Conformation Critique - Help Please?

simons-mum

Simon & Bob
Jan 30, 2008
Donegal, Eire
I went to see this little cob today. He's 15.1 and 14 yrs old. He seems a little stiff behind but owner thinks he got kicked in the field yesterday. Great as I am at taking pictures on my mobile :p i'm rubbish at judging conformation. so would appreciate your thoughts;)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

He is very short-backed and has been ridden in a 17 inch saddle for the last 10 years, it doesn't seem to go back further than his rib-cage tho, and of course he'd be vetted before i make my final decision!

High at the withers and like you say short backed also his backside needs building up, maybe slightly cow hocked and hocks pretty upright but not enough to put me off, abit over at the knee but could be the angle, his chest looks abit narrow & quite far over and this may mean hes abit heavy through the reins when ridden. sorry its sounds like im really critisising him but overall I do like the look of him hes nice and full through the girth, and his neck and bum would look fantastic once built up, he has afew flaws (but dont we all lol) If he passed the vetting and he suits you I wouldnt let his conformation put you off, on first glance hes already pleasing to look at and with the right work would look even better. Good luck let us know what happens! x

He looks a wee bit roach backed and straight through the hocks. He definitely looks uncomfortable and tense in his rear end which could indicate problems with his back or hips. His front feet are turned out a little and his front legs are a little further under him than they could be.
Nothing too terrible. :) What is he like? Did you get along with him?

He looks a wee bit roach backed and straight through the hocks. He definitely looks uncomfortable and tense in his rear end which could indicate problems with his back or hips. His front feet are turned out a little and his front legs are a little further under him than they could be.
Nothing too terrible. :) What is he like? Did you get along with him?

He's a complete star to ride, exactly what I'm looking for, would have preferred him a little younger and am concerned how he'd cope with moving having lived in the same place for the last 10 years with one owner :confused:

I would take the old "kicked in the field excuse" with a large pinch of salt! His hocks are very straight and the stiffness may be as a result of wear and tear on them. If you are having a vetting though, fine! ;)

I'm no expert on confirmation, but my immediate thought was he is very upright through his hocks/stifles no angulation there. I notice this as my Charlie is the same and suffers from locking stifles (i'm not saying this cob will have the same problem but it's just something I notice). It's not stopped my Charlie from doing anything and as long as you get him vetted, it'll be fine. x

newrider.com