Combining warm coat, body-protector (& high vis)

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Hi all,

i tend to ride in a body protector all the time - hacking, lessons etc. In the Spring/Summer it's easy as I just wear it over a T-Shirt (but do get hot at times!!).

In the Autumn/Winter I like to wear a warm/waterproof coat too. Options are big coat with BP underneath. Which isn't comfortable, as arm movement restricted and I look like an odd-shaped Michelin Man!! Or, I wear a thin coat underneath, but suffer the cold and BP can get tight.....

If I'm wanting to wear a hi-viz tabbard that's an added layer. Howver it elastic enough to go over anything..

What do others do? I'm I the only hacker in a BP?

When I used to hack out (as don't currently have a horse), I used to wear lots and lots of thin layers in winter and put my BP over the top. I then had a fairly light waterproof jacket that went over the top of my BP as there was no way that I could fit a big coat on. I used to be very warm and didn't miss a big bulky coat. I know that Mountain Horse do a coat with a BP built in, but I never fancied this because I didn't think that it would fit that well.

Tks MP. I too have seen the all-in-one coat and it doesn't appeal! I guess thermal base layers (I have ski versions) would be warm.... I'm sure there's an opportunity for an equine clothing company to cone up with something specifically designed for this...

Tks MP. I too have seen the all-in-one coat and it doesn't appeal! I guess thermal base layers (I have ski versions) would be warm.... I'm sure there's an opportunity for an equine clothing company to cone up with something specifically designed for this...

I used to get Thermals from Blacks and layer them. I was so warm apart from my toes which would always freeze no matter how many socks I put on!

I always wear a bp too.
One should wear a bp over a thin layer only, not over a coat or jacket as you sometimes see kids do our hunting!
In winter I wear my bp over a thin wool polo neck sweater -or heavy cotton shirt . So it is in the same position as in summer -
Wearing as much or little as I want over the bp is not a problem.
For winter when it is really cold I wear a heavy fleece and Musto heavier waterproof longer jacket over the fleece. (I dont have the actual zip in layer supposed to go with the jacket) Plus a large size high viz on top of everything else.

I dont understand why your arm movements are restricted? I have tried on bps including Race safe and the latest Airowear for women where my arm movement is restricted by the BP. I wear my bp for dressage style riding too so need my arms to hang straight down my sides.

Also I did wear a bp when trying on and buying my expensive Musto winter jacket. And with all waterproofs, I do tend to buy the medium size rather than the small - but that is the same when hill walking. You need a warterproof that will go over a sweater if necessary. And a sweater is bulkier round the arms than a bp.

In all my jackets I look for one that opens all the way down the front - not these modern sweats with a zip just at the neck. But that is the only concession to wearing a bp underneath.

I have a Mountain Horse Body Guard Jacket. It's got body protector panels inside a coat, then I just pop my hi viz over it. It's a bit bulky to start with then you forget you are wearing it. :happy:

Manufacturers recommend that BPs are worn as close to the skin as possible, in fact the material is designed so that it is most effective when it has been warmed up due to body heat.
By that logic, it should always be at most on top of a jumper and never on top of a coat. However, for some reason this isn't common knowledge (I never knew until it was drummed into us at the equine specific first aid course) and although I tell all my clients it's far more common to see people with a BP as the outer layer round here.

ETA: cross-posted with Skib - what she said!

I will confess that I didn't know that about body protectors. Well, that helps alot. I shall go for the thermal base layer idea, with BP and then warmer or waterproof on top of the BP.... at least I have a plan.

Thanks

i always wear a BP and i know exactly what you mean about choosing clothing to go with it,lol. i also think it depends a lot on what BP you have, i love my racesafe and people are often surprised to learn i have it on at all!

hot weather - my highvis harness has velcro at tops and sides so can go over anything
DSC00052.jpg

BP under zip up hoody here
newsaddlepamela041.jpg

over long sleeved top
DSCF1657.jpg

under rugby top
hack021.jpg

under blouson jacket
DSC00877.jpg

snowyhack055.jpg

under show jacket
DSCF2583.jpg

Reactions: FaithDestiny
OMG woman stop talking about cold weather :stomp::stomp::redcarded:

I don't wear a BP so can't really comment and I get far too hot riding anyway :giggle: I do love hi viz jackets in the winter though - mine is super snuggley and far more visible than a tabbard.

CA (BW) - thanks for all the lovely pics.... you seem to look considerably more elegant than I do in my BP, but hey I'm getting older!! Good suggestions from all - think Winter blouson jacket is the way to go.

PM - I'm so sorry to mentioned Winter and cold, but this morning reminded me of it all :wink: I really don't mind riding in the Winter (as longs as I can have somewhere dry to tack-up and ride from :stomp:)

i always wear my BP too and in the winter i wear a thin fleece hoody underneath (get these from Primark - great for layering in the cold!) then BP then my musto snug jacket. Never had any issues with restricted arm movement. Also sometimes wear a Bronte blousen jacket and similarly have no issues. If i'm hacking I have a close weave mesh workwear hi-viz jacket that is big enough to go over everything. was a bargain from a local agricultural merchants!

I bought OH the Mountain Horse coat with the built in padding its HORRIBLE!!!!!! He hated it and has taken all the padding out, it was just such a bad fit.
I wear my bp all the time for hacking and schooling and what I do is either wear a tee shirt in summer or long sleeved polo shirt in winter - with a coat on top. Its not ideal and doesn't look very nice (I resemble a sumo wrestler) but at least I am warm! I actually find in winter the bp gives me a little added warmth which is a bonus!

Merino wool base layers, top and long johns. Almost too warm but don't itch or smell as some of the man made fibres do.

I have the freezing toes as well and still haven't found something that can keep them really warm.

God I already look like an all in wrestler with my BP on over a t-shirt (just got it and I'm a size 20:redface:). Cannot wait for the fun of trying to find a jacket big enough to accomodate me, my wonderful chest and a bp. Have loads of thermals and like the idea of a thin fleecy top, got a couple of them so hopefully will be ok.

When I used to hack out (as don't currently have a horse), I used to wear lots and lots of thin layers in winter and put my BP over the top. I then had a fairly light waterproof jacket that went over the top of my BP as there was no way that I could fit a big coat on. I used to be very warm and didn't miss a big bulky coat. I know that Mountain Horse do a coat with a BP built in, but I never fancied this because I didn't think that it would fit that well.

I've got one of these - it has foam pads in pockets all over the coat, they say it's special shock-absorbing foam. I've only ever fallen off once wearing it, and that was on sand, so it wasn't much of a test. I think it would work fine as a bp, because it protects all your vulnerable parts (back, ribs, arms etc). But I took the foam out because it was so heavy and bulky so now it's just a jacket. And I don't usually bother with a bp unless I'm jumping in a competition or x-country, which I haven't done for ages.

Lovely pics Charliesangel.

This is for you Tomas. I am an older lady with permanently cold feet in winter, but not when riding. My first hack ever was a freezing day with snow on the ground. My feet froze and I was warned it was dangerous to dismount with very cold feet.
The lady at our saddlers told me to wear what most of their customers were wearing.
1. thermal socks (base layer). We have thermal long johns too.
2. Over them, good traditional thick wool socks. I have to hand wash them, but they are thick and warm.
3. Mountain horse winter weight lace up boots (bought big enough to go over the two pairs of socks). I dont have a winter catalogue around at the moment but mine look something like the classic and have a good thick lining up round the ankles.

Make sure your stirrups are big enough for your winter boots. I've worn this (instead of my posh long boots) whenever the temperature is below freezing and my feet are always warm.

Fantastic piccies! Really showed all the seasons.

Thanks for this thread. Made me realise that I really need to get on and sort out a new BP (my old one is from 2003 and doesn't fit me now). I always used to wear it, but have got lazy and not bothered this year.

Will get one sorted out this week.

Layers are definitely the way to go in colder weather.

Re. cold feet - I have some of those long Mountain Horse boots (the special winter ones). I have Fibromyalgia and low blood pressure, so get cold very easily, but with those boots on I always stay warm.

newrider.com