Conformation

Kaz

Nov 9, 1999
Bedfordshire, England
Visit site
Hi!
The horse I look after has pretty bad conformation. The owner has said 'she has poor conformation for continuous jumping'. Last year we went to a little show and she said I could do a small showjumping class with her (i didn't in the end though!)

Anyway my question is: Is her conformation that bad that she cant jump? I mean it is pretty bad ie cow hocks that wobble when she moves! she dishes and her feet are not good in that most of the wieght goes down one side (forgoted which side!) She brushes in front and behind and she over reaches. She has a very straight shoulder aswell. I mean I don't want to be jumping 5' fences or anything just the odd 2', 2'9" round maybe, not much.

How bad does a horses conformation have to be for it to be not able to jump?

Also, we tried troting poles with her to try and get her to stretch her stride out but she just trod on them all even when they were the correct distance for her natural stride. It was a good job they were only carpet tubes otherwise I don't know what she would have done to herself!!

I don't really mind it if she can't jump because I love her anyway but it would be fun and something different for us to do.

Anyway thanks for any help
Karen

P.S. I meant that her weight goes down one side of her foot. ie the inside or outside. i think it is the outside...

[Edited by Kaz on 3rd Apr 2001 at 10:12 PM]

Conformation is very important when you get into the specific disciplines of riding. Soem horses, of rinstance, do not have conformation that is conducive to jumping. It sounds as though that is the case with your horse. You said that most of her wieght is concentrated on one side- that would be a problem with jumping- it would throw her off balance. Not having seen the horse, it is hard to say exactly.

Some horses just don't do well jumping, either, regardless of conformation. It sounds like this also might apply to your horse. I would say that an occassional jump isn't a big deal, but don't push her. She might not feel comfortable jumping, and asking her to will only aggravate her unnecessarily. Stick to the other aspects of riding- there are so many! Work on basic dressage movements, barrel racing, gymkhana activities, or stuff like that. And like I said, probably an occassional jump won't really hurt,just keep them small and be patient. The most important thing is to have fun. :)

Horse Conformation

Hi Kaz!

I think it's the straight shoulders that are the problem. If I am not mistaken, most of the weight of the horse is normally carried on the front end (60/40%?). Also, that is where the weight lands when jumping.

The straight shoulders could also be causing the brushing the problem as the rear legs seem more capable of reach than the fore. A joint can only rotate so far, if there isn't a nice layback to the shoulder, the leg cannot extend much further than the joint will allow which is pretty close to a straight line. To see what I mean, bend/raise your arm to a 90 degree angle - now reach back/lower the arm (without moving your shoulder) and see how far it will travel. Now start with your forearm lower and see how far it will travel - a shorter distance than in the first case. This is a more choppy motion. Does this horse have rough gaits, particularly the trot when weight should be balanced 50/50?

Personally I wouldn't ask any animal to do more than he is physically capable of doing. However, you may be able to help him develop flexibility and strength. Dressage training for collection might also help shift his weight to his back end - you will have to see how cow hocks affect this. Since this is not your horse, can you try to find one who can meet your goals? I would hate to see both you and the horse getting frustrated.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

~ KE

Morality Story- Read

I heard this story, and it relates to the subject a bit. It's actually true, and I heard it on a horse show.

"There once was a race horse a long time ago in the USA, that was permanently lame (I forget why), but practicly everyone gave up on it. They said it couldn't race, blah, blah, blah, etc. He was going to be sent to the slaughterhouse, except, his owner and a jockey believed in him that he could do it. And it turns out he WAS a good race horse. He was lame walking, but when he ran, he ran perfect with no signs up pain or lameness, yet he was still lame when he walked. He ran FAST, too! Well, he raced and ended up being a Triple Crown Winner (for a few years, I think.) And was voted the best race horse of the year, and got all kinds of reconizations! All this, because they didn't give up hope! I forget his name, but THIS IS A TRUE STORY!"

Moral- Even if a horse is bad at one thing, doesn't mean he can't be a shining star in another! Don't give up hope or faith in him!

Maci :)

Lame Triple Crown Winner?

I'd love to know the name of that Thoroughbred!

Triple Crown is a series of three races - The Preakness, The Kentucky Derby, and The Belmont (a little fuzzy on the last race, I know it is held at Belmont Park) - VERY few horses have the honor of being a Triple Crown winner as they must win all three races in a row - same year - it's a one shot deal.

I wouldn't advocate giving up on a horse either - don't quit too soon, on the other hand, there's no point banging your head against a brick wall. If you have your heart set on show jumping it is cruel to force a horse who can't to do it anyway just to satisfy a human's needs. My opinion only - no insults intended.

~ KE

[Edited by k9 Equine on 4th Apr 2001 at 09:46 PM]

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your opinions.

If I did jump her it would only be in a few classes in the local show and maybe a few beforehand to sort of prepare her! I don't have any transport so I can't go to many more shows. The only reason I can get to this one is because it is close enough to hack.

Anyway I really don't mind if she can't jump, because I think she is gorgeous anyway and I don't care about her abilities because I love her for what she is. (unlike someone I know...)

For some photos of her you can go to my homepage and click on Karens photos. You can't really see her conformation that clearly but it might give you a general idea. She is the chestnut one.

http://timparsons.topcities.com

We did try gymkhana games for a laugh last year but got disqualified in the bending race for not bending round the poles!!!

I don't think she minds jumping, it's just that I was wondering if her conformation is really that bad.

She had just gone over a 'jump' (if you can call it a jump!!)in that rather bright photo in the woods.

Anyway thanks for all the help!
Karen

Its what's inside the horse that counts not what the outside is capable of!!

P.S.!! That is NOT! blood pouring out of her mouth in that photo!!!

maci-

great story, but I just have to say that there has been no horse who has been a Triple Crown winner more than once. No horse can be in the Triple Crown races(Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky; Preakness Stakes at Pimiloco racetrack in Maryland; and Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park in New York) more than once in their life- it's impossible because it's only for 3 year olds. There have been only 11 horses ever to win since 1919.

I am not sure which horse you are referring to- it doesn't xound familiar and I am a big fan of horseracing, especially the Triple Crown. Are you sure that he wasn't just a racehorse in general?

In spite of that, it is a great story and does go to show that you just never know unless you givea horse a chance to prove their worth. they just might surprise you. :)

Kaz And k9 Equine

k9 Equine- He was lame when he walked, but when he ran, he ran FAST with no limp or pain! It was great to see old footage of his races! If I ever see that episode again and get his name, I'll post it! It's true! The Triple Crown IS an honour to get!

Kaz- You horse is cute! He reminds me of mine! (same colour, same features, etc.) but of course, there are differences I can see (height, conformation, etc.)

horselover- I'm pretty sure it was a TC winner, or it might have been just a racehorse that made lots of money and his story is motavational. ?

Maci :)

'Nough said

If you're happy together then that's all that matters.

As I am not a conformation judge (and your pictures are a little fuzzy :)) I can't tell you about your horse's conformation, only what I know from the dynamics of movement --- the old "form follows function" thing.

Good luck at your show!

~ KE

Actually, I dont think the comformation really matters that much. If she can jump comfortably and does it willingly, shoot. But if she cant get over trot poles you might have a problem...

Oh ya, this TC thing. They can only win it once in their lives if they do at all. I really would like to know the name of it too. Most TC winners end up horse of the year, so there I wouldnt be surprised. Affirmed, Secretariat, Sir Barton, Gallant Fox, Omaha, War Admiral, Whirlaway, Count Fleet, Assault, Citation, Seattle Slew ring a bell? those are all the TC winners

[Edited by Somethingroyal on 7th Apr 2001 at 06:09 AM]

I would say that if the confirmation is that bad then the horse would probably find it difficult to balance when moving - obviously when showjumping balance is paramount so this may be why the owner doesn't want her to be used for 'continuous jumping'.

How old is the horse? If she's young enough then sometimes dishing and cow hocks can be corrected by corrective shoeing. Or it may improve as she gets older.

But in spite of the conformation this shouldn't really prevent you jumping her occasionally as long as you keep them low and keep her steady so she is less likely to lose balance. If you and her are enjoying it then she should be fine!

:)

Fiona

newrider.com