Coolers

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
New Spotty Cob is clipped out, and very sweaty, so I feel maybe a cooler is what I need to put on after washing him down. I've never had a clipped horse before: there seems to be a huge range of price - does anyone use a cooler that they particularly like?

A cooler is always a good idea, practically a must, for the chilly weather. Really any cooler would work. You need the cooler to soak up the sweat and keep hime from getting chilled. Use towels to rub him down to help speed the process.
Watch for sales and don't get caught up with name brands. He'll won't be turned out in it, so he can't destroy it etc.

Thanks for the advice, olympic princess. Do you think the old-fashioned "string vest" kind with the holes in are as good as the new ones?

If you use the old fashioned string vest type it has to go under another rug. It will have no effect at all on its own.
I like the new wicking material ones. they are a lot more effective, less delicate and can be used without another rug on top, so you don't have two damp rugs to dry.

Thanks, Wally, that's what I thought. I've seen some really expensive wicking ones advertised - do you think they're better than cheaper ones? And what about fleece? That's quite cheap, but does it wick? We've used the woven kind on the others, but none of them is as heavy-coated or as sweaty as old Barnaby - not even the ponies.

I like the CoolMasta coolers or the Thermatex ones, they are really good esp. the Thermatex as it keeps them warm when its cold, but are quite expensive. The Bucas Shamrock Ultra is also good according to friends

100% wool is always good. Fiona- are Thermatex blanket sthe same material as thermax clothing for people? I have thermax long underwear, and it is wonderful for cold weather, because it keeps you warm even if it gets wet. If that is the same material as Thermatex, then I would think they would work very well.

Allie

I have got one I would not recommend. i cannot remember it's make but it is blue with red trim and red check thread running through it. Blue ties and webbing. every time I wash it, exactly as per instructions, it shrinks. It started of being generous for a 15.3 TBx ID and is now small for a 14.2 Highland.

newrider.com