Considering an arab?

Pigletsmum

Oct 4, 2008
To all you lovely arab owners out there.......

would you recommend them for a first time owner?
what age would you suggest considering?
what is a reasonable price?
where would you look?

I'm after a horse 14.2 hh + ideally for a bit of everything and to have fun with.

Nic x

My first horse was an Arab and she was awesome, around 14.2 chestnut mare. What a star she was I trusted her with my life. Yes she could be a hand full but never dangerous just excited. kind of bounced on the spot! :D

They are a wounderful breed I can't advise on cost as it was a long time ago!!! All the best

sorry forgot around 12 years old as they have settled by then (should)

Look carefully. Find YOUR arab, yes there is one that will be for you, and steer clear of anything show bred.

thanks Louki.....but how do you know when a horse is the right one?:confused: I've seen some lovely looking 4 yr olds advertised but not alot of older horses.

Nicola, you'll know, trust me. When you find YOUR arab, it smacks you in the face so hard its as if you got an electric shock. They say an Arab chooses you, not tother way abouts. Just dont even look at anything bred for showing, that isnt arab, thats overbred for looks at the cost of everything an arab is about.

Look for breeders of the old fashioned good solid, hardy polish & egyptian lines. Those lines will take you anywhere you want to go.

I've got an arab, and he was my first horse :) As long as you get one with a good temperament/suitable for your abilities and who you get on with (as with any horse!) then there's no reason not to get one as a first horse!

Age, depends on the individual horse really, I got mine as a rising 5 year old (egyptian lines) who had just been backed & needed bringing on, and although we've had lots of ups & downs, I'm glad I did it like that as we've bonded loads from going through so much :)

Mine was £1800 but I'm awful at pricing horses, I guess it depends how much you're willing to pay as to what is reasonable :) I found him on horsemart.

This is my boy:
picture.php

Rokx, did you have lots of experience with younger horses before you got your boy? (he's gorgeous BTW)

I used to work at a stables and helped bringing on some of the youngsters so I had some :) Not masses though!

hmmmm to be honest I'm not sure how I would class my riding ability at the mo - I used to be confident, I'm still adequately competent I think but it varies depending on the horse.

My instructor thinks I should consider a younger horse who had just learnt the basics which is interesting.....

Arabs, if you get them as a youngster, are funny, they poses the ability to zone into you, if your having a down or slow day, you get a relaxed enjoyable ride, if your having a super confident day, you'll get more energy from them. Find the right one, and you've got a horse that will look after you. They also know when you need to be brought out of your comfort zone & pushed just that little bit.

Cheers Louki I really appreciate it.....:)
Does anyone here do much jumping with theirs? I'm not looking to do anything big or complicated...perhaps the odd clear round class at a local show etc and would love to have a wee dabble at basic x-country jumps. My instructor is convinced they make rubbuish jumpers (;) she's not an arab person lol)

I used to jump my purebred (my first horse) but had to retire her from jumping and I now jump my qh x arab and she is in an amazing jumper!

If you do want to get a younger horse make sure you have someone who will help you. Everything you do on a younger horse makes an impact on what they are like. When I got Ettie she was 4 - i've never had a youngster and have to say I did find it difficult...but I found a RI and she's helped me work with Ettie but it has been expensive!

As Louki said arabs tend to choose you. If you go view a horse and you may like it but it doesn't click then probably not the horse for you. When looking for Ettie I saw several purebreds and although they were all lovely horses I was unsure....when I went to go see Ettie (I wasn't particularly looking for a pba) I fell in love even though she ticked less boxes than the other horses.

I personally would not look for anything under 6 for a first horse but arabs are (despite alot of people's opinions) are good first horses. My girls now instantly if they have a novice on there back and behave, when I get on they know that I can cope. lol

In the current market I would think a decent rideable arab would be £2000 - £2500.

Good luck in your search

To all you lovely arab owners out there.......

would you recommend them for a first time owner?
what age would you suggest considering?
what is a reasonable price?
where would you look?

I'm after a horse 14.2 hh + ideally for a bit of everything and to have fun with.

Nic x

I would def recommend an arab as a first horse! As has already been pointed out they choose you!

My first proper loan was Ali, who was half polish and when i started riding her she was very green. She was fun but safe and had an incredible jump. She was 14.2hh, and a real tomboy!
Alijump.jpg

131.jpg

Then there was Dancer an anglo arab who was also 14.2hh. She had done competitive endurance and made it to the top - not with me! I had mainly hacked her and she loved popping logs in the woods but thats all i really done with her. She was a very sweet laid back mare - nothing phased her but she loved to do obvious spooks (you could see them coming!!)
Dancer7.jpg

114.jpg

Now im owned by Indie who i adore. He is 15hh and from crabbet and egyptian lines. His motto is 'Life is fun and meant for living' everything he does he loves! He has the boldest jump, the fastest gallop and the deepest nicker ive ever heard!! He is as safe as can be, tractors with hay balers, hgv's, pair of heavy horses being driven coming towards us, no problem but a squirrel in the hedge or a new painted line on the road will have eyes on stalks or a spook, although not when cars are about!! Hes a funny boy but very sensitive and my best friend
S5031983.jpg

S5031717.jpg

In his winter woolies!
S5032287.jpg

Sorry have over indulged a little!!:eek::D Good luck in your search if you do opt for an arab :D

newrider.com