearly died last February)on TurmerAid from Golden Paste Company as turmeric helps digestion and gut movement. He has not (touch wood) had another episode since.

He’s bright as a button this morning, I’ve just given a good dose of psyllium to make sure everything is moving and flush any sand out that may have contributed, he’ll get it daily for a week now.
03FC239F-04EF-43EF-9F36-0D94FAF0C738.jpeg

That's a relief. If needs be could the vet see him without you in attendance?
yes they will come but would prefer not to, I called my vet straight away in the hopes of heading it off before it got to bad, rather than my normal first aid and monitor approach, unfortunately he’s too small to rectal anyway and tubing is challenging purely because of his size.

It's annoying when you don't know who you've been in contact with, or where, so there's the chance of it being a false alarm - they have happened. A fb friend had an alert saying she must self isolate as she'd been in contact with someone - no she really hadn't as she'd been in the whole time looking after an ill child in a house in the back of nowhere and the only person she'd seen was he doctor and her husband neither of who had tested positive.
I think I figured it out this morning, my neighbours have put a sign on their door to say they have covid, they’re little terraced houses so I suspect I’ve been within 2m but the app just wouldn’t realise there’s a wall between us. Obviously I’ll finish out the 10 days just in case but I feel a little less concerned now.

I forgot to share me other scare from last night
6A070B53-D36F-47A1-87AE-125D97A81C00.jpeg
that lump is Niko who was out cold, arriving, calling and whistling got no response, and I’d seen him laying down earlier then up again on the camera so started to panic. Only when I got over to him with my torch on his face and Jess started moving did he look up and very disgusted at being woken up ?

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
He’s bright as a button this morning, I’ve just given a good dose of psyllium to make sure everything is moving and flush any sand out that may have contributed, he’ll get it daily for a week now.
View attachment 105168

yes they will come but would prefer not to, I called my vet straight away in the hopes of heading it off before it got to bad, rather than my normal first aid and monitor approach, unfortunately he’s too small to rectal anyway and tubing is challenging purely because of his size.

I think I figured it out this morning, my neighbours have put a sign on their door to say they have covid, they’re little terraced houses so I suspect I’ve been within 2m but the app just wouldn’t realise there’s a wall between us. Obviously I’ll finish out the 10 days just in case but I feel a little less concerned now.

That's another way the app fails completely, it would make far more sense if they gave more details and allowed a degree of judgement about whether there was any exposure. If the virus can get through brick walls masks seem kind of irrelevent!

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I’m still checking him non stop, just looked at the camera and he’s laying down again, turned on the speaker and said “Hank, are you ok bud” well they both sprung to attention ? and Hank to his feet, so I’m guessing he’s just tired after last night or perhaps it’s normal for him to sleep in the day, I don’t normally check in quite so much! He’s now back eating hay so hopefully nothing more than that.

I’m still checking him non stop, just looked at the camera and he’s laying down again, turned on the speaker and said “Hank, are you ok bud” well they both sprung to attention ? and Hank to his feet, so I’m guessing he’s just tired after last night or perhaps it’s normal for him to sleep in the day, I don’t normally check in quite so much! He’s now back eating hay so hopefully nothing more than that.
I'm really liking the sound of your camera, how clever it is!

My gut is grumbling, he outwardly looks normal; bright, alert, being a pain, eating, drinking, all that stuff. Gut sounds on the quieter side of normal where last night he sounded like a washing machine. But I’ve got a nag, so I’ve separated him for the night so I can monitor deposits more closely. There we plenty from last night but I can’t tell him and dan apart, some were rabbit dropping like so assumed it was him but put him in a separate paddock for a couple of hours this afternoon with more grass and not a single pile.......not impossible he just didn’t go in that time but.....

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
My gut is grumbling, he outwardly looks normal; bright, alert, being a pain, eating, drinking, all that stuff. Gut sounds on the quieter side of normal where last night he sounded like a washing machine. But I’ve got a nag, so I’ve separated him for the night so I can monitor deposits more closely. There we plenty from last night but I can’t tell him and dan apart, some were rabbit dropping like so assumed it was him but put him in a separate paddock for a couple of hours this afternoon with more grass and not a single pile.......not impossible he just didn’t go in that time but.....
Fingers crossed it's just a feeling and nothing more.

newrider.com