Confidence in Schooling

DaisyAM

May 26, 2016
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and love all the comments on other peoples issues, really helpful. I am 46 and have owned my horse for nearly two years. I have ridden on and off at schools, holiday hacks etc. since I was 18 but have never owned before, however the opportunity came up and I decided to go for it. Having my horse has been the best decision, she is very good generally but can be nappy with the other horses and is quite sensitive in nature.
We've been mostly hacking for two years but moved a few months ago to a yard with a ménage. I've been dying to get her in there to do some schooling but the first time she tried to seriously buck me off after 15 minutes. The next time I only took her in for 10 minutes as I was worried it would happen again and haven't been in now for a few weeks. I keep planning on going back in but bottle it at the last minute. I even arranged for an instructor to come and give me a lesson but cancelled it an hour before as she was giddy at the beginning of a hack that morning and I was dreading the lesson. Has anyone got any tips about how to just bloody get on with it??!! x

I would never say to just get on with it unless you know your horse inside out.

What were you doing in the school before she started bucking? I ask this because hacking it pretty much straight lines, schooling no matter at what level involves a lot of bending. Have you had her saddle and back checked issues sometimes dont show up hacking.

But if you have had her checked out and you know there are no issues I would start with a walk trot in the lunge with out tack to see how she copes with the bending. Then with tack if no issues get back on and build up the time school really slowly to get your confidence up. Just do walk until she is settled for five mintues until you are both happy then build it up

Good luck and welcome

Hello, I’m a pretty new member too :)
We are currently trying out a new horse who also had not been in the school. The first few times we walked her around in hand, said hello to the dressage mirrors and jump equipment and let her get used to it before just doing a little bit of work in walk. We tried not to leave the perimeter at first, as my RI said that youngsters new to schooling can get a bit scared. Gradually we started riding shapes.
We didn’t go to trot until she was okay with it in walk. This morning daughter and me have both been schooling: me doing circles and shapes and transitions and she doing poles, both of us in trot and a bit of canter.
Hope this helps - to be honest I was also a bit eek about going into the school with an unknown horse! She seems to be okay now after 3 weeks of gradual introduction to schooling. Hacking out is another story though! I expect there will be someone along with more experience than me who may have more advice.

I would say don't set yourself too big of a goal, maybe start with hack out and walk 1 lap each way on your return, gradually build it up doing exercises that you know she can do easily...I say that because if you let her plod along on a long rein out hacking and then suddenly take her in the school and try to ride her in a contact on lots of circles her muscles will get very tired, very quickly which could be the cause of a tantrum ;)

If you are not very confident generally about schooling then getting a book to give you different exercises to try can be a good start, so you can go in with a plan, the horses seem to know the difference between aimless circles and a structured schooling session. I really like Cherry Hills book 101 Arena Exercises :)

Good point from @OwnedbyChanter there too, checking everything is ok physically before you increase workload is a good first step :)

Reactions: carthorse
Thanks all, love how the response is so quick!! She had a new saddle three months ago that was made to measure and her teeth have been checked. She's as good as gold (mainly) on hacks out but it's a good point about lolling around on a hack with a longish rein and then going into lesson mode with a contact, she was probably really brassed off! Plus another mare in the herd that follows her about was looking longingly over the hedge at her, whinnying 'come back into the field to play!!' which probably didn't help..........
I knew the horse before I bought her so know she was regularly schooled, but I have let schooling lapse without having access to a ménage before we moved (did try and do a bit out on hacks but more interested in cantering and galloping around TBH, so probably paying the price now for the big break :().
I think you're right about just going in for very short periods of time and building it up - I wouldn't appreciate doing a 10k run if I hadn't done any training for it so it's probably the same in her head x

I have a Shetland who can be ridden out on the Road by the grandchildren 100% safety in all traffic and a little gem, the minute he steps into a menage he grows horns and is the devil incarnate, my granddaughter spent 15 minutes the last time and most of those where spent on floor! got him out again she reluctantly got on and rode him back to the field and the horns disappeared. Tried many times, a lightweight rider used to showing small ponies from the school tried him, he didn't get her off but she got nothing from him and spent most of her time trying to get him going so there was no way my granddaughter was going to achieve it- needless to say he was intended to go first ridden showing but as this behaviour is replicated in the field as well then a show ring is a no no.

We have had different breeds over the years and all of them work/worked in the school, field or hacked out nicely - he is our very much loved exception....... he just loves hacking out and will go for miles.

We are currently schooling our new pony (Welsh C) totally different nature, compliant and very willing to learn - not had her in the school yet, but she hacks out and works in the field nicely so not expecting any issues, but its a case of taking it slowly and setting achievable goals each session, sometimes they are very small goals and simply linking something together, we have to borrow a school so we make a schooling area in the field, making sure its not in an area where she grazes, she was very unbalanced and green when we got her so its a case of patience and building her up , short sessions and making sure she is comfortable before we move on the next stage, you can incorporate some of the exercise to build her muscle up whilst hacking, we find this useful as straight line work is easier for her to build her muscle up and work from behind all increasing balance. circles, flexion and yielding are mostly done in short bursts In the field. We started her schooling off on the long rein, she was a little confused first time but after that she took to it brilliantly so moving on to ridden schooling was no problem - hopefully all the work we have done so far should help when we go to into the menage, although shes so laid back about most things not expecting any dramas.

I would just say be patient its probably just her way of saying she's not sure and 15 minutes for the first few sessions is about what we did with Gem, if they are not used to it then they tire easily and lose focus - shes now up to 30 minutes in the school only walk and trot, shes not balanced enough for us to ask her for canter work yet.

Not just me then!! I have a friend who is very experienced so am going to ask her to take her in the school too, so she can give me an opinion and see how she goes, will let you all know x

I would just lead the horse round or start with walking on the lunge line. Also perhaps some clicker training so that the horse find's it a nice rewarding experience.

Reactions: DaisyAM
We do just as @Taffie suggested with every new horse. ie day 1 lead to school and walk a lap on each rein in hand day 2 repeat under saddle then add trot round the track no attempt at contact then build up to 15 mins realwork as and when the horse seems confident and comfortable with the previous level of work.

Thanks eml, I'm probably guilty of trying to rush it (I'm not known for my patience). The main aim is to not have a repeat of the rodeo and to look forward to going in the menage.

Well my friend (who is a fantastic rider, works with horses and rides different ones all the time) did half an hour with her in the school and she was good as gold, no spooking or silliness. So I'm going to be brave this weekend and go in for 5-10 minutes and then start to build it up - wish me luck :D

Reactions: Jessey
Just an update for those of you kind enough to offer advice previously on this thread - I decided to get a very experienced friend to school her on two occasions for half an hour and she was good on the whole. I have since done a couple of sessions but just at 15 minutes long and she behaved herself. I sing for some of the time which helps on the nerves front, so feeling better about it all now. Thanks for all the advice x

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
newrider.com