Confused on what to do , problems tacking up mare

Mousedapony

Sep 25, 2021
I have a 14.3 21 year old Riding pony mare as my main riding horse. I have had her for a few years and these behaviour problems have been here for a few years.. I was listening to my long gone 'trainer' who didn't seem to think anything of it. I feel horrible for only addressing these issues now, but I can't go back in time. I guess being so long, I can't tell if it's habit or not.
- Bites when bridling
She's always gone to bite me when I put her bridle on. Sometimes she just bites the air, other times it's directed at me. Most often happens when I have the bridle in my hand I have just taken her halter off, putting the bridle on her face, and then doing up the throatlatch. Pins her ears too. It has gotten better since I started using a bitless bridle, but it's still there.
- Girthy
Typical pins ears and swishes tail, sometimes bites the air when I'm doing up her girth. I'm quite sure previously her girth was too tight, no elastic (recently changed to half elastic) and could hardly fit two fingers. She's gotten a lot better with the elastic, I also did some massaging and stretches yesterday with her which has seemed to help her a lot. But sometimes she still pins her ears a little. I think the saddle fits good, but that hasn't been confirmed by a fitter. It was the saddle I bought with her from previous owners, who said nothing about being fit by a saddle fitter. I take the padding on her back very seriously, and have a pressure/gel combination pad that is just thick enough that it shouldn't affect saddle fit.
- Sore neck & chest
When I am grooming her, I can't curry comb her neck or chest, she pins her ears and bites the air. Sometimes it can just be me touching those areas and she gets upset. No problem with the dandy brush. I only use the curry comb softly, so I don't think I'm brushing too hard. I have tried very gentle massaging in those areas but no matter the pressure she still pins her ears, so I stop. It's worse on one side of the neck than the other, but the whole front of chest is sore too.
I'm not sure if all these issues are connected or not or what I should do to try solve them. Any advice appreciated.

When was the last time her teeth and back were checked? This sounds like a physical issue, if they have been done then a vet would be my next stop. And the saddle needs checking by someone skilled, they should be checked every six months and reflocked every 2 years to ensure it doesn’t get lumpy or hard bits in it, no amount of padding compensates for that.

Re a half elastic girth, do you mean elasticated at one end? That’s not ideal, it should be neither, or both or in the middle. Being at one end put uneven pressure on.

You said at the end there if she pins her ears you immediately stop, it sounds like she’s got you pretty well trained there 😉 some horses are just sensitive in some areas, but perhaps see if you can get a body worker to help her loosen off those muscles.

When was the last time her teeth and back were checked? This sounds like a physical issue, if they have been done then a vet would be my next stop. And the saddle needs checking by someone skilled, they should be checked every six months and reflocked every 2 years to ensure it doesn’t get lumpy or hard bits in it, no amount of padding compensates for that.

Re a half elastic girth, do you mean elasticated at one end? That’s not ideal, it should be neither, or both or in the middle. Being at one end put uneven pressure on.

You said at the end there if she pins her ears you immediately stop, it sounds like she’s got you pretty well trained there 😉 some horses are just sensitive in some areas, but perhaps see if you can get a body worker to help her loosen off those muscles.
She's a little overdue on teeth, we just contacted the dentist recently so she should have teeth done pretty soon. I'm not sure how long until back was checked, I need to ask prev owners. I agree it sounds physical. I'll get the saddle done too.
Yes elastic at one end. I didn't know that, it makes sense though. I'll look into a new girth.
Yes, I'm guilty of being trained 😅 I don't stop with the brushing though, only massaging. I attended a couple workshops where I was taught about massage, which the teachers advice was if they didn't like it to stop.

She sounds like she is screaming at you to notice her pain. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh, but she needs to be checked by professionals and given a full MOT. If she were mine I wouldn’t ride her until her teeth had been checked, her saddle had been properly fitted and she had seen a good physio who could trot her up and make sure she was comfortable. If this didn’t help I would call the vet with the view of getting her scoped for ulcers. There is a chance that her behaviour may not be pain related, but surely the priority here is to find that out.

Although I agree with Mary Poppins about the checking of physical issues, this is a 21 year old horse and older horses like the mare I shared may have places where they are sore or sensitive, due to age and which are not on a level to require a vet nor treatment. My share mare was sensitive down the left side of her neck. so I used my fingers first and then a gentle brush. I have a soft American style rubber curry and would never use a UK one.
And she didnt like being bridled too quickly, like the staff did it, but would help me along with the process, simply because I am old and slow.

Apart from age, there may be remembered pain. My current ride does not like having her tail groomed, and (I havent seen this but was warned) may kick. I reckon that is because her tail gets clogged with her droppings which then dry on overnight. A damp sponge will remove the obstruction and one can brush her tail out easily then without her complaining. She has never tried to kick me.

Last edited:
When mine had ulcers he wasn’t twitchy round his girth. It was between his front legs and upwards and the left side of his neck. When they came back the first sign was him resenting being touched or groomed on the left had side of neck. We have no idea why, the vet has no idea why. The chest area could be as a result of the lung infection. The neck we were starting to wonder about pill issues. Ulcers treated again and happy to be touched again.

Just cos she is 21 dosnt mean it is ok to be sore.

Reactions: Jessey
I'm another who would want teeth, back and saddle checked. Some of it may be she's just being "mareish" and needs teaching to mind her manners, but I'd be unwilling to go down that route without getting everything checked out first. If it was new behaviour I'd wonder if she was starting to feel her age and needed to slow down a bit and maybe have a bit of bute to keep her comfortable, but it sounds like it's a longer term issue.

newrider.com