COPD and itchy skin

HLDVS86

I have been asked by a friend to see if anyone here has experience of this.....the vet has said the horses itchy skin (all oveR) is linked to his COPD!? has anyone had this problem...if so how did you treat the itchy skin!?

I didnt know COPD could cause itchy skin but this is what the vet has told them so she is now trying to find out why and how to treat it!

Thanks in advance ;)

im not sure as itch skin all over can be caused by lots of things. my mare has itch skin all over but not copd. i took her off barley and her itching is not half as bad

Mine doesnt have COPD but I use silver lining herbs Immune mix and thats sorted his itchyness (and his coat is lovely)

i would imagine, it is because copd is almost an allergy to either dust or pollen.. ie it causes a reaction because the horses body cant tollerate the cause, is your friends horse copd triggered by pollen by any chance???

if this is the case, you may find human anti hystamines (sp) will help take the itch out. or there are many supplements on the market that may be worth ago.. alternitively does the horse currently have medication? it could be that causing the itch.

My mare has asthma and the medication she was on to begin with (probably the same as COPD) caused her to be really itchy - unfortuantly can't remember what it was now...

If the horse has COPD they might be atopic - basically this means they are particularly sensitive to things can cause asthma, eczema & other allergic conditions. So it could be the immune system of the horse that is the link.

newrider.com