Considering removing back shoes?!

JMR77

Aug 26, 2015
So now I've finally purchased Moe and everything going really well I'm facing my 1st really important decision. Moe is currently shod all round but I'm seriously considering taking back shoes off and just having fronts on (this is what my Welsh has). I've done lots of reading around it but wud like opinions, advice. Moe's back hooves seem to grow at a rapid rate and cud need doing aroind every 4 weeks....but his fronts are lasting 6+ weeks! So ur prob thinking why take shoes off....well in all honesty I can not sustain having to have him shod every 4 weeks (obvs is taking shoes off not an option then I'll have too, its whats evers best for him) and as we're only currently doing light hacking, schooling and some very very low level jumping I'm not wearing his shoes out either. I've been in touch with my farrier who is coming out end of the week hopefully and will be discussing the options with him fully.

Has anyone else done this? How did u find it? Did u need to change diet to improve hoof quality? Were u able to continue riding when they were removed or did they need weeks/months to get used to having shoes off? Did u have any issues with balance etc?

Sorry lots of questions but I believe knowledge is the key so I want to have as much info as possible.

I'd leave making any decision until I knew him better, t this stage I wouldn't want sore feet to limit what I was doing while we were still learning about each other. In a few months, if your farrier thinks his feet will cope, then I'd maybe give it a go.

Reactions: JMR77
Toffee has 4 shoes because he gets terribly foot sore with all the roadwork we do. I considered taking his backs off in winter but if anything, we hacked more in winter and more on the roads so I didn't. I'm still undecided and may take his backs off this winter. I'm undecided yet so interested to see people's thoughts on this.

It is a long time since I rode a horse with hind shoes. I didnt know that shoes protected the pads. Our hacking is off road but there are horses who make it plain that they would rather use the verge than the hard gritty sand track.. Depends on the weather and how hard the ground is. And is often attributed to cheeky ponies. So I would agree get to know the horse first. I am soft hearted and last hack was allowed to pick a route and chose one that was soft underfoot. If a horse has sore feeet the hacking yard rest him. But they dont add hind shoes. Not on the ones I groom or ride anyway.

I'd wait and ask your farrier for his/her opinion. Lots of horses cope more easily with shoes on fronts only and you may find he's fine, however, even without shoes if he's growing that much hoof you'll probably still need the farrier every four weeks to check balance etc. I didn't realise horses hooves grew at different rates between back and front either, but you learn something every day.
If you do decide to take them off, he may well be uncomfy for a short while until his feet get used to how they feel without shoes, he may be fine or he may not and the only way you'll know is if you try.

Reactions: Trewsers and JMR77
My connie isn't shod behind only in front, I took them off not long after having him. Carried on riding as normal he was never footsore. He's got really good solid little feet. We do everything without a problem, compete up to 1.10, xc, hacking, fun rides. Now's a good time to try while the grounds still a bit soft. Ask your farrier and see what he thinks. You can always put them back on.

Reactions: Trewsers and JMR77
My connie isn't shod behind only in front, I took them off not long after having him. Carried on riding as normal he was never footsore. He's got really good solid little feet. We do everything without a problem, compete up to 1.10, xc, hacking, fun rides. Now's a good time to try while the grounds still a bit soft. Ask your farrier and see what he thinks. You can always put them back on.

Farrier and vet have both said he's got good hooves so hopefully there won't be a problem but i definitely won't be doing anything without the advice of my farrier....i'm not gonna put my boy in a position where i cause him any issues or soreness. I understand it'll take time for him to get used to it if they do come off and if we remove them and he has issues i will re-shoe him straight away.

Reactions: Lissie
My cob is barefoot however has hoof boots for work on stoney ground and I use studs with his hoof boots too for jumping on slippy ground. A lot of horses can manage barefoot, especially if you don't do loads of roadwork so I wouldn't have and qualms about taking just back shoes off. x

If you do lots of roadwork they will wear quicker. I would avoid stoney tracks for a while once off as his feet will bruise easier on the stones until they harden. Grass and roadwork should be fine.

newrider.com