Concerned about passports (and so should everyone be)

In addition to Lgd's full version of TSE

it is a family of diseases caused by an infective agent, called prion. Most mammals are suseptible to it i.e. BSE in cattle. Scrapie sheep, CJD in humans (as what lgd said). Prion can be transferred cross species but it is not in itself an infectious disease.

This is not applicable to horses at all as it is in the second part of the Animal Health Bill (2001). The first part deals mainly with Foot and mouth (FMD) and the second part is mainly to do with Scrapie in sheep.

This much I know from reading the stuff I have in front of me - I will fill in the horse info in about an hour!

Promise!

Nicola

OK everyone – here are the diseases that are on the bill to extend the powers of slaughter, also listed are the animals they affect and also main countries the diseases are found. You truly have nothing to worry about, even my mind is set at rest after the discussions I’ve had about this today. However, I will point out diseases listed as 1, 16, 17, 18 were already on the bill – the others listed are the amendments (additions) – the ones in bold type affect horses.

The last section mentioned shows, if your animal is in an area and affected or deemed a risk – your animal(s) can and will be slaughtered if it is necessary. It is ALREADY law.

As for the link to passports – it doesn’t matter if your horse has one or not – even new forest ponies, etc are covered by this law – so what difference does it make if they have some paperwork about it?

Here is the list:

1 Foot and Mouth
“Wild cloven hooved animals” cattle, sheep, pigs, goats. HORSES ARE RESISTANT TO FMD. Worldwide distribution, last UK outbreak 2001, last outbreak prior to this 1960.

2 Swine Vesticular Disease
Pigs only (eradicated in Britain)

3 Peste des petits ruminants
Sheep and Goats (Cattle are carriers) mainly countries like Ghana, Nigeria etc.

4 Lumpy Skin Disease
Cattle. Found in Africa.

5 Bluetongue
Sheep, Cattle, Goats, and wild ruminants (Mainly on African continent, North America, Asia and Europe)

6 African Horse Sickness
Equestrians, however antibodies have been detected in sheep, goats, dogs, and camels – Epidemic to the African Continent

7 Classical Swine Fever
Pigs and Hogs. Present in most of Europe

8 Newcastle Disease
Poultry and Birds. Last UK outbreak 1984 in pigeons.

9 Vesicular Stomatitis
Cattle, HORSES, Pigs sheep and goats. Only ever been confirmed cases in North and South America

10 Rinderpest
Cattle and European Pigs. Endemic to India and Africa, parts of Asia.

11 Contagious bovine pleuropneumonia
Cattle only. UK been free of disease since 1898, USA since 1892, Australia since 1973. Now present in Africa, parts of India, China and the middle East.

12 Rift Valley Fever
Sheep, cattle and Man. Countries such as Eygypt, Senegal, and Mauritania have had ‘recent’ outbreaks

13 Sheep Pox and Goat Pox
Affects sheep and goats. Found in South East Europe, Africa and Asia.

14 African Swine Fever
Pigs and Hogs. Present in most of Europe – last outbreak was before 1980.

15 Avian Influenza
Birds only. Worldwide distribution of cases.

16 Cattle Plague
Animal Health Act – says all animals affected with Cattle plague will be slaughtered, inclusive of any animal that has been housed / in the same herd as an infected animal and the slaughter of which deemed necessary to prevent spread of disease.

17 Pleuro-pneumonia
Any cattle suspected of being affected with pleuro-pneumonia will be slaughtered, inclusive of any animal that has been housed / in the same herd as an infected animal and the slaughter of which deemed necessary to prevent spread of disease.

18 Swine Fever
Any swine suspected of being affected with pleuro-pneumonia will be slaughtered, inclusive of any animal that has been housed / in the same herd as an infected animal and the slaughter of which deemed necessary to prevent spread of disease.

In reference to other diseases

In this section of the Act – all animals are included – inclusive horses. However this part of this bill has never changed. Had the relevant minister ordered horses slaughtered last year – this would have happened.

Basically the act already states that if the Minister, makes a direction that a disease is of a high enough concern – i.e. Foot and Mouth outbreak last year, the Minister can order the slaughter of any animal which is either,

1. affected with
2. suspected of being affected with
3. or has been exposed to the disease concerned.

If an animal is slaughtered under an order as such, compensation will be paid.

Regards

Nicola

PS - If you want details on any of these particular diseases let me know, I will say though - they are not for the faint hearted! They are rather descriptive.

**Please note this is all taken from copies of Animal Health Act 1981, The Animal Health Bill 2001. Diease information comes from The Merck Veteringary Manual (7th Edition).**

Thanks Nickie. Feel a lot more reassured now. Have to say I don't honestly see how passports will fulfill the roles they're supposed to, or how they can be enforced; but that was my big concern of the moment - thanks for all the effort you've put in!

HI Chev - some more information for you regards passports:

All EQUINES will need to have a passport / be registered by the end of December 2003.

If your horse is already registered – they will not need to be re-registered. However, you will need to contact your organisation and talk to them though so that they can issue you with a ULN (as below), which will effectively be your passport. (From what I can tell)

For Horses for recreational purposes – i.e. not for affiliated competing, not used for breeding, not travelling abroad and not going in to the human food chain. It has been suggested that there should be an alternative to passports – an ID Card. This is only under consideration at the moment, as there would need to be a change in primary legislation first which is difficult and takes a long time (apparently). Unless this is given the go ahead all horses will be required to have a passport.

The main point of having a passport is to prevent animals that have received certain vaccines being put in to the food chain and all information will be added to a National Equine Database (NED). This is the fundamental part of all the documentation I have read. The database will contain information in passports and also if the animal is being competed affiliated – their placements in competition, details of offspring and their results, again if competing affiliated. There will also be information on bloodlines.

The only people that will have access to the information stored on passports and the NED will be DEFRA and the Passport Issuing Organisations (PIO’s).

This is the information that the two documents are intended to hold that will be stored on the NED:

PASSPORTS

Unique Life Number (ULN) which gives access to the following information stored on CDSR (Central Disease Surveillance Register) Keepers name, address, telephone number, fax number, email address

Horse details:
Name, sex, colour
Identification and Silhouette
Date of foaling
Where Bred
Breed
Sire, Dam, dam’s Sire
Breeders’ name and address

Owners Details:
Name
Nationality
Address
Telephone, Fax number
Email address

Identification Check
Equine flu vaccination record
Other vaccinations record
Laboratory Health tests
Transportation basic health requirements
Endorsements
Medical Treatment and statement regarding the human food chain intentions
Any other requirement of the PIO, EU or DEFRA

Note:
After Dec 2003, it will be illegal to sell a horse without its passport or registration documents.

IDENTITY CARD

A statement by the owner that the animal is not intended for human consumption.
Microchip number
Unique Life Number (giving access to to the following information stored on CDSR (Central Disease Surveillance Register) Keepers name, address, telephone number, fax number, email address)
Details of issuing organisation and date of issue

This is the concept of where the two will be different, if both schemes are given the go ahead:

Is horse registered, or used for breeding, or meat production or travelling overseas?

If YES – passport

If NO – is the horse microchipped?

If NO – Passport

If YES – is the horse intended for the human food chain?

If YES – passport

If NO – Identity document.

I have a list of all the issuing organisations if anyone would like them – along with the contact details for most of them.

The cost of a passport will be between £10 and £30. BHS are starting to issue them from 1st September 2002 but it is advisable to contact an organisation as soon as possible. Also if e.g. you are on a livery yard – you are able to get discounts for applying in large numbers. Documents can be obtained from the BHS on 08701 202 244 just tell them the number of forms you require.

There is also a publication (I’m not sure how much is in legal speak though) called Horse Passport Order 1997: A guide to legal requirements. Which may be of some use.

Hope this helps. I've got quite a collection of documents on my desk now - and I am quite happy if anyone wants copies or details.

The main information source I have is the British Equestrian Federation (BEF), who produced a report in June 2002. In case any one wants more information or to obtain a copy from them it is called :

"An Implementation Plan Prepared for the Minister of Rural Affairs by the Equestrian Industry - Passports, Central Disease Surveillance Register and Natioanl Equine Database"

If anyone has any other questions regarding Passports, the Animal Health Act / Bill or any horse matter like this - please let me know. It appears that I am being given a fairly "free rein" (If you'll excuse the pun) to research this at work so if I can be of any use to anyone then just let me know!!

Nicola

Thanks for all that helpful info, Nickie. The thing I really want to know, is: isn't anyone organising any opposition to all this stuff, now that the BHS is in favour of it? I just think it's preposterous - all it needs is legislation that all drugs given have to be written in the vaccination and identification papers that most horses already have. I have four horses - two of them are retired ponies - so if I get passports for all of them, it'll cost me something like £100. Plus subscriptions to whatever organisations. And that's not counting the money on getting my daughter's mare registered with the BHD - down the drain - and the annual cost of registering the freezemarked ones. The only thing that would force me to do it is if the vet isn't allowed to treat horses without passports.

Anyway, what happens to horses where the breeding details aren't known? Just a s string of "unknown"s? How pointless is that!

isn't anyone organising any opposition to all this stuff, now that the BHS is in favour of it?
Why does it have to be opposed since the BHS are in favour of it?

I just think it's preposterous - all it needs is legislation that all drugs given have to be written in the vaccination and identification papers that most horses already have.
I quite agree, sadly I don't work in policy. :rolleyes: The ideas behind these schemes are good, and to make it uniform is wonderful. But yes it overlaps and charging to re-register them for a passport or ULN is rather unfair to the sensible people that joined them in the first instance. (If it was down to me I'd say have everyone who has ID papers should automatically get passports - but as I said - sadly I don't write the policies!) :rolleyes:

I have four horses - two of them are retired ponies - so if I get passports for all of them, it'll cost me something like £100. Plus subscriptions to whatever organisations. And that's not counting the money on getting my daughter's mare registered with the BHD - down the drain - and the annual cost of registering the freezemarked ones. The only thing that would force me to do it is if the vet isn't allowed to treat horses without passports.
I agree - it can be expensive if you have a number of horses - but if you apply for them all together - you can still receive a discount (I know that the BHS offer one for group registrations) maybe you could link up with others on a livery yard if you are not on one? Or the local riding school? RE: Freezemarks - I am guessing here but the Freezemark number goes on to a passport and the passport is for life - so I would presume you wouldn't need to pay an annual registration fee anymore. I will find out more for you on that! RE: Not treating horses without a passport - I can't see that this would happen. The RSPCA would probably still treat animals but the animal would get a passport from that date onwards, and be marked not for the food chain. I will also look in to this for you and give you all the info I find.

Anyway, what happens to horses where the breeding details aren't known? Just a s string of "unknown"s? How pointless is that!
Well - its more important what happens to the horse in its lifetime than who its parents are. I think the inclusion of dam and sire information is possibly to replace 'normal' papers (as it will be illegal to sell a horse without a passport after Dec 2003 also). Really the passport scheme is about putting together lots of little useful schemes in one big basket, unfortunatley I will agree it does seem to penalise the many sensible people who already joined the schemes.

I will see what more I can find out - I'm starting to get quite a collection of telephone numbers on this subject too now!

Will let you know what I find.

Nicola

.You have no right of appeal until after your animal is killed.

How can you appeal after your animal has been killed. What will they do resurect it, give you compensation (not much for a beloved animal) or just an apology? :mad:

www.pleasurehorsesociety.co.uk are offering complimetary passports to anyone who joins them for £20.If you are a Spillers Diamond member and have not yet recieved your newsletter they will be sending out with their next newsletter a special application form for you to join for £17 and you get a complimentary passport too.

newrider.com