Confession.....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Albi nips. He's sweet-natured and affectionate but he's been hand-fed a lot in his previous home which hasn't helped and if you are not paying attention he can nip you. Understandably, it puts me off turning my back on him so a couple of days ago I bought him a grazing muzzle to put on when I am handling his feet/grooming his feathers :eek: as he has no qualms about biting my bum! It's not ideal but today I used it for the first time and I have to say I'm bloody delighted! :biggrin: It was only him for about two minutes, just while I picked his feet up and out and it made SUCH a difference for me not to have to worry about what his head was doing that I was so much more positive and confident handling his feet and he responded likewise. I do reprimand him instantly if he nips but if I'm bent over picking out a hoof, I can't respond the second he tries so I'm taking away the temptation just for a couple of mins....

When I used to work with a nipper monster of a shetland I used to just tie her up tight, no more bruises! Grazing muzzle is a clever idea though, I'd never have thought of it! x

might try that myself, my lad likes to nip. Not that he's being nasty, but sometimes he really digs his teeth in (he always looks horrified when he does tho')

I used to pull Arnies whiskers if he nipped:eek:. It meant he got a bit of a nip without me having to actually shout or smack him. He only did it once or twice then he soon got the message;)

What a brilliant ideal:bounce:

Morse used to bite, I was covered in bruises and eventually tied an old
leadrope with knots tied along the length of it for him to 'teeth' on
and tbh it did work eventually once he realised he was 'allowed' to bite that:bounce:

newrider.com