Considering a sharer?

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Now we have moved yards to somewhere with some facilities, Im contemplating getting a sharer for Belle, one because my poor OH hardly sees me, but also because Belle needs the work and I having been a sharer would like to offer the chance to someone else.
This is only a little idea bubbling about in the back of my mind right now but am wondering if it could work and if anyone would be interested in a plod who has a bit of an attitude now and again but is very very loveable. I always imagine most folk want something that will school nicely and/or gallop about, not a lazy, unschooled but completely safe hack.
Also my OH says it wont work as I'm far too anal about her to let someone else care for her don't know why he thinks that but he may have a point.
Who on here shares their beloved horses? Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Around here, a safe hack is what most sharers want (as most are people too short on time to have their own horse so just want something they can jump on and ride a couple of times a week), and Belle sounds like a lovely horse, so I reckon you'll find someone easily.

When I was looking for a sharer I had an older lady come out to try Rubic. She was retired and just looking for a sane horse to hack once or twice a week and only wanted to use the school to get to know the horse initially. Would have been perfect of me really but unfortunately she felt it was too far to travel once she'd done the journey there and back.

Echo Suidsin and EML... Loads of people, especially mature or returning riders would welcome a steady and safe hack. There are plenty of potential sharers who actually DON'T want to hare around the place jumping or wanting a feisty ride. Most are competent people who are more risk averse than your average young rider, but still well capable of handling the occasional quirk if it's just a case of being firm but fair. (I am just such a person at 54 with 45 years off and on riding experience.)

So many potential share offerers these days only want someone to school or improve their tricky/immature/unbacked/strong horse, and to pay towards their owning costs as they "don't have enough time".

Certainly worth considering. You may be surprised, and it could benefit you and Belle both.

So many potential share offerers these days only want someone to school or improve their tricky/immature/unbacked/strong horse, and to pay towards their owning costs as they "don't have enough time".

Gosh, this is true. A lot of people looking for sharers are only looking because they need to share the responsibility of a difficult horse! A friend with a green and opinionated 5 year old springs to mind - really, she needs to pay someone to school him but she can't afford that so keeps trying to find sharers, they last a couple of weeks, then give up as it's no fun riding a green horse if you can only ride a couple of times a week. You just want to jump on and have fun, not worry about being galloped off with or lunging first or whatever.

newrider.com