Confused about Inside leg/outside rein - help please

Ditz - somehow I KNEW someone was going to say something about rising diagonals.... ;)

You do need to bear in mind that there are two schools of thought on WHICH diagonal you should rise on to help the horse most. And as there are two diagonals you could choose - that means that both options are seen - somewhere - as being "right" :rolleyes:

You are right that when you are in "sit" mode, it is easier for the rider to apply the aid. But ongo247's point applies if you are in sitting trot as well (as does Mark R's point).

I was just about to reply that this is a 2 year old thread ongo247!

A bit of a trip down memory lane too as this was my old horse!!:D

BUT, whist you are brining it up I do have another (probably blonde) query re inide/outside rubbish.

That is - when jumping I'm being taught to turn the corner with open inside hand and outside leg.

I just do as I'm told but it does fly in the face of this inside leg outside hand theory doesnt it??:confused:

i would maintain my way of riding whether jumping or schooling, 'steering' a horse round a corner to a jump, sometimes at a helluva speed, creates a 'motorbike' effect, which is fine over smaller jumps, but a balanced rythmic canter will mean that your horse can turn and still be in balance and together enough to pop over the next jump from a few strides out, i have been in many jumps off with ponies and horse that go much faster than me speedwise, but they end up taking longer with wider turns and knock downs because they are on their forehand, collapsed at the shoulder and find up hard to pick themselves up again to clear a larger fence i.e 3' +.

newrider.com