Common problems with irish drafts??

PeT dRaGoN

i love horses
Jul 14, 2006
Hiya is there any common problems that irish drafts may be prone too?
Bone & soft tissue wise.

Thanks

Not that I know of & I've had quite a bit to do with them over the years. Just remember that they take a long time to mature so look carefully at any young ones that have done a lot for their age & if you buy a young one be prepared to take your time.

From personal experience don't assume that a quiet 3 or 4 yo will stay that way, they can be a bit late going through their "Kevin" spell :eek:

This ones 8, and is 17.1hh. Hes hunted and show jumped, albeit not alot. Not been schooled either, so that would be a task!
Hes as quiet as a lamb.

Echo exactly what Carthorse says! I used to breed Irish Draughts a few years back and they are indeed very late to mature and seem to go through a very silly stage between the ages of approx 5 to 8 years old. You could buy a very quiet 3 year old, that doesn't bat an eyelid at tractors, but come 5 years old he could be the complete opposite! That's a generalisation of course, some don't go through a silly stage, but from my own experiences most do.

Also remember that the Irish Draught breed now has a lot of thoroughbred blood in it. The original Draughts were bred by Irish farmers to pull a plough, ride to hounds, do a full day's work, and still pull a trap to the pub in the evening and get said drunken farmer home again safely! :D That sensible strong placid quite small Draught is now very rare [we have one, but she's the exception to the rule] and with the introduction of more thoroughbred blood into the Draught lines they are becoming more of a sport horse.

They are also very very strong. The purebred ID geldings are solid muscle and immensely powerful and are often really a man's horse. Although they have great temperaments, they are not always quiet rides. The one you speak of sounds a nice lad though.

Last edited:
My mare's an ISH and has no major faults, she won't stand still to be mounted but is fine if someone is holding her.

Her feet are excellent and she's barefoot too so cheap to look after in that way. She's not silly or hot headed. Can be slightly moody when in season but she's on stroppy mare which sorts her out.

I bought her from a dealer who gets lots of horses from Ireland. She was VERY stiff and I've had to get the chiropractor out a bit to sort her out but she's fine now. She hadn't done any schooling as was used as a broodmare/hunter in Ireland. However I am schooling her now and find she's a very quick learner as she's very intelligent and picks things up well. She's also very honest. So I wouldn't worry about reschooling them :)

I think IDs/ISH are great horses - I love mine to bits :)

Opinionated?

I've got an ISH and she's the kindest, sweetest little mare that you could wish to meet but BOY is she opinionated. I've heard from others that this is quite stereotypical of IDs & IDx

I would agree that they're late maturing mentally. Saffy is JUST starting to settle down and she's 7! My friends was the same, he was almost 8 before he was anywhere approaching sensible.

Physically I don't know of anything that is linked to IDs, they seem to be quite good doers with very few major problems related to their breeding.

Bay Mare said:
Opinionated?

I've got an ISH and she's the kindest, sweetest little mare that you could wish to meet but BOY is she opinionated.

QUOTE]

I think my mare must have a twin sister!

Character and breeding

Its really interesting finding out what other breeds are like in general, they do seem to retain a certain character.
(I was thinking that maybe i should have looked a bit more at IDs when i was buying - so its sort of nice to hear they aren't perfect at everything!)

All bigger boned horses (including IDs) are vulnerable to osteochondrosis (I think its ossification of the bone at the joints, but best google for more details). Its virtually unheard of in TBs, you see it in warmbloods and more in ID, Clydesdale X etc.

Stella2 said:
All bigger boned horses (including IDs) are vulnerable to osteochondrosis (I think its ossification of the bone at the joints, but best google for more details). Its virtually unheard of in TBs, you see it in warmbloods and more in ID, Clydesdale X etc.
This is more what i was thinking of ... is it basically like a form of arthritis?
Guessing that a supplement like glucosamine/chondrotin (sp) would help to contain this problem?

Its often pretty serious and beyond supplements. Its the ossification of cartledge into bone. In young animals in large breeds high nutrition should be avoided!! as should vitamin suppliments!! as its all about rapid heavy bone growth being too much for the joints.

This link can answer some question http://www.recoveryeq.com/osteochondrosis_horses.htm

I wouldn't let this put you off large breeds though. Lots of us have them. Mine has sidebones (another ossification of the cartledge condition), but I wouldn't swop her. You can only avoid the risk of it altogether if you go for a TB.

newrider.com