Coronavirus worries

BW123

Apr 1, 2019
Hi there all.
I do hope you are all keeping well and safe.
Just wondered what you guys are doing with regards to this awful virus.
We have recently moved yards and my mare seems happier. Me and my daughter travel to the yard alone, we wear gloves , we feed our mare and do basic care, but my daughter still wants to ride. I've said it is best to ride alone in the menage. No hacking. My mare is 20 and I'm worried she will stiffen if not worked. Is anyone still riding with others and keeping 2 metre distancing rule?. my yard is well run and strict. I just don't want to be seen to be doing anything ' unnecessary' in the current climate.

If you have a look there's already a big thread running on Covid19 which is covering most issues relating to our horses as well as more general things.

Reactions: BW123
I think you will find BHS advice on this. And comments also on the Horse and Houund forum. Many people are not riding (however much they want to as exercise) because any accident will divert ambulence staff and doctors from the Corona patients who need them.

Reactions: BW123
BHS advice is just that - advice. Horse & Hound forum carries no weight whatsoever. There is no legal reason why you cannot ride, but be sensible - this is not the time to be doing riskier things such as backing, reschooling, cross country etc. But as I said before all of this has been covered in the other thread.

Thanks. I personally have told my daughter not to ride at the moment. I don't want to be in a position where anything happened, and we put more pressure on the already exhausted NHS. We can walk her out in hand through the fields as the yard is large, and I'm carrying her passport in case I'm Stopped in the car. stay safe everyone!!!! Best wishes

I was determined to keep riding until the government advised to the contrary, but our hacking is in forestry commission land and they have asked the public to stay away (its private land with permissive access so I would hate to see them permanently stop access if people don't respect their request) and I don't have a school so I've not been riding :( I'm hoping to get an area in the field set up for in hand, lunging and potentially some very steady flat work if he's settled enough but until then I'm happy just pottering about :)

I've posted elsewhere, that I'll ride for now (I'm safer on than off!) but If at any point it's clearly not to be done, I'll stop. I wonder if after all this is done with, if there'll be a flood of riding related injuries with all the horses being brought back into work? There I go again - OH always tells me I'm a "catastrophic thinker"! o_O

Im pretty sure there will be @Huggy. Ive been safer in the field since getting back on board and riding daily. No flailing legs coming in line with my head.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com