coming of the lunge

kelbe

Aug 1, 2008
Surrey
My daughter had a nasty fall last year which completely took away all her confidence. We have a new pony which she has been riding since January and is doing really well. She can do anything on the lunge from walk to canter and even a little jumping. However I can not seem to get her of the lunge. She just crys and gets very scared. Any ideas to help her? she is ok if i walk beside her but then the pony begins to get to dependent on me and when i walk away follows which in turn makes her scared to pull pony away. She is a really good little rider and enjoys it.

could she see someone else, of the same ability and age as herself, ride it without the lunge. It might inspire her and encourage her to try it herself?

yes she has done that but it didnt seem to work. Funny thing is if we are out on a hack i always let her off the lead when we are half way home and she is fine, she even trots off ahead without me. Also the other day she brought the pony in from the field by herself and when she got to the bottom of the lane she got herself on the pony bareback with just a headcollar and no one with her and rode her into the yard!!!!

Do you have a friend/family member/RI who could do it with her instead of you,I found with my daughter she responds totally differently with someone else,you could maybe hide around the corner and peep;).It probably won't take long just a lesson or two:D
Good luck :D

newrider.com