Colourful and painful bruise!!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Have posted this in the training of the rider section - cos I just wanted to post a thread about applying caution!!! I now have a magnificent bruise between my armpit and upper arm - and I wasn't even riding!!! I stupidly went to stroke one of the Yard Owners stallions (he's 30 and looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth). I've stroked him many times but last night looks like he just fancied something to eat other than hay :eek: He was peering over the top of his box as usual - but oh boy do I wish I'd just ignored him!!!!! Just wanted to say - when in doubt - keep away and don't stroke other peoples horses :eek: :eek: Its so swollen and painful I'll not be able to ride for quite a while!!!! I always had a fear of being kicked too..... :rolleyes:

know how your feeling. I'm nursing a lovely bruise after being kicked by my own horse. I stupidly know he is sensative and ran my hands down a sensative spot and he just swung his leg back and kicked.

Sounds painful, looks like hes lost a friend :cool:

I have only been kicked once, it was on my very first riding lesson when I was six - I seem to remeber crying alot and the RI saying "I told you not to get too close to the horse in front of you when leading" - but I did go back next week for more lessons :) .

Sorry, I've confused you! He BIT me!!!!!! :eek: It was so quick, I couldn't have moved quick enough if I'd tried!!! One minute I was stroking the side of his head, the next I was in agony - he knew he'd done wrong, he shot to the other side of his box :mad: Anyway, I will be more cautious in future!!! I was more shocked than anything - this morning am VERY sore. I look like one of those dreadful crime watch pictures when they show injuries...... I mean about kicking - I've always been most wary of that in horses!!! and it was the teeth I should have been watching.....

When I first bought Rhi she bit someone. She got a firm slap on the muzzle and never did it again

Following on from what I said above I understand how wary your feeling. I find myself more wary walking behind Peter now

I had a huge bruise once from being bitten by an evil riding school pony that i was leading except it was a bit more embarrassing because he bit my belly :eek: :eek:

Ruffiane - somebody on our yard recommended arnica gel - I must get some! Cherokee - how on earth did he manage to get your belly????!!! :eek: :D (bet you got more sympathy than me - YO more or less accused me of doing something horrible to her horse :mad: )

an evil riding school pony i was leading bit my hand, we did a change of rein in the school so i had to change the side i was leading on, as i came round the front i move my hands to hold on from the other side and she bit my hand, right over the thumb, held on and slowly draged her teeth all the way down ...and it was my right hand so doing girths/stirups after 2 fingers and a thumb had lost all feeling was amuzing ...it was black and red and purple for about 2/3 weeks :D

newrider.com