Compulsory Microchips

Ah right
It came in for all animals born after 2009 (I think) had to be chipped with passport issue, but they allowed several years for the older ones to be done retrospectively and that's now kicking in.
Ah right thanks.
I remember when all horses had to have passports regardless of when they were born.

Isn't this just another money making system though? Are passports pointless if the house is chipped.
The chip is in my name, but I haven't ever got round to updating the passport info.

I'm clearly lucky to have very organised vets who think about their clients! Little Un had his chip done with his tet jab last year which meant no additional call out fee and was, I think, about £20/25 and they sent of all the paperwork too.

Reactions: Huggy
TBH I think the whole thing is a waste of time. The main aim is apparently to be able to identify horses that are dumped and the sort of people that dump horses aren't going to be bothered!

I think its very poor though that they haven't made it clear what needs to be done - the headlines just say horses need to be microchipped. Harvey is microchiped so I thought I was ok. They don't make it very clear that the microchip must be logged on the CED and futher action has to be taken if your horse is on a non UK passport

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh dear Ale has a Dutch passport, I've tried getting it changed but it's a nightmare as is all in Dutch. He is microchipped and I changed the registration details to me but that's it

Oh dear Ale has a Dutch passport, I've tried getting it changed but it's a nightmare as is all in Dutch. He is microchipped and I changed the registration details to me but that's it
You don't have to get his passport changed - you just send it to a UK passport issuer to be "overstamped". I've sent mine to the BHS - I have a pdf of the form needed but I can't see any way to attach it (I can send it on FB messenger if you want)

Reactions: MrA
You don't have to get his passport changed - you just send it to a UK passport issuer to be "overstamped". I've sent mine to the BHS - I have a pdf of the form needed but I can't see any way to attach it (I can send it on FB messenger if you want)
That sounds doable. I believe he isn't registered to me in the passport though, not sure if that matters. If you could that would be great thank you, appreciate it.

That sounds doable. I believe he isn't registered to me in the passport though, not sure if that matters. If you could that would be great thank you, appreciate it.
If it's a complete faf just get a replacement passport issued because you 'lost' the original, I had to do that for Hank (he'd never had one but it was after the time when they became mandatory) and it was easily done for 30 quid and back in 10 days.

Who is going to enforce this? My horse is chipped by I haven’t registered him on any database and his passport has never been officially changed into my name, I just wrote my details in. After 9 years of owning him and an extensive history of vet treatment, no one has ever mentioned it.
exactly!

The French agency want Euros 70 just to send me the change of address document which i applied for when i bought him then i have to pay for the re=registratoin in the UK!!!!!

• Angry
Reactions: GaryB
@diplomaticandtactful I'd just start again and apply for a new UK passport, it will almost certainly be cheaper and easier.
Not if I have to get a vet to re-do the images etc and check the chip. I have asked the BHS if his passport can be transferred as it is as I can then change the address on Digital Stable I think. Tintin has only left our premises once since 2007, in 2011 when he moved here with the rest of the gang.

Not if I have to get a vet to re-do the images etc and check the chip. I have asked the BHS if his passport can be transferred as it is as I can then change the address on Digital Stable I think. Tintin has only left our premises once since 2007, in 2011 when he moved here with the rest of the gang.

Fair enough, and I hope the BHS say it's ok to transfer as is. My vet had to redo the images on mine a couple of years ago - the yard dog literally shredded most of my passport, though thankfully the registration number and name was complete - and it was £70 (I think) to do and reissue vaccination pages, which was why I wondered if it would be cheaper to start from scratch.

I agree the whole passport thing feels ott when we have horses that don't go anywhere, plus they aren't even legal proof of ownership!

So what's the point of having a passport then, if we now have the chip?
I paid to transfer the chip into my name but she's not any database.

Fair enough, and I hope the BHS say it's ok to transfer as is. My vet had to redo the images on mine a couple of years ago - the yard dog literally shredded most of my passport, though thankfully the registration number and name was complete - and it was £70 (I think) to do and reissue vaccination pages, which was why I wondered if it would be cheaper to start from scratch.

I agree the whole passport thing feels ott when we have horses that don't go anywhere, plus they aren't even legal proof of ownership!
To be compliant they need to have the following:

UELN number

The page with the diagram and/or written description needs to be signed and stamped by a vet or other authorised signatory

The vaccination pages need to be bound within the passport

There needs to be a page which either signs the animal in or out of the food chain.

If any of these elements are missing then the passport is non compliant and you will have to apply for a replacement passport.

If either of the passports is not in your current name you will also need to apply for a change of ownership for that passport. The cost of a change of ownership is £15

Suze's is complete but french passports are stapled not bound but some of the UK ones are like that so hopefully she will be ok

newrider.com