Connemara's - how much weight can they carry ?

welshies usually seem more like weight carriers/chunkier.

I've seen some quite fine connemaras.... my boy is a pure connie and isn't as big build as a sec. D! He could carry a reasonable amount but not as much as a welsh section D.

My connie is 14.1 and not a particular weight carrier, he is a much finer build than a Sec D and would be able to carry much less.

Connies carry me and mum easily - mum is 11 stone and I am 10 stone and my friend at uni who was 13 stone and 6ft had a 14.2hh connie!

Connies do seem to be coming up finer and I for one wouldn't be happy on one but would be happy on a fit sec d.

Lets just say that the 11 stone examples posted on this thread would be no trial to many natives not renowned for their weightcarrying abilities.

I was riding my old loan mare, a 13.3hh fine connie mare, at my heaviest weight of 10 stone 7. She was fine, wouldn't like to put any more weight on her but they are still good weight carriers compared to non-natives.

My connie is 15hh and comfortably carries OH who is 12 stone ish - the vet said he would be absolutely fine on her and she jumps and schools with him on board and never shows signs of flagging or slowing down!

A well bred connie should be a good weight carrier. They were used to carry full grown men in Ireland afterall! My boy could easily carry about 14 stone for hacking and smaller jumping. The spindy little modern ones couldnt carry much, but a proper old fashioned one can. But it would depend on the height of the horse as well i suppose...

No idea if they could carry more of less than sec d though!

A well bred connie should be a good weight carrier. They were used to carry full grown men in Ireland afterall! My boy could easily carry about 14 stone for hacking and smaller jumping. The spindy little modern ones couldnt carry much, but a proper old fashioned one can. But it would depend on the height of the horse as well i suppose...

Jessica is right about there being two "types" on Connie these days. The solid old fashioned "working" connemara is very strong and can easily carry an adult. They were bred as multipurpose ponies and had to be able to cope with driving duties, farm duties, pack weights and riders as called for. You'll find the best ones still bred on the wild hills in the west of Ireland. They upto 14.2 max and are seriously stocky and strong!

The "showing/sports" type is lighter and more refined in it's body and build and will carry less I should think.

Depends which type you are talking about,

I think mine is definitely the weight carrying variety! lol, she certainly ain't spindly.....she has the constitution and weight carrying ability of an elephant.........

newrider.com