Considering going barefoot

When I bought Frayne last September she had been 'barefoot' all her life - she is now 8. To start with she was fine, but increasingly footy on our stony roads/tracks as I started to ride her more. In February I gave in and got her shod on fronts only, which helped immediately - and then in April she had her rear feet shod as well (they weren't growing enough and were starting to chip on edges, plus she was almost refusing to walk on hard ground). All great - she goes very well in shoes, hasn't struggled with our steep slippery lanes and loves the noise she can make :D However, she HATES being shod - and now the farrier can only do 2 feet at a time, which takes ages and means her having to be tied to a metal post in the yard, whilst I feed her/hang on to the end of the rope :eek: She is now scared of that particular corner - is very reluctant to be stand there to be groomed/tacked up - her back legs were shaking with fear the last time the farrier was here. I have been dreading his next visit (when he needs to tackle the rear feet - which she is even worse with :eek:) and was even considering asking the vet about sedation. However, common sense has kicked in and I think it is worthwhile taking the shoes off and trying barefoot properly (ie using boots where necessary). I don't want her to be terrified every 6-8 weeks, and our farrier is becoming increasingly inpatient with her (he slapped her last time :mad:). I have found an EP who trims in our area - going to ring her next week to make an appointment. Any more advice/links on the next step of our journey together? She has fantastic feet - typical of an Exxie - hard, but her hind feet in particular don't grow much. She also doesn't seem to have much of a frog. She goes out in the field for a few hours each day and is then in a barn/yard with concrete flooring. I ride out on roads/tracks/grass - lots of stone chips, which she hated before shoeing. I will need boots that are easy to fit (I have arthritis and she can be difficult with her hind feet) and suit her short pony legs.

Ali xx

newrider.com