Coronavirus

One of my friends has severe asthma and she struggles to wear one she tried yesterday and made herself quite breathless, but she is more frightened of the backlash if she dares not to. That’s just wrong and very worrying.

That's awful for your friend. We've turned into a nation of tittle tattles and do-gooders haven't we. Bit like the naming and shaming over who wasn't clapping when they "should" have been. :rolleyes:

What bothers me about being offered a mask is, who has touched it first? I watched a short nhs Orkney video informing us of new procedures at the local hospital. There was a table with masks on. Not wrapped just laid out. Someone has handled those. It said even if you arrive wearing your own you'll be asked to remove it wear one of theirs. Now I might be being picky but surely someone touching them or the person before you isn't good at all right now? Why not have them in a dispenser that cannot be tampered with by the previous person? Oh, they did offer hand gel which you're meant to use first. Hmm. Lip service springs to mind. Not everyone will use that properly.
Why do I need to remove mine to touch theirs!

The ones being offered here are in a bag and yes you sanitize then pick up, bit pointless if your face isn't clean I guess.

I was in tractor supply earlier today
They now have a box of masks at the door with the sanitizer.
It was open to the air.
But it will force people trying to scam ohh I forgot mine etc to putting one on.
All doors going in anyplace now say
Masks required.

My husband got a hair cut... guy gene alert
I said did you make an appointment as we were leaving..
He gave me crap I got mad...what planet are you FROM ..
Every thing is APPOINTMENT ONLY NOW.
He called got one for as soon as we would be there.
I guess it was a good day and time it was empty being a beautiful but hot summer day.
Its not for me right now. I will use the long comb on the clippers..
It was pretty dead out ...
Everyone Is probably at the beach.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
One of my friends has severe asthma and she struggles to wear one she tried yesterday and made herself quite breathless, but she is more frightened of the backlash if she dares not to. That’s just wrong and very worrying.
She could wear a visor? That would offer her some protection and also she wouldn't have to worry about anyone saying anything then to her

Won't that just stream up?
I am thinking ahead a bit, but what happens in the bad weather when we will simply get wet. Yes I can carry a spare, but, going between shops assuming I ever do anything beyond what I am now, I will have a cold wet face.

• Wow
Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Ohhh hmmm wet masks in cold weather thats not going to be good.

I was in a department store. For the first time since all this late in the afernoon yesterday.

Target is a department store chain similar to a Walmart that added quite a decent food section a few years ago.

Wow it was a bit creepy eerie in the clothes section. It was quite empty so I took a walk about.
There are signs all over the racks no trying on allowed and even all along the shoe aisles. Unless your buying flip flops or its a particular thing you normally buy ..I get one brand and style of jeans..
Especially w shoes how can people not try them on.
It was really creepy hod podgy looking.
Going to other areas the store looked great.
The food section was fabulous and the office supply section too where I had to get something.
It really was a wakeup call to the new ugly
World. Very disturbing.
We lucked out too to get to market basket
For a big food stock up and thank god
It was very empty too being quite late in the day.

I don't know how people will cope on some levels thank god i know what i like and what fits with ariat boots etc.
But I really wish I knew of a sneaker that is great that I can just order.
I'M really glad my husband has a work shoe he likes that we can order.

I feel bad for fashion hounds with no trying on and no returns I bet they look a little
Less perfect.
Walking thru that clothes section really did seem like something concocted in the mind of the of Rod Serling from the old
Twilight Zone series. The only thing it was lacking was not being in black and white.

Reactions: Trewsers
@horseandgoatmom here although we can't try on we can return stuff, I guess it means staff aren't constantly cleaning changing rooms and also it's easier to keep clothes that have been tried on separate so they can be steamed before going back on the rails. But the don't touch unless you buy signs? I need to find the right size and see what washing instructions are (I avoid dry clean only). But in fairness I don't see what they can do that would be better.

I thought originally they talked about having it where you could try clothes on, and then an assistant would take them from you - assuming you didn't want to purchase. They were then going to be placed on other racks for three days for quarantine - (three days was enough they reckoned). And now you can't try them on, I suppose the thing would be too big to orchestrate in big shops like M & S. They'd need so many extra staff.

• Wow
Its one way to get the economy going. We all buy the wrong size so we get home find its wrong then go buy something else. I can see lots of clothes brand new in peoples wardrobes. But with charity shops not open i can see brand new clothes going to land fill ultimately. What a waste.

• Sad
Charity shops here are open but it's appointment to donate things. Car boots here are back open.
The community swapping table we have is still going strong. No clothes yet though.

To be fair I don't try on or touch before I buy, if you use ebay you simply go by a photo. If it doesn't fit I relist it, donate it, find someone to give it to.
I don't browse for the sake of it, unless on ebay. Then it's a cuppa and a nosey without getting off my bottom.

As for landfill in ten years time we will cringe at the volume of disposal masks and gloves that are floating in the sea. Not just from us, but this is worldwide. Not very green is it.

I work in a charity shop - Sue Ryder. Ours is the first to open in Wales, around 10-15 have been open for a couple of weeks in England. I'm lucky, we have a very bog store with plenty of room for social distancing. We allow 25 customers at a time in, though that's not been tested yet when I have been on duty. No mandatory masks in Wales (yet), but santizer at the door and plastic screens at the till. Donations have to be fetched to the back of the store and offloaded by the donor onto shelves, where they stay for 48 hours quarantined prior to sorting We clean counter tops. till points, door handles and the tops of islands hourly.

It's been my first week back and has been strange to say the least. I am very glad to be back doing something purposeful, but can't pretend there aren't concerns. 1. People handling all the goods, that's inevitable
2. The plastic screen covers the counter area, but stop before the actual till point
3. We take cash, so handle coins and change.

It's a strange world, but I can't hide away for ever and am getting on with it. At the moment it's only a couple of shifts weekly,

The screen doesn't sound fitted properly. It's meant to protect you. So at the till, leaving the counter free to put things on.
Some shops just have a gap to deal with money and you move along to the hatch to pick the food up.

You can't stop people touching things, but this goes back to the sanitizer on entry, clean hands and washing hands when you get in. I make so much mess with the sanitizer, you don't need much it goes a long way.

Well on today's briefing our governor
GREW A SET...
They have traced our upticks to a bunch of
Big cookouts.. pool parties. Baby shower.
Etc etc w no masks no distance.
When people got sick ohhh we dont know how many were here ..we don't have contact info..REALLY THEY COULD CONTACT TO INVITE TO THE BLOODY PARTY...
so she stepped up to stop this crap.
The gatherings limit was 25.. its now gone back down to 15..
And we are NOT going to phase 4.
Also a bunch of bars and restaurants were shut down for not following the rules
All those places and ongoing will be listed online.
Then people can look before going ...
Had they followed the rules or just blew it all off before they were shut down and forced to comply.
Thats Good too.
Let bad behavior BE CALLED OUT..

Reactions: Trewsers
As a family, we've decided to take masks to another level. I've made my own from a tutorial on YouTube, my daughter's bought a funky one from her hairdressers, my son's filched one from work that was made for his favourite footy team, my grandaughter's spent birthday money on a descendants one, and my grandson is using his ninja one. We're a colourful bunch - if you can't beat em - join em. We look like a motley crew of bank robbers.

newrider.com