Combined flu and tetanus

Remmy

Administrator
Nov 8, 1999
uk
Has anyone's horse ever had side affects from the combined flu and tetanus ? Possibly 1-2 weeks after the injection.

I would be interested to hear about symptoms like lathargy, weight loss and possible diagnosis of tetanus or liver disfunction/failure.

I have heard of these symptoms but never ever been witness, directly to any horse suffering such symptoms.

COPD

Two of our ponies developed COPD after routine vacs, took me a couple of years to figure who they started coughing just before the shows started til I connected it to the vacs. When I mentioned it to the vet he said they had changed the vacine they used so I wouldnt have the problem again.
I'd be very interested in any reference to liver damage - since my mare has been diagnosed with it I have come across so many cases, some very unlikely to have been ragwort, which is what everyone suggests.

Lesley, you would not believe the recent conversations that I had with two people today regarding this. Both with similar stories and vets diags pointing to liver damage then tetanus!

I'm clasping at straws but think there is a possibilty that my boy could have had a reaction to the most popular combined flu/tet vaccine. He had been diagnosed with liver failure and true enough, showed all the signs too. Just so happened that it was about 10 days after his injection.

I will hopefully have his biopsy results on Monday and will also have the opportunity to discuss this with my vet.

Will let you know what else I can find out about this 'possible' connection.

PS. haven't 'really' forgotten your vids :)

Hi Vicki

I hadn't made the connection! Sorry to hear about your horse, my mare looks so awful, although she is in reasonable form and eating again, she is on a course of homoeopathic remedies from www.ainsworth.com, just started so I haven't seen any change yet. Vet doesn't offer much hope but I can't just wait for her to go into full failure without doing something! She's also on NAF Detox but she hates it so I may change to Restore which is also recommended.
I would be so angry if it turned out to be vaccine related! Looking at my records, they had their boosters in March and she went off her food just before the EETT - about a month later, although it had been working on her.
Keep in touch, this could be interesting!
No hurry on the videos - will you be at the next course? Could get them there, hopefully. Lesley

Lesley, it's interesting to hear that you are trying homeopathy too. I posted another thread on Kineseology as I too needed to try something other than conventional medicine. The vet left me with some vitamin injections to try and 'support' his liver and give him a bit of a boost, which I did try to administer. One attempt was all I managed and he would have none of it.

Because he was so sick and had so little energy to even walk I was pretty desperate so sent some hair to this lady to 'analyse'. She recommended using Juniper Berry oil for him to lick off your hand, lime to add to his water, and Green clay powder to add to his feed. This too was changed which he is not best pleased about although he does eat it eventually!

I have to say that he started the oils and feed change on Thursday last week and already he looks brighter and will walk out on the lunge. Plus he became very sensitive to touch. This has just about disappeared - I can now brush him around his stifle area without the prospect of being mortally wounded.

As a matter of interest, did you horses keep a swelling or large bump in the site of the injection for longer than you might of expected? Mine had a weepy 'marble sized' lump from this injection and the previous one six weeks before that which had only just gone in the last couple of days.

Vicki

Vicki, No, no local reaction. I will keep a note of the oils etc, but I'd better give the homoeopathy a chance now we've started, and I know you can't mix oils and homoeopathy. She is looking worse tonight, dare I hope that is the remedies starting to work? very footsore but that may be because the farrier gave her a very gentle tidy-up on Friday. Glad yours is a bit happier. Who would have horses, they're a heartscald! Lesley

All the horses at the yard where I keep Monty went lame after being vaccinated once. They were injected into the brisket instead of the neck (ironically to reduce the risk of side effects, supposedly!) and they all went lame, their legs kinda went really stiff, couldn't bend at the knee or fetlock. Went sound within a week though.

Fiona.

Hi Vicki & Lesley,

Sorry to hear you horses have been ill:eek:, and glad that they are improving. I was wondering if you might consider doing a poll on this, as I have heard about a few horses who have had side effects from vaccination. I did think twice about having my two done, but went ahead last Monday.

Marie-Ann.

newrider.com